Some say the next Sony and Microsoft consoles....

#1its_mattPosted 12/6/2012 5:39:07 PM(edited)
won't push tech much further than WiiU for economic reasons. If this is the case I fail to see the point in them replacing their current consoles as WiiU does not seem to push tech much further than PS3 and Xbox360.
#2WizardlyOhioPosted 12/6/2012 5:43:14 PM
Supposing this is true, you'd still have to buy since Microsoft/Sony will force devs to make games on the new platform regardless of how much better the tech might be. Not that that's a bad thing, considering Nintendo essentially can be said to have done the same thing with the Wii.
#3Enigma149Posted 12/6/2012 5:43:18 PM
Because they can?

Well, at least, Sony can. Since Sony has enough 1st party series that people will buy another console just for them, Sony could simply release the PS4 with specs at Wii U-levels (heck, they could make it weaker than the Wii U), stop making any games for the PS3, and announce some new major titles for the PS4. People would have no choice but to buy a PS4 if they wanted to play Sony's games.

Microsoft, on the other hand, is at the mercy of 3rd parties and Halo. 3rd parties will release games for all the systems capable of running them, and Halo 4 just came out. They'd need to provide another incentive, and, thanks to the incredible shallowness and lack of desire to try new series in Xbox fanboys, the only thing that'd work is graphics.
---
3DS:4897-5935-1924; PS3 sold in anticipation of PS4. If you added CrimsonEnigma, I no longer use the account.
'Your opinion does not matter.' -DesperateMonkey
#4SuperShyGuy9000Posted 12/6/2012 5:47:54 PM
I've been saying Sony should stay with PS3 for the longest at least until they break even on the whole endeavor. Naughty Dog is pulling some great looking stuff out of the PS3 these days it could last a few more years.
#5lgiPosted 12/6/2012 5:53:56 PM
SuperShyGuy9000 posted...
I've been saying Sony should stay with PS3 for the longest at least until they break even on the whole endeavor. Naughty Dog is pulling some great looking stuff out of the PS3 these days it could last a few more years.

I wanted a few more years so they can do some things with the Vita connectivity. It can be good for the Wii U. There can be some ideas from a PS3/Vita game that can be used for the Wii U and vice versa.
#6MegagunstarmanPosted 12/6/2012 5:56:01 PM
The point is to make money.

/topic
---
I'm not changing this until a new Jet Set Radio is announced. Started 10/13/11
#7its_matt(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 5:56:14 PM
The more I think about it the WiiU is really just bringing the DS experience to this generation's home games consoles. Now where are Nintendo's own triple A titles that give me a reason to buy their format?
#8its_matt(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 5:58:56 PM
Megagunstarman posted...

/topic

Launching a console costs a fortune so the spend must be justified, can't see the point in replacing a format only for it to be able to do a slightly improved version of more of the same.
#9MegagunstarmanPosted 12/6/2012 6:01:34 PM
its_matt posted...
Megagunstarman posted...

/topic

Launching a console costs a fortune so the spend must be justified, can't see the point in replacing a format only for it to be able to do a slightly improved version of more of the same.

They will be entry level PCs. They can be profitable at $300 with a 2X boost in power over last gen. The profit margin will improve over time.
---
I'm not changing this until a new Jet Set Radio is announced. Started 10/13/11
#10kamikaze135Posted 12/6/2012 6:03:14 PM
Because of the following reasons:

- They will easily be able to render games at 1080p @ 60fps. The current tech struggles to natively display games at 1080p.
- New system = hype
- Sony will (hopefully) make it easier to develop so it won't get bad ports like the PS3 does
---
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden