How come people are turned off by Zelda games utilizing motion controls?

#1SpiegaPosted 12/7/2012 5:11:26 AM
I think they're great! It adds a great deal of depth to the combat I think! Usually, in other Zelda games like OoT or MM, you get swarmed by a bunch of moblins and just mash A with the lock on button until all of them are dead!

With motion controls, you actually need to think a little and know where to slash. Its also so much more fun and active! Skyward Sword had so many enemies that needed to be hit at certain angles in order to defeat them, and that made the fighting a bit more difficult and added strategy.

Now that they have the technology for it, I really can't imagine Nintendo going back to the regular Zelda controls on the console games. It would only seem like an unnecessary step backwards. The games are still as great as ever, too. If you are going to let something as silly as motion controls turn you off from buying a Zelda game because you only want to mindlessly mash A while being a couch potato, you should probably just go play some old Zelda games instead.
#2GameLord113Posted 12/7/2012 5:17:06 AM
Some people dont like to flail around while playing games. They should have had options.
#3EoinPosted 12/7/2012 5:18:12 AM
A lot of people just don't like motion controls. How is that so hard to understand?

Also, it's a bit silly to be saying that if people want a Zelda game with traditional controls, that they should just replay one of the older ones. How would you react if, when telling someone you wanted a new Zelda game with motion controls, they just told you to replay Skyward Sword?
#4DeathSoul2000Posted 12/7/2012 5:21:48 AM
because people are idiots.
#5ShadonicPosted 12/7/2012 5:22:15 AM
IMO my only issue with the motion controls is that your arm can get tired if you play for very long.. I know you -shouldn't- be playing for long periods anyway, but, I do, always have, always will.

Iono, I do miss some of the typical controls, I play nintendo land and yes, the Zelda battle quest is fun with teh archery, but the sword fighting imo would've been better with standard controls, at least for an option, no lock on if need be to keep things fair.

some games do take off with it, some games suffer for it, like the ninja -throwing star game..

It's a fun idea and it can add alot if used properly, but alternative schemes are always a bonus, I've played TP both on the wii with a motion controller, and on GC with the old style controller. the motion controller was a fun experiment, but ultimately my focus was more on the game itself on the GC, and less on how the controller worked. We've been doing stabs, jumping attacks, vertical slashes, horizontal slashes, spinning slashes, and 45 degree cuts since OoT just fine with only a joystick, so it's not like you couldn't get variety there.
---
Gah! My 0's fallen off! has anyone seen it?
#6YoyokuKOPosted 12/7/2012 5:31:54 AM(edited)
you don't even need your arm to play
flick your wrist.

wm+ is accurate enough to know what direction you want to swing.
had no problem fighting or diving. in fact, there was no learning curve for me

edit, i just wish there were parries
#7ShadonicPosted 12/7/2012 5:36:21 AM
You know what I'd like to see?

Wii Motion plus controls mixed with a game like Metal Gear: Revengeancing (or w/e the name was).

running around as a cyborg ninja and taking down anything from robotic attack dogs, to soldiers, to giant walking mechs, being forced to parry by mimicking the motions with the wii mote? now that would be awesome.
---
Gah! My 0's fallen off! has anyone seen it?
#8GencoilPosted 12/7/2012 5:38:55 AM
Motion controls made battles feel a lot more engaging, it allowed you to really sink yourself into the role of Link. Swordplay actually felt like real swordplay this time, or at least close to it.
---
www.klustr.net || http://passid.ca/recoil || Xbox LIVE: Nitesoul || PSN: Gencoil
#9Shah138Posted 12/7/2012 5:49:50 AM
Except when it doesn't properly read your movements, then it just sucks.
---
http://i.imgur.com/sLzTB.jpg http://i.imgur.com/CM6pz.jpg http://i.minus.com/iIOc9KdTGstCq.gif
#10Spiega(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 5:53:23 AM
Eoin posted...
A lot of people just don't like motion controls. How is that so hard to understand?

Also, it's a bit silly to be saying that if people want a Zelda game with traditional controls, that they should just replay one of the older ones. How would you react if, when telling someone you wanted a new Zelda game with motion controls, they just told you to replay Skyward Sword?

I don't know, I think I would feel fine actually. Because honestly, that's probably what I'd end up doing myself, replaying Skyward Sword!