How come people are turned off by Zelda games utilizing motion controls?

#51DanspurtPosted 12/7/2012 9:56:33 AM(edited)
I kinda think the whole "if it's not broken, don't fix it" idea is a bit wrong, at least in terms of entertainment. Yes, ice cream is awesome. But I can't eat it day after day without mixing things up. I can still go back and eat the normal ice cream even though I'm suddenly served something different, it's not like the old products suddenly vanished.
So yes, while I found Skyward Sword's controls to be a cool change, I don't hope it's the new standard. I still want stuff mixed up a little.

Shah138 posted...
Uhh, what? You would just press the A button to pick it up, and the A button again to throw it, just like you would in Wind Waker or Twliight Princess. You could sidestep in combat in the other games too.

1. Look at the context. I was referring to tossing pumpkins by stabbing them and slashing with the sword. Like with the water bags in the sixth temple.
2. I meant the sidestep jump you do, with the A button. If your thumb is in the right control stick to use the sword, it's occupied and can't use the ABXY buttons.
---
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never really know how accurate they actually are" - Abraham Lincoln
#52bond465Posted 12/7/2012 9:52:15 AM
Personally I hated how swings didn't register sometimes. Motion controls haven't come far enough to play an entire game with them.
#53Banjo2553Posted 12/7/2012 10:16:39 AM
There's two reasons:

- They don't like motion controls in the first place.
- They had a bad experience with Skyward Sword.

I'm neither, but I still think motion controls for Zelda should be a one-time deal. It was pretty neat and I didn't have a problem with it, but I can't see it being the norm.
---
Come see my game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
#54JoeSkeletorPosted 12/7/2012 10:19:24 AM
Spiega posted...
joeskeletor posted...
Your topic ceased to make since when you said it adds depth. It adds only frustration and headace twilight prince was ok but skyward sword was terrible and the worst zelda ever.

If your reasoning for SS being the worst Zelda game of all is because it has motion controls, then that is pretty bad logic there, don't ya think? =/

I mean, just because you don't like motion controls, doesn't mean everyone else hates them too.

It was the worst in my opinion i could care less about yours and yes the motion controls ruined the game for me i hated trying to fly or roll bombs etc etc it sucked.
---
It puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.
#55GEKGanonPosted 12/7/2012 11:31:04 AM
The fact of the matter is, Skyward Sword pointed out precisely what is wrong with motion controlled Zelda games: precision. If everything worked perfectly, it would have been fine, but I found the game frequently overreached the functionality of the controller.
---
Steam Name: gekganon
#56cruxPosted 12/7/2012 11:37:59 AM
Out of curiosity, does anyone here have a suggestion of how to move Zelda forward without rehashing Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, or Twilight Princess? It's easy to look back and praise previous titles, but if all the complaints are centered around Skyward Sword controlling differently and how they should have stuck to their roots, it makes me wonder if Nintendo can move on at all. Seems to me not even Skyward Sword was much of a departure from the past (in the same respect that Ocarina was to its predecessors) and perhaps Nintendo would be better off focusing on creating some new IPs or reviving some old ones instead.
#57Banjo2553Posted 12/7/2012 12:42:37 PM(edited)
crux posted...
Out of curiosity, does anyone here have a suggestion of how to move Zelda forward without rehashing Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, or Twilight Princess? It's easy to look back and praise previous titles, but if all the complaints are centered around Skyward Sword controlling differently and how they should have stuck to their roots, it makes me wonder if Nintendo can move on at all. Seems to me not even Skyward Sword was much of a departure from the past (in the same respect that Ocarina was to its predecessors) and perhaps Nintendo would be better off focusing on creating some new IPs or reviving some old ones instead.

While I don't have anything super-specific in mind, it's definitely possible to do this. Just create a unique-enough story, unique puzzles, revamp the battle system (so that it's more than just lock-on and swing your sword, possibly even removing lock-on in general and making combat more seamless), not re-use temple concepts and designs, use a different origin story for the game's Link (something more than just "an unlikely hero", which I guess would tie in to the whole "more unique story" thing), etc.

Like, my idea for a unique story that wouldn't just follow the same old formula, is that Link is living in a goddess-less world. Almost nobody believes in the goddesses anymore, and Link is one of the only people who still does. He has some kind of "divine intervention" and sets out on an adventure in behalf of the goddesses to restore Hyrule's faith. They could still keep dungeons and temples and stuff, but be more inventive with entering some of them. Like an example would be one being set in a prison with a deadly beast wandering around (a mobile boss...!) that you have to avoid until you find a way to beat him (not necessarily just finding the dungeon's item). Link's purpose for being there is because he gets caught by a bunch of guards (happens in the story) and gets thrown in there and he has to escape. Just an idea thrown out there. Of course Link's equipment would be taken and he'd have to get them back, just for things to make sense. Anyway, after like, most of the game, it's found out that the reason Hyrule's been so godless is because of the King that's been ruling over it. So shock-and-awe, the King that has been talked about as being "beneficial" to Hyrule is actually found out to be the bad guy. So your new mission is to head towards the King and defeat him, with him being the final boss. Note that in no way is Ganondorf or someone who genuinely looks evil (stereotypical evil, is what I'm talking about) the current King of Hyrule. Just someone who looks personable but has evil intentions in mind.
---
Come see my game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
#58AceMosPosted 12/7/2012 12:59:16 PM
im 26 ive been playing zelda since iw as 3 and i found SS to be the best zelda yet
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#59GEKGanonPosted 12/8/2012 4:47:19 PM
^
I thought the story was maybe the best. The gameplay was a little weak. I was so disappointed that they kept sending me through large portions of the same areas over and over again. I ended up feeling like I was playing a daunting fetch quest or something.
---
Steam Name: gekganon
#60DiscostewSMPosted 12/8/2012 4:49:05 PM
Because some people only want to move their thumbs and fingers as they rot on the couch.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project