Nintendo block 18+ rated content from being viewed/bought at certain times

#11EoinPosted 12/7/2012 7:53:57 AM
Petey_Meanis posted...
Wow, seriously Europe? I mean really? Naked boobs, wieners and butts are perfectly normal there on regular TV and everywhere else. Is it a violence thing?

It's based on the PEGI ratings of the game. This means that any eShop game with a high age rating (for whatever reason) could be affected by this. For the sake of perspective, PEGI 18-rated games on the Wii U are ZombiU, Assassin's Creed 3, COD: Black Ops 2 and Mass Effect 3.

By the way, just for the sake of clarity: there is this myth that Europe is okay with sex but not violence and the US is okay with violence but not sex. In reality, most of Europe is fine with showing violence in entertainment targeted towards adults. Only a very few European countries have any really restrictive laws on the depiction of violence.
#12selfdeztructionPosted 12/7/2012 7:54:21 AM
It needs to just rely on the nintendo id in use and the parental control settings.
---
XBL / PSN (PS3 & vita) / Wii-U / Skype - selfdeztruction
Wii FC (HaVoK) 6605 3315 8599 4345 3DS XL FC(HaVoK) 3780 9281 5652 I'm no fanboy,I'm a dirty whore
#13abort_missionPosted 12/7/2012 8:04:10 AM
ouch
---
"I speak horse. He's called Susan, and he wants you to respect his life choices."
#14mcsmellington(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 8:04:56 AM
"We have thus decided to restrict the access to content which is unsuitable to minors (PEGI) to the 11pm - 3am time window."

Why do they stop letting people access the 18+ content at 3.am?? >_>

If they have to do a stupid system like this, wouldn't something like 9 - 6 make more sense? And what happens if you're downloading and run past the cut off? I assume it doesn't cancel the download...
---
GT: McPoo
PSN/NNID: McSmellington
#15game freakozoidPosted 12/7/2012 8:07:52 AM
Eoin posted...
Petey_Meanis posted...
Wow, seriously Europe? I mean really? Naked boobs, wieners and butts are perfectly normal there on regular TV and everywhere else. Is it a violence thing?

It's based on the PEGI ratings of the game. This means that any eShop game with a high age rating (for whatever reason) could be affected by this. For the sake of perspective, PEGI 18-rated games on the Wii U are ZombiU, Assassin's Creed 3, COD: Black Ops 2 and Mass Effect 3.

By the way, just for the sake of clarity: there is this myth that Europe is okay with sex but not violence and the US is okay with violence but not sex. In reality, most of Europe is fine with showing violence in entertainment targeted towards adults. Only a very few European countries have any really restrictive laws on the depiction of violence.

It's not which one of the two is hated and the other is loved. It is just considered which one is considered more severe. America considers sex and nudity to be more severe than violence whereas a lot of Europe doesn't view sex and nudity as harshly and thus by that account violence is the more severe one. I think you are looking at that statement the wrong way.
#16PedroMontanaPosted 12/7/2012 8:11:04 AM
This is not Nintendo's fault, it's Germany's ridiculous "youth protection" laws.

I'm not sure how Microsoft deals with this, but Sony's PSN prepaid cards are rated 18+, that's obviously not an acceptable solution for Nintendo.
---
No More Heroes
#17_FalstaffPosted 12/7/2012 8:20:46 AM(edited)
11 PM to 3 AM is 5 hours. Are there millions of people in Europe who only have free time from 11 PM to 3 AM? Is Europe composed entirely of night owls?

Not that I'm saying it isn't kind of silly, but seriously, buy the game during the other 19 hours of that day available to you. Easily sidestepped that issue.
---
9 days to go, and I'm out of here.
#18Muddy_ApePosted 12/7/2012 8:20:50 AM
11 PM to 3 AM is 5 hours. Are there millions of people in Europe who only have free time from 11 PM to 3 AM? Is Europe composed entirely of night owls?

I guess so, lol.
---
http://i.imgur.com/6qxWz.jpg http://i.imgur.com/Lcypz.jpg
#19MegagunstarmanPosted 12/7/2012 8:28:51 AM
PedroMontana posted...
This is not Nintendo's fault, it's Germany's ridiculous "youth protection" laws.

I'm not sure how Microsoft deals with this, but Sony's PSN prepaid cards are rated 18+, that's obviously not an acceptable solution for Nintendo.

Could Sweden, Norway, and Denmark also be part of the problem?

I ask because of this: http://shoryuken.com/2011/05/23/dead-or-alive-dimensions-banned-in-sweden/
---
I'm not changing this until a new Jet Set Radio is announced. Started 10/13/11
#20DuskDweller1978Posted 12/7/2012 8:29:01 AM
It's April 1st already?!