Nintendo block 18+ rated content from being viewed/bought at certain times

#201AwesomeOSaucePosted 12/8/2012 5:46:48 AM
Eoin posted...
tomloadsadosh posted...
This is how PEGI works:
If the game has sex then it's rated 16.
if the game has gore then it's rated 18.

It's really not that simple.

true.
---
http://soundcloud.com/sunnyterra/audio-recording-on-monday-29
^ Hermiione says my name and says I''m cute! ^_^
#202PedroMontanaPosted 12/8/2012 10:57:42 AM
Janni87 posted...
PedroMontana posted...
The J0ker posted...
ElGado posted...
And people try and say Nintendo is "adult based." Yeah, I really believe that!!!

Actually, Nintendo have always targeted people of all ages. The demographic they're weakest in is typically 13-17 year old "I ain't playin no kiddy games" males.

That's beside the point, though. NoE overreacted here and I would be surprised if this isn't changed at least outside of Germany.

Again, the only alternative is to make the prepaid cards 18+ in Germany like Sony, and that's clearly the worse alternative for Nintendo as it would completely keep most Germans under 18 from the eShop.

That the eShop contend is AVAILABLE for Germans under 18 is more important then how COMFORTABLE it is for people in other European countries.

And please let's stop talking like all European countries are equal, Germany is big and wealthy, the only compareable countries are France and the UK, and even those have lower populations and are doing worse economically.
The other European countries are either very small with populations under 20 million or they are in financial trouble. Germany is likely 33% percent of the European market, not some random small place.

not to burst your bubble pal, but you are aware that Norway is one of the, if not the richest countries in the world.
No financial crisis here either.

Sure, that's why i also noted that Germany is big.
I know Norway and many other small countries in Europe are doing well (and rightfully so, particularly the countries in the north are handling a lot of things better then Germany). The thing is, Norway has a population of under 5 million people, Germany has a population of over 80 million.

I'd guess the number of German Wii U owners under 18 will be larger then the entire population of Norway, Switzerland, Lichtenstein and a bunch of other European countries combined in a few years.
---
No More Heroes
#203EoinPosted 12/8/2012 11:11:04 AM
PedroMontana posted...
I'd guess the number of German Wii U owners under 18 will be larger then the entire population of Norway, Switzerland, Lichtenstein and a bunch of other European countries combined in a few years.

Are you actually serious? Or do you mean that the population of Wii U owners under 18 in Germany will be larger than the Wii U owning members of the population in those countries that you named?
#204HakuPosted 12/8/2012 11:23:20 AM
Everyone else manages to comply with the Germans without screwing the rest of Europe. Steam will give you censored versions of games and remove some completely if it detects a German ip. Xbox live has restricted content to Germans.

This method is just stupid. Just have the Eshop block based on ip. German ip address, you get the restricted content message, not a German ip, everything works fine.

Everyone is happy. Germans have their censorship, no one else gives a damn as it doesn't effect them.
#205AsuirPosted 12/8/2012 11:34:45 AM
Eoin posted...
PedroMontana posted...

Are you actually serious? Or do you mean that the population of Wii U owners under 18 in Germany will be larger than the Wii U owning members of the population in those countries that you named?

Are you surprised? Have you read any of his other posts? The amount of jingoism in his posts is insane.
---
Ftw!
#206mcsmellington(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 11:52:05 AM
Haku posted...
Everyone else manages to comply with the Germans without screwing the rest of Europe. Steam will give you censored versions of games and remove some completely if it detects a German ip. Xbox live has restricted content to Germans.

This method is just stupid. Just have the Eshop block based on ip. German ip address, you get the restricted content message, not a German ip, everything works fine.

Everyone is happy. Germans have their censorship, no one else gives a damn as it doesn't effect them.

Yeah that would have been a better system really. I don't understand the reasoning behind the chosen timeframe either, tbh. It's all very strange.
---
GT: McPoo
PSN/NNID: McSmellington
#207PedroMontanaPosted 12/8/2012 3:20:59 PM
Eoin posted...
PedroMontana posted...

In 2011, there were 5 million Wiis sold in Germany, that was already more then the entire population of Norway.
The lifetime DS sales in Germany hit 8.6 millions.
Of course, both systems kept selling through 2012 (with games like Pokemon B&W2 and Inazuma Eleven), so the Wii might be close to 6 million units now and the DS is likely over 9 million units.

I'd expect the vast majority of the DS owners to be younger then 18.

So for the DS it's actually likely that there are more DS systems in the hands of german minors then there are people in Norway, Lichtenstein, Malta and Monaco combined (no idea how i got the idea Switzerland was that small, lol).

About/To that other poster that accuses me of jingoism, that's not true. I'm merely watching at this from an economic perspective:
Making everyone in Europe wait for the night to download 18+ software might hurt digital software sales in Europe less then making it difficult for german minors to buy digital by making the prepaid cards in Germany 18+.

I personally do not like these weird laws we have in Germany, and i'd love to see some EU law overrule this censorship nonsense, but it's not up to Nintendo to change that.
They have to work with the choices they have:
1. Annoy adults in Europe by restricting the distribution of 18+ material to the night (That's what they do).
2. Hurt the sales to minors (in Germany, but possibly also other places where age restrictions are strict and legally enforceable like Australia or the UK) by making the prepaid cards 18+ (What Sony does).

Perhaps Sony's solution is better, but the only way to find out is to actually test the different possibilities.
---
No More Heroes
#208HakuPosted 12/8/2012 3:35:58 PM
PedroMontana posted...

I personally do not like these weird laws we have in Germany, and i'd love to see some EU law overrule this censorship nonsense, but it's not up to Nintendo to change that.
They have to work with the choices they have:
1. Annoy adults in Europe by restricting the distribution of 18+ material to the night (That's what they do).
2. Hurt the sales to minors (in Germany, but possibly also other places where age restrictions are strict and legally enforceable like Australia or the UK) by making the prepaid cards 18+ (What Sony does).

Perhaps Sony's solution is better, but the only way to find out is to actually test the different possibilities.

They have other choices though. They could do what Steam and Xbox live does. Steam restricts based on ip. Germans get censored versions and sometimes completely miss out. Xbox, Germans have their own marketplace and I think ip detection (pretty sure I have read of Germans trying to get stuff from UK store and getting unavailable in your region).

Neither of these choices require them to make cards 18+ or mess with the rest of Europe.

Oh and cards being 18+ would do nothing here (UK). PSN cards aren't age restricted even though there is mature content on psn.
#209AwesomeOSaucePosted 12/9/2012 3:44:27 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#210mcsmellington(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2012 3:15:29 AM(edited)
Turns out it is German law!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-10-nintendo-explains-crazy-wii-u-eshop-restrictions

Fair play to those who called it. Guess it's because their headquarters are there, which is why Sony/Microsoft don't have the same restrictions.

Still don't get the logic behind the 10 - 4 / 11 - 3 time restriction though.
---
GT: McPoo
PSN/NNID: McSmellington