Nintendo block 18+ rated content from being viewed/bought at certain times

#31EoinPosted 12/7/2012 9:59:38 AM
GM_ posted...
Europe actually rates M-17 games as 18+ (Adult Only)?

European ratings for games are 3, 7, 12, 16 and 18 (for most European countries, some have different systems). 18-rated games are considerably more accepted than the nearest equivalent US rating (which would be AO). The rating systems don't map directly onto each other, however.
#32T3H_1337_N1NJ4Posted 12/7/2012 10:04:09 AM
They better change that quick. What a stupid stupid decision.
---
To err is human, but to really screw things up you need a computer!
NNID: CodenameGreyFox
#33kissdadookiePosted 12/7/2012 10:04:19 AM
Megagunstarman posted...
PedroMontana posted...
This is not Nintendo's fault, it's Germany's ridiculous "youth protection" laws.

I'm not sure how Microsoft deals with this, but Sony's PSN prepaid cards are rated 18+, that's obviously not an acceptable solution for Nintendo.

Could Sweden, Norway, and Denmark also be part of the problem?

I ask because of this: http://shoryuken.com/2011/05/23/dead-or-alive-dimensions-banned-in-sweden/

Nope, they would just refuse to rate the game and allow it to be sold in the country altogether. That's what that DoA ban was.

So this current issue is entirely an issue that is specific to Nintendo and only Nintendo, seeing how these restrictions do not exist for XBL and PSN.
#34AwesomeOSaucePosted 12/7/2012 10:06:13 AM
If Nintendo doesn't fix this I'm f***ing selling my Wii U.

I'm a grown ass 32 year old man and I want to buy my f***ing games whenever I want just like I can on the PS3 and 360 online stores.

F*** you Nintendo.
Having to stay up late to buy games???
What a why to f*** with 3rd party devs... I bet they will love to find out hardly anyone bought their games digitally because it was restricted to a certain time to purchase it.

Then people wonder why everyone considers Nintendo kiddy >_>
and they wonder why 3rd party devs that make adult games leave >__>

when kiddy games sell more just because you can't buy adult ones until late a night.
---
http://soundcloud.com/sunnyterra/audio-recording-on-monday-29
^ Hermiione says my name and says I''m cute! ^_^
#35AdamLazarusoPosted 12/7/2012 10:06:26 AM
It's nothing to do with 'European culture'. Americans are probably more repressed than Europeans, generally.

It's just Nintendo being mental.
---
We should make a verbal agreement to only kiss each other.
#36AwesomeOSaucePosted 12/7/2012 10:12:03 AM
>2012
>Nintendo needlessly censoring stuff
>wtf?
>saying they want to reach the core audience
>wanting to break the kiddy family image...

lol yup on the right track derp
---
#37AwesomeOSaucePosted 12/7/2012 10:18:35 AM
So after some searching I found Nintendo is doing this because of Germany!!!

Nintendo Europe headquarters are located in Germany.
Germany thought it would be good for all the youth in Europe to impose these paternalistic laws on everyone >_>

Nintendo then not only restricted just the German eshop BUT EVERY SINGLE eshop in europe!!!
---
#38NyyarkPosted 12/7/2012 10:22:46 AM
"Dear customer," a Nintendo representative replied, "we would like to let you know that Nintendo has always aimed to offer gameplay experiences suited to all age groups, observing carefully all the relevant regulations regarding content access that are present in the various European countries.

Sounds like their just following the laws of some EU member states, and if I remember rightly you have to maintain equality in pricing and availability for online sales across EU member states. Maybe Nintendo is adhering to the law a little more zealously than everyone else?
#39EoinPosted 12/7/2012 10:26:57 AM
AwesomeOSauce posted...
So after some searching I found Nintendo is doing this because of Germany!!!

Nintendo Europe headquarters are located in Germany.
Germany thought it would be good for all the youth in Europe to impose these paternalistic laws on everyone >_>

Nintendo then not only restricted just the German eshop BUT EVERY SINGLE eshop in europe!!!

This has nothing to do with German law.
#40EoinPosted 12/7/2012 10:31:24 AM(edited)
Nyyark posted...
I remember rightly you have to maintain equality in pricing and availability for online sales across EU member states.

Nope, no such law. In fact, you'll find that Nintendo vary availability of eShop games across the EU, as well as varying eShop pricing across the EU.