Things Wii U Does Better than 360

#1guttertalkPosted 12/7/2012 1:50:46 PM
This is NOT about what console is best. It's about where I think the Wii U gets some things right. It doesn't mean that it doesn't have faults. But with all the (often exaggerated) comments about the specs, it's worth talking about features. In particular, I'm comparing it the 360 which I've owned for nearly 6 years. And I've found that I like the Wii U in several areas far more than the 360. And, sorry, trolls, that doesn't mean that I hate the 360.

Accounts -- While the account management is similar on both platforms, I always hated that I had to pay extra for family members to have Gold Membership on the 360. Yes, they could have a friends list and chat, but they didn't have online gaming. With the Wii U, they have the same access that I do. On the 360, they often used my account to play online, which sometimes caused confusion with their friends. With the Wii U, there's no reason not to use their own Miis/accounts.

UI -- I've always found Microsoft UIs cluttered. The logic behind their organization is not always intuitive. Through all their dashboard designs, I've found them all quite bad. I've watched my tech-savvy wife (who works at Cisco with their various products) fumble with the Xbox dashboard. It's somewhat better now, but it's still confusing and clunky, as it takes 2-3 actions to watch a movie, for example. With the Wii U, that grid-based UI allows users to organize their apps and, until you have a lot of apps, is easy to navigate, giving one-action access to an app. (I still find the grid-based UI a problem, as I've found with our iPod Touch, but it's an improvement.) Add to that the fact that I can customize and prioritize the apps that I use the most often with the Wii U. The 360's My Pins is nearly useless as it doesn't really make access much easier.

Ads -- This is closely related to the point about the UI, but it's worth separating. And that is the 360 Dashboard's main focus is ads. Yes, sometimes, they're ads for interesting content, but they're still ads. With the Wii U (and 3DS and Wii), the focus is far more on the apps and games as the ads are almost non-existent until you enter eShop. While this is considered a problem in that it doesn't promote games, the Wara Wara plaza and eShop localize the ads, allow the console's main UI to focus on user goals of "I want to play X" or "I want to do X."

Controller -- This is more subjective than the other items, but I've never liked the 360 controllers. Yeah, I'm older gamer. So, my thumbs and index finger hurt because of the 360 form. For me, the Gamepad is FAR more comfortable. Not everyone will agree, I understand that. But my index fingers are not nearly as crooked. For my right thumb, the joystick location is far more comfortable. The only thing is that pushing A, my thumb makes an somewhat awkward bend. Maybe it has to do with the angles that the different controllers require of my wrists, but I find the Gamepad more comfortable.

Miiverse -- I'm liking this feature far, far more than I expected. I had, in fact, dismissed it at first. I'm not shy or a prude, but I've found XBL with strangers a barely tolerable experience. Maybe it's the "bro" culture. Sure, not everyone there is a jerk. But it doesn't take many to ruin it. The Miiverse is almost too saccharine at times, but it's more than just the tenor of the posts. It is a social media far more integrated with the Wii U games than what I saw with Twitter and Facebook on the 360. It's the difference between a social app designed for gamers versus general social apps linked to gaming.

I would still like cross-game chatting. And the Wii U's UI is unacceptably slow in several places (and nearly negates the good things above). So, it's hardly hit the nail on the head. But I've seen a lot of comments that Nintendo just needs to copy what's already been done. I think their doing things differently has proved actually better in several areas.
#2Reflex-ArcPosted 12/7/2012 1:56:35 PM
It certainly plays Nintendo games better than a 360!
---
I like video games.
#3LinetrixPosted 12/7/2012 2:00:06 PM
It freezes and bricks better than the 360 as well.
---
It doesn't matter the additional notes say opinions aren't trolling. The Notes are wrong and your opinion is trolling - GameFAQs moderation
#4DXiRoNMaNPosted 12/7/2012 2:00:12 PM
it collects dust better
---
XBL- DXiRoNMaN PSN- DXiRoNMaN WiiFC- 7177 5213 2278 2695
"I'm like the only smartest one on this board with like 5 other people." - some moron
#5dbhomiePosted 12/7/2012 2:00:56 PM
Even with those specs it still crashes like mad, at least the 360 was made more durable because it was made by microsoft who at least have proper experience with computers for say many years... Nintendo seems to know squat from how they didn't check the bugs in the Wii U to begin with.
---
My PBR friend code is: 2105-7453-9147
#6SuperShyGuy9000Posted 12/7/2012 2:02:00 PM
Topic's title screams come troll here.

Maybe you should rename it "Things Wii U got right"
#7guttertalk(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2012 2:10:12 PM
SuperShyGuy9000 posted...
Topic's title screams come troll here.

Maybe you should rename it "Things Wii U got right"

The trolls would come anyway. If people can't be rational about valid comparisons, that's their problem. I'm not going to mollycoddle their insecurities.

The troll comments above would be there regardless because they can't accept that a console can things both well and badly.
#8darklink1017Posted 12/7/2012 2:10:51 PM
it has a better chance of flopping than the 360
---
http://cdn.wg.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/snooki.gif
http://i.imgur.com/lOqsi.gif
#9andrea987Posted 12/7/2012 2:17:58 PM
dbhomie posted...
Even with those specs it still crashes like mad, at least the 360 was made more durable because it was made by microsoft who at least have proper experience with computers for say many years... Nintendo seems to know squat from how they didn't check the bugs in the Wii U to begin with.

lol, '...at least the 360 was made more durable...', nice one man, I needed a good laugh.
#10ssjmolePosted 12/7/2012 2:20:26 PM
Linetrix posted...
It freezes and bricks better than the 360 as well.

No, Nothing quiet bricks like 360 and the now infamous RROD
---
*Gets on his knees and worships Beth Phoenix*
Wrestling,TV,Movie.games and much more reviewed and discussed here : http://xpound.proboards.com/