Nintendo ignoring the Spike's VGAs shows how out of touch they are with gamers

#181JPdelaGhettoPosted 12/9/2012 1:23:49 AM
PhaseBlack posted...
Why didnt Nintendo do anything for Spike's VGA 10?

Because they know most gamers don't pay attention to the VGAs. That's the equivalent of caring who gets a moon man from the VMAs.

It's not even about the games anymore.
---
"This is my gift, it is my curse." - Peter Parker
#182ShinChuckPosted 12/9/2012 1:23:53 AM
Sporting just over half a million viewers (and sliding each year - look it up!), the Spike TV VGAs have never been particularly serious business. They've praised companies I like, they've taken shots at companies I like, I don't care, it's irrelevant.

To put it into perspective...

Super hot shows, like Big Bang Theory and NCIS, nail about 17-20 million. Shows like Private Practice (and a few others in the same range) have managed 7-8 million this year... and are being canceled.

Even compared to other cable-specific programs, half a million isn't that good. Shows like WWE Raw garners 3.5-4 million viewers, and that's considering years of sliding ratings.
---
GamerTag: ShinChuck, PSN: ShinChuck1
http://homepage.mac.com/shinchuck - Video games, YouTube, Deviantart, Etcetera.
#183beastwarkingPosted 12/9/2012 1:40:31 AM
Even if people hate "brodudes" and "people who live in their basements," money is money. I think it's very flawed to think that Nintendo not advertising at the VGAs was a good thing. Do you think that MS gives two ****s what a few forum dwellers think about their image? Hell no, that's why their market cap currently sits at $33B and it is why they do these events. They, like Sony, want to target as many people as possible. See the Kinect and move as proof of that. Given that Nintendo had the lowest attach rate for last generation, I think it would be prudent for the big N to try to appeal to as many people as possible and even more so given the fact that this is a brand new console out right before Christmas.

Are the awards dumb? You bet your ass they are. But between the reveals, which were pretty neat to be honest, and the huge crowd of viewers, it would have been nice if Nintendo had something, or anything really to show. And while this is a pretty minor event, not an E3 or anything, it still is more potential buyers that it can get to buy their system. More people who are likely to buy games like CoD, and Halo, and Ass Creed are going to draw those same publishers who make Dishonored, who make Dead Space, and who Make Ni No Kuni.

So please, stop complaining about potentially more people buying the system you support. It's good for Nintendo, it's good for third-party devs, and most importantly, it's good for you
---
ba-weep-gra-na-weep-ninny-bong
#184NotoriousIynxPosted 12/9/2012 1:44:21 AM
beastwarking posted...
Even if people hate "brodudes" and "people who live in their basements," money is money. I think it's very flawed to think that Nintendo not advertising at the VGAs was a good thing. Do you think that MS gives two ****s what a few forum dwellers think about their image? Hell no, that's why their market cap currently sits at $33B and it is why they do these events. They, like Sony, want to target as many people as possible. See the Kinect and move as proof of that. Given that Nintendo had the lowest attach rate for last generation, I think it would be prudent for the big N to try to appeal to as many people as possible and even more so given the fact that this is a brand new console out right before Christmas.

Are the awards dumb? You bet your ass they are. But between the reveals, which were pretty neat to be honest, and the huge crowd of viewers, it would have been nice if Nintendo had something, or anything really to show. And while this is a pretty minor event, not an E3 or anything, it still is more potential buyers that it can get to buy their system. More people who are likely to buy games like CoD, and Halo, and Ass Creed are going to draw those same publishers who make Dishonored, who make Dead Space, and who Make Ni No Kuni.

So please, stop complaining about potentially more people buying the system you support. It's good for Nintendo, it's good for third-party devs, and most importantly, it's good for you

You really think there are people who watch the VGAs and know what a Wii U is? I mean, sure. You could be flipping through the channel, I guess. But like most modern people, I watched the live stream. Cable TV is kinda dead, at least for people like me, who have Netflix and probably Hulu Plus soon. Its not really a good or bad thing for Nintendo. I say kill that garbage awards show so our culture doesn't have to be stereotyped or made fun of. Not being in this awards show at least shows you respect our culture.
#185Newbie00Posted 12/9/2012 1:56:11 AM(edited)
So much pretentiousness in this thread. You have people bragging about how they're "real gamers" and "real gamers" don't care about the VGAs. As if it's cool to be a "real gamer". You guys make me laugh. :)

I don't even watch the VGAs but anyone saying Nintendo shouldn't care about them is deluding themselves. Why? Because Nintendo was talking crap about capturing the core market with the Wii U. And establishing their presence at the VGAs is an excellent way to do that.

But forget it. It was all a lie anyways. After talking about how powerful their new console would be, Nintendo provided us with tech nearly 7 years old whose performance over current gen systems (the ps3/360) is questionable. Add to the fact that that they've decided to do something as stupid as ignore the VGAs this early on in the console's life, it's fairly reasonable to assume that Ninty is questioning their pursuit of the core market.
---
Sokar, Eliot... lay off Tony. I can vouch for him. He's a top lad and a massive PS3 supporter. He's not an enemy here. - SomnusNemoris on the Sony Defense Force
#186Newbie00Posted 12/9/2012 1:58:28 AM
NotoriousIynx posted...
beastwarking posted...

You really think there are people who watch the VGAs and know what a Wii U is? I mean, sure. You could be flipping through the channel, I guess. But like most modern people, I watched the live stream. Cable TV is kinda dead, at least for people like me, who have Netflix and probably Hulu Plus soon. Its not really a good or bad thing for Nintendo. I say kill that garbage awards show so our culture doesn't have to be stereotyped or made fun of. Not being in this awards show at least shows you respect our culture.

Most people know what a Wii U is (if not a Wii U, they know what a Wii is, or at the very least, what Nintendo is).

But you know what, even if I were to give you that point - that most people don't know what a Wii U is - the incentive for Nintendo to participate is still there. They'd need to make their presence known. Every company strives for product recognition.
---
Sokar, Eliot... lay off Tony. I can vouch for him. He's a top lad and a massive PS3 supporter. He's not an enemy here. - SomnusNemoris on the Sony Defense Force
#187Newbie00Posted 12/9/2012 2:02:36 AM
DTY3 posted...
lgi posted...
b1gt0ne posted...
Spike's VGA's is for brotards and basement dwellers, just like that other crappy show xplay, that thankfully has been cancelled.

This, ladies and gentleman, is your typical Nintendo fanboy.

No he's right, any gamer from any affiliation will tell you that, because its fact.
Are you uggesting he's wrong?

The Nintendo fanboy comment was justified given that the nature of the topic is what provoked it.

Context must be taken into account.
---
#188ClaudeLv250Posted 12/9/2012 2:16:52 AM(edited)
The main argument people are pushing that suggests the VGAs are this earth-shaking, industry-making event falls apart when you ask the question: where were Durango and Orbis? There was even a tease that the show would have a "hint of next gen" and yet Sony and Microsoft could not give two sh*ts to spill the beans there. If either one of them would have done a teaser, it would have completely dominated those pathetic "reveals" they had there. Neither of the big three had anything worthwhile to show, and yet this is only detrimental to Nintendo, who's console not only just came out but is in the middle of holiday marketing to a much larger audience. Right.

Anyone suggesting the VGAs have anywhere near the impact of E3 has a very loose grip on reality.
---
Once you go Claude, everything else is a Fraud.
#189CKnightPosted 12/9/2012 2:54:53 AM
ClaudeLv250 posted...
The main argument people are pushing that suggests the VGAs are this earth-shaking, industry-making event falls apart when you ask the question: where were Durango and Orbis? There was even a tease that the show would have a "hint of next gen" and yet Sony and Microsoft could not give two sh*ts to spill the beans there. If either one of them would have done a teaser, it would have completely dominated those pathetic "reveals" they had there. Neither of the big three had anything worthwhile to show, and yet this is only detrimental to Nintendo, who's console not only just came out but is in the middle of holiday marketing to a much larger audience. Right.

Anyone suggesting the VGAs have anywhere near the impact of E3 has a very loose grip on reality.

The fact your whole post is based around a hint, rumor, possibility, a maybe, ect makes it irrelevant.

And Nintendo is marketing to the same audience that failed to the Wii. They make Nintendo games tugging at the hardcore fanboy heart strings but then plaster televisions and the net with ads of little kids and parents playing Nintendo shovelware and dancing around with the controller.

The WiiU will probly sale well and like the Wii mainly Nintendo games will do good. And like the Wii it'll have a short life span and most likely die a year or 2 into the next gen.

And theyre still failing with online. Nintendo is so dead set with taking a dump on gamers and pandering to house moms, grandparents and ten years olds. They cant be bothered to do a proper online interface or put a highschool effort into online mp.
#190danyaelzeroPosted 12/9/2012 4:47:07 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]