Spike VGA's: NSMBU wins over Xenoblade? Seriously??

#81PrettzikensPosted 12/8/2012 6:28:36 PM
Fou Lu posted...
A game with a niche audience got beaten by a game with a massive audience? Who'd have thunk it!

Well, the award is for whats best not what has the bigger audience. Besides, the VGAs does award for what is big and popular so I guess it makes sense for them to award it to the game with the bigger fanbase. Indie games REALLY took off this year so Journey (deservingly) got lots of recognition. The Walking Dead is crazy popular at the moment so the game won game of the year, regardless of game destroying bugs and glitches all over.

The VGAs don't take merit into account, only whats currently trending.
---
1F J00 (4|\| 234) 7|-|15, J00 423 600)
#82XOptimusPrimeXPosted 12/8/2012 6:34:53 PM
Spike TV Is a joke

So are the VGAs...

I see no real gamers or
Artistic appreciation for the gaming industry.

I hope none of you take that tripe seriously, because it's
Garbage.

I came to this conclusion the first 20 minutes of the
Very first VGAs.... If you could even call it that.

Just some shallow opportunity to ADVERTISE.
---
SHMUPS own the videogame existence! ~:,> ~o `O ~o `O ~o
~`;> - -)))) ..The term "Non-gamer" was started by me, not Satoru Iwata."
#83Sakura_RailgunPosted 12/8/2012 6:44:04 PM
Having played both Xenoblade and NSMBU, I have to say I think NSMBU is the better game. I honestly don't understand all the praise Xenoblade gets. Is it just because there aren't many decent JRPGs on the Wii that it gets so much attention?
#84RollerBobPosted 12/8/2012 6:47:32 PM
Sakura_Railgun posted...
Having played both Xenoblade and NSMBU, I have to say I think NSMBU is the better game. I honestly don't understand all the praise Xenoblade gets. Is it just because there aren't many decent JRPGs on the Wii that it gets so much attention?

You already know what to expect with Mario, you don't with Xenoblade.
---
Yes, I'm Canadian. Yes, I speak french. Yes, I live in Quebec.
#85ThatPersonGuyPosted 12/8/2012 6:52:06 PM
nonexistinghero posted...
AdolRed posted...
genre defining offline MMO with light platforming loses prestigious award

You do well looking up to your name. PS2-era RPG's were horrible for most part. It's when developers stopped being ambitious and why almost every single new turn-based RPG released these days is a niche loli-RPG (or makes no sense, or both).

Yeah I couldn't stand loli RPGs like Shadow Hearts and Nocturne and Dragon Quest VIII

1. I wasn't claiming PS2 RPG's were like that. I was claiming it's when developers stopped being ambitious with their RPG's. There was quite a bit more ambition in the generations before that as far as RPG's go and the few on PS2 that still are ambitious don't make up for it.

2. The niche-loli RPG thing is about modern day RPG's. The better or more well-known RPG's in recent years, aside from Dragon Quest, have all used uncommon battle systems (most of the time not even turn-based). Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon are the last big console RPG's that featured a turn-based battle system (and they came out ages ago). FFXIII and FFXIII-2? Sorta, but you don't have any control over your party in battle other than deciding which class they should be using (a bit more for the one you're using). So basically every other turn-based RPG that were released aside from those are the niche RPG's I'm talking about.

We barely got any RPG's this gen, save for the DS.
---
Saki, Isaac, Lip, Lyn, and Little Mac for SSB4!
Cailou. "Cuteness never looked this badass" - Chuggaconroy.
#86Pyro76Posted 12/8/2012 6:54:35 PM
Sakura_Railgun posted...

No, because the game doesn't cater to everyone. But you can appreciate the amount of work Monolith has put into this game.

I've never seen a more outstanding soundtrack on the Wii than Xenoblade. Plus the emphasis on exploration is what gives the game a lot of charm.

I mean isn't everyone like that to some extent? You can appreciate a game getting praise but simply the game is not for you. I can praise something like the GTA series but I could never get into those games.
---
Sin & Punishment - Star Successor Record Holder (Stage 7)
Currently playing: New Super Mario Bros U, Nintendoland, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story
#87AdolRedPosted 12/8/2012 8:00:40 PM
Really I would have enjoyed the game more if I would have just downloaded a New Game + save with maxxed out characters so I could breeze through it without having to put up with the battle system. There was variety enough between characters but after a while the combat got extremely repetitive and it didn't help that some of the fights seemed to go on for so long, even against 1 or 2 enemies. Boss battles were fun but I got burnt out on trash mobs by the time I got to the Eryth Sea, which wasn't even the halfway point.
---
Read my comic! http://thejaystack.tumblr.com
<3Metric <3 Portugal. The Man <3Frank Turner<3Radiohead<3Bomb the Music Industry!<3
#88Sylar100Posted 12/8/2012 8:22:56 PM
The_Shadow_Link posted...
Stealthlys posted...
So a Wii U game, beat a Wii Game.

The category was for best Wii/Wii U game. The Nominees were those two, The Last Story and Zombi U. And in my humble opinion. Xenoblade is vastly superior than New Super Mario Bros U. Doesn't even matter is Xenoblade is one generation behind. It's the better game.

Last Story was better anyway
#89Creambun29Posted 12/8/2012 9:25:45 PM
troll235 posted...
Xenoblade was of about the same quality as any generic PS2-era RPG. I could never understand the praise it receives. I guess a parched man will drink anything.

QFT. I would just as much rather play any of-

SMT: Persona 3
SMT: Persona 4
SMT: Nocturne
Final Fantasy X
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts 2
Shadow Hearts
Dragon Quest VIII
Grim Grimoire
Tales of the Abyss
Tales of Legendia(Yeah, I said it)
Tales of Symphonia
Fire Emblem: PoR
Baten Kaitos Origins
Disgaia
Xenosaga
Dark Cloud
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Morrowind

-than play Xenoblade. It's not a bad game, but it's not near legendary. Heck, I don't even think it's the best RPG for the wii(Arc Rise Fantasia has it beat for me on all of the fronts that matter, particularly in the battle system). Not shocked that it lost to game with a far more broad appeal- it just wasn't anything special.
---
"Hey, I've been in a firefight before! Well, I was in a fire......actually, I was fired from a fry-cook opportunity :/"
PSN-Synersage