First impressions: Wii U vs original Wii...

#1endoflevelbossPosted 12/8/2012 3:19:45 PM
Both the original Wii & the Wii U brought something new and unique to the gaming world - but which one impressed you most initially? Did either of them make you think "wow, this has a lot of potential"?

Personally I remember being disappointed with the Wii's motion controls. Playing Wii Sports left me feeling disappointed that the game wasn't really interpreting my movements with any level of accuracy. Other games substituted button presses for waggling with no good reason. I think there was a lot of hype for the Wii at launch and I was expecting something amazing but my general feeling after the first couple of days was "is this it?".

I wasn't hyped for Wii U at all. I ended up getting one as I needed to choose an Xmas gift and also had some bonus money from work. I was interested in being able to play console quality games on a portable device (within the home) but that was about as far as my anticipation went. Probably because I hadn't bought into the hype I'm pleasantly surprised. Playing NSMBU and Black Ops 2 on the gamepad is rather impressive IMO. The games look great on that screen even if the resolution isn't all that high. Miiverse is quite well implemented too.

Anyway... Enough about my opinion. What's yours?
#2Suddy89Posted 12/8/2012 3:21:54 PM
I remember being blown away playing Wii Sports and Zelda for the first time. Then the motion controls and parties wore off. Zelda was still good though, and a lot of cool exclusives came to the console later on.
---
How many pancakes does it take for a duck to put shingles on a doghouse.
#3Romeo0513Posted 12/8/2012 3:22:51 PM
One of gripes is having to close the software before ejecting the disc and the control pad can't be charged buy a regular USB cable.
---
add me Gamertag/ Nintendo ID : ROMEO513
#4IcecreamdunwichPosted 12/8/2012 3:24:08 PM
a lot of cool exclusives came to the console later on.

Not really, honestly.
#5blankempathyPosted 12/8/2012 3:28:58 PM(edited)
Motion controls were fun at first but they weren't really something that kept me coming back to games and aside from party games they do get a bit boring. Some games would function perfectly fine without them I know since I've used the dolphin emulator. I did enjoy them in Skyward sword since they were more then just your basic shaking or swing of the controller. The gamepad is fun if used right. Games shouldn't add gamepad features just because either, they should be thought out and fun and nothing that becomes a chore to do. I played multiplayer zombiu last night and using the gamepad was so much fun, theres just so much room for innovation more so then current controllers allow.
---
SSBB Emp FC - 4983-4589-2680 Southern Californian Brawler
#6XSilverPhoenixXPosted 12/8/2012 3:28:30 PM
Nintendo's motion control and even the Kinect isn't as accurate at the PlayStation Move. You would think that Nintendo would have made their motion control as good as it could be if they built a system around it.

I think the gamepad is cool, but once again the system was built around a gimmick and the system itself wasn't the focus. Nintendo has tunnel vision. I'm really worried about this system becoming another Gamecube with no support.

I'm sure all of the first party games will be good, but I don't think they will be great. Nintendo just loves giving us the same thing over and over with minor alterations. Yes, people still buy it but it doesn't mean it's amazing. NSMBU isn't really bringing anything new to Mario and it would have been nice to see them push what the series can do. We love the classic elements but make them better and bring new things.

Zelda needs to return to a top down perspective and let you play as Zelda either alone or along with Link. Give us a surprise, not another OoT or Skyward Sword.

The Wii U is early in it's life but let's hope it has staying power when you have much better technology around the corner.
#7nilesthebravePosted 12/8/2012 3:30:04 PM
I was amazed the first 3 days and then after that the charm wore off rather quickly as I began to notice how much waggling I was doing. I never hated the Wii, but I began to miss a controller pretty quick and bought a 360 a few months after buying a Wii.

I can't say the same for the Wii U, I had a slight reservation the night I bought it, trying to set up the internet and dealing with long loading times on menus, since then though I haven't regretted it at all. I have yet to be bored by this system. So, so far I enjoy it far more than the Wii. Hopefully it stays that way.
---
Anti-boner is a dangerous material. I isolated pure anti-boner and that is the reason why Germany has negative population growth.-Benamingaska
#8BrasenPosted 12/8/2012 4:30:18 PM
My first initial impression as a kid was that motion gaming is a really fantastic idea. Had a lot of fun when I got a Wii for my birthday the next year, but it wasn't long after that it started to get less use. The motion stuff got old kinda fast and my friends were always playing something on the ps2/3 or xbox/360, and not many games appealed to me on the Wii much afterwards.

I bought the WiiU for myself this time with saved money. An impulse buy really that I figured I would probably regret. Well after playing around with it I have to say I'm having much more fun on the U than I did with the Wii. Especially when my friends come over and we start up luigi's mansion, pikmin, or metroid on Nintendo Land or play NSMBU. Just something thats completely new... new way to play with friends and extreme competitive/cooperative fun.

Ofcourse only time will tell but I can see myself playing the WiiU for much longer than the Wii as long as the games keep coming.
#9emagdnEPosted 12/8/2012 6:22:19 PM
Wii U didn't bring anything new

it's just bringing DS' gimmick to consoles
---
I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy... All right, give me the bomb. -Ultra Magnus
#10sejan12Posted 12/8/2012 9:02:58 PM
When I bought the Wii, it was the January after launch. I bought Zelda and obviously it came with Wii Sports. Wii Sports was awesome. I remember many hours of playing Tennis and Bowling in college. I loved Twilight Princess and initially the novelty of actually swinging your sword was amazing. Then I played past the two hour mark. My formerly broad swinging swings for my sword were beginning to become diminutive flicks of the wrist. After about 5-10 hours, I was yearning for a button to push instead, and my frustration was building with the unresponsive shield motions. Still, the game was good over all and I pushed through to the credits enjoying the majority of the game. My disappointment truly came playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Its downfall was giving me the option to push buttons or use motions. Buttons were much more responsive and showed the terrible nature of 3rd party Wii games. Luckily, Zack and Wiki showed that motion could be done well. In the end, I loved the Wii, but the shoddy 3rd party motion controls were without excuse. Either Nintendo held back on showing them how to properly utilize motion controls or they didn't bother trying. I look back on the Wii happily, I have a good collection of games and look at a few of them as wonderful gems. The trouble is, the good games truly are diamonds in the rough.

I bought the Wii U on the day of launch. I knew the big day one update was coming so it didn't bother me. I'd be amazed if the PS4 and Xbox 720 didn't come with large day one updates. The Gamepad is truly innovative. Everyone that has tried Mario Chase and Luigi's Mansion has left the game happy. My mom even asked her husband to get her one for Christmas. The Gamepad is easier to understand for the average gamer once they get their hands on it and try it out. I see a bright future for this system. Its possible that 3rd parties will continue to shun Nintendo's systems, but I truly have enjoyed this system. MiiVerse is my favorite social networking system. The eShop is a huge improvement over previous Nintendo digital shops. NintendoLand and ZombiU are perfect proofs of concept for the Gamepad. Offscreen play is very welcome in my house; fights over the main TV are a thing of the past. I love the 2 player gameplay on Sonic Racing with one player on the TV and the other on the Gamepad. Everything on the Wii has been vastly improved with this system.

Comparing first impressions, the Wii U is ahead. Even though Nintendo Land is far better than Wii Sports, it is unfortunately not going to sell systems quite as well as is predecessor. This is a huge improvement over Nintendo's last system. Now, it is Nintendo's job to prove their system.