To do away with some rumors about the Pro Controller

#1Phange 2Posted 12/8/2012 4:44:49 PM
1. It doesn't rumble.

Yes, it does.

2. The rumble is weak

The original report that suggested this came from a preview of Ninja Gaiden 3, which has incredibly weak rumble settings even with the GamePad. In my experience, the Pro controller's rumble is actually a bit stronger than the GamePad's. It's particularly strong in Black Ops 2.

3. Not many games support it

Virtually every game where the GamePad isn't a mandatory, integral part of the experience supports it. Except for, inexplicably and unnacceptably, NSMB U.

4. It's too light / feels cheap

It's about the same weight as a wired Xbox 360 controller, a DualShock 3, and heavier than a SIXAXIS. It feels roughly the same in build quality to Nintendo's previous controllers.

Conversely, here's some problems:

Problem 1: Even if you turn on the Wii U with the Pro controller, it still turns on the GamePad.

Problem 2: While the 80 hour battery life is true, it's only true if you turn off rumble. The Controller Pro seems to get less than half that (which is still really impressive) if you play rumble-intensive games.

Problem 3: L2/R2 (which are unfortunately called ZL/ZR) are digital, not analog. This makes them feel less intuitive.

Problem 4: Clicking the analog sticks seems to require too much force and at a relatively small angle range.

Overall:

My opinion is that the Pro Controller is roughly on par with the Xbox 360 controller. It's slightly more comfortable to hold, but the buttons don't feel quite as well-made. The D-Pad is substantially better, however. I much prefer it to the GamePad whenever possible.
---
Bacon.
Playstation Network: Phange
#2JunahuPosted 12/8/2012 4:58:20 PM(edited)
hmm, the digital shoulder triggers are actually going to be a problem if they ever plan to release Gamecube games on the Virtual Console.
Analogue shoulder triggers were used in a fair few classic games, including Luigi's Mansion, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Smash Bros Melee and Rogue Leader [I think]. Super Mario Sunshine in particular suffers without a way to lightly spray water.
#3GEKGanonPosted 12/8/2012 5:00:10 PM
30 or 40 hours on a single charge with the rumble on is STILL better than the... hour and half I get on the Wii U Gamepad.
---
Steam Name: gekganon
#4omniryuPosted 12/8/2012 5:04:49 PM
I thought nsmbu supported the pro controller.
---
PSN ID: Omniryu; Skype: Ryan.cox43
Gamertag: Omniryu
#5Phange 2(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 5:05:33 PM
omniryu posted...

Nope.

Amazingly, it doesn't.
---
Bacon.
#6omniryuPosted 12/8/2012 5:07:07 PM
Phange 2 posted...
omniryu posted...

Nope.

Amazingly, it doesn't.

Son of a gun.
---
#7Phange 2(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 5:09:12 PM
omniryu posted...
Phange 2 posted...
omniryu posted...

Nope.

Amazingly, it doesn't.

Son of a gun.

As much as I love Nintendo and NSMBU, that is probably the most ridiculous and inexplicable design choice I've ever seen Nintendo make. The fact that it supports Wii Remotes makes it even more bizarre.
---
Bacon.
#8omniryuPosted 12/8/2012 5:18:55 PM
Phange 2 posted...
omniryu posted...
Phange 2 posted...
omniryu posted...

Nope.

Amazingly, it doesn't.

Son of a gun.

As much as I love Nintendo and NSMBU, that is probably the most ridiculous and inexplicable design choice I've ever seen Nintendo make. The fact that it supports Wii Remotes makes it even more bizarre.

The thing is I saw a pro controller outline in selecting a controller section.
---
#9omniryuPosted 12/8/2012 5:24:51 PM
Never mind. I was thinking of FIFA
---
#10JonbazookabozPosted 12/8/2012 6:18:16 PM
GEKGanon posted...
30 or 40 hours on a single charge with the rumble on is STILL better than the... hour and half I get on the Wii U Gamepad.

U should get your gamepad exchanged. I get close to 4 and a half hours. A solid 3 and a half with a rumble game.
---
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"