What's wrong with kiddy?

#1VincentLAURiAPosted 12/8/2012 5:27:23 PM(edited)
Considering this is pretty much the main Nintendo board on the site now (and therefore is where the haters go as well as the fans), let's step back for a second.

What's exactly wrong with a game being kiddy or casual? Can someone actually explain why this is so ingrained into gamer culture?
---
965 Black/HD 5770/6GB RAM/VE248H/Antec 902/Win7 Ult64 - Wii/E420VL - 3DS - EnV Touch
[The Third Vin] H1/2009-10/21/2012
#2grandabxPosted 12/8/2012 5:27:05 PM
VincentLAURiA posted...
Considering this is pretty much the main Nintendo board on the site now (and therefore is where the haters go as well as the fans), let's step back for a second.

What's exactly wrong with a game being kiddy or casual? Can someone actually explain why this is such an accepted thing?

real gamers like games with DEPTH. that word is foreign to nintendo.
#3VincentLAURiA(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 5:27:57 PM
Mind elaborating?
---
965 Black/HD 5770/6GB RAM/VE248H/Antec 902/Win7 Ult64 - Wii/E420VL - 3DS - EnV Touch
#4lgiPosted 12/8/2012 5:28:27 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcuazfZI6A1qmmd44.jpg
#5Golden MavenPosted 12/8/2012 5:29:14 PM
grandabx posted...
real gamers like games with DEPTH

Yeah I'd love for you to elaborate on that. Most console games aren't anymore engaging than your average Nintendo game. If you want DEPTH, you better get a gaming PC.
#6DiscostewSMPosted 12/8/2012 5:29:38 PM
grandabx posted...
VincentLAURiA posted...

What's exactly wrong with a game being kiddy or casual? Can someone actually explain why this is such an accepted thing?

Sony and Microsoft's description of DEPTH involves drugs, sex, blood and violence.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#7VincentLAURiA(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 5:31:23 PM(edited)
Yeah I'd love for you to elaborate on that. Most console games aren't anymore engaging than your average Nintendo game. If you want DEPTH, you better get a gaming PC.

Even so, let's hear in general about what people consider depth to be, why we want it, and how Nintendo supposedly lacks it.
---
#8ColorfulColorsPosted 12/8/2012 5:30:56 PM
Because apparentley games aren't supposed to be made for kids and only grown ups.
---
Xeeh_Bitz: Master of Excuses
Once the Atari Puma comes out, every console is doomed. ~SuperShyGuy9000
#9Stefan1277Posted 12/8/2012 5:32:35 PM
grandabx posted...
VincentLAURiA posted...

Let's see the "deepness" and complexity of the most popular games for "hardcore" gamers:

1: Shoot a lot of minorities.
2: Shoot a lot of zombies.
3: Shoot a lot of aliens.
4: Shoot a lot of monsters.

The "deep" and "complex" stories also just revolve around those.
---
I'm a ninja. (You can't see me)
http://colorslive.com/author.php?page=1&id=38434
#10Whiteout_2Posted 12/8/2012 5:38:37 PM(edited)
grandabx posted...
VincentLAURiA posted...

>real gamers
>depth foreign to nintendo

Because being a "real gamer" puts you in the higher echelon the video game community and anything that appeals to you alone in a game makes it deep. Yeah, I'm glad Nintendo doesn't cater to self entitled people like you. If blood and body organs flying everywhere in each FPS is considered "depth" I don't want to be a "real gamer". I still remember the E3 showing of The Last of Us where at the very end this dude was begging for his life with a gun pointed at him and gets shot in the head, the crowd erupted in cheer as his blood splattered everywhere. Such a great audience for Nintendo not to cater to.
---
Fight the powah.