Not wanting to mess around with external storage

#11its_matt(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 6:37:52 PM
bump
#12wolverinerob79Posted 12/8/2012 7:26:01 PM
It's heads above Apple's model of a device with a small, very overpriced internal storage with no way to add more storage. Why anyone buys the fruit crap is beyond me. Apple's like a stupid people tax.

I like the ability to add whatever storage solution I choose. It's why I built my HTPC - it's nice having 3TB of storage on my DVR.
#13Wiiplayer111Posted 12/8/2012 7:32:11 PM
Starwars4J posted...
It's actually a selling point as it saves the consumer money and keeps the expensive proprietary storage crap out of the system from day 1.

This. Wii U cost $300. If Nintendo puts in a 320GB hard drive the Wii U now costs $400-$500. If you shop around you could get a 500+GB harddrive for $50.

JKatarn posted...
heat generated by an internal hard drive.

The Wii Us heat brick is on the outside. Heat problems are the least probable thing that can happen to the Wii U.
---
Look a you.... sticking to the plan.
didyouknowgaming.com
#14its_matt(Topic Creator)Posted 12/9/2012 1:06:42 AM
Wiiplayer111 posted...
Starwars4J posted...
It's actually a selling point as it saves the consumer money and keeps the expensive proprietary storage crap out of the system from day 1.

This. Wii U cost $300. If Nintendo puts in a 320GB hard drive the Wii U now costs $400-$500. If you shop around you could get a 500+GB harddrive for $50.

JKatarn posted...

The Wii Us heat brick is on the outside. Heat problems are the least probable thing that can happen to the Wii U.

Why would putting a 320GB hard disk in the WiiU add $100-$200 to the price tag when you say a 500GB hard disk would only cost about $50? Are you saying Nintendo would just try and rip people off if they gave a useful amount of storage in their new console?
#15JKatarnPosted 12/9/2012 9:52:36 AM
Wiiplayer111 posted...
Starwars4J posted...

JKatarn posted...

The power circuitry is not the only component of a console that generates a lot of heat, there's the CPU, GPU, motherboard, and the hard drive. Mechanical hard drives are larger, and due to their mechanical nature generate more heat. There's also the fact that adding a hard drive would increase the size of the system and reduce the airflow room inside the case.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | EVGA GeForce GTX 460 Superclocked
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#16Shadowbird_RHPosted 12/9/2012 9:59:58 AM
By excluding the larger storage option and cutting it from the cost of the console, Nintendo gives consumers the option to pay for however much storage they need or to use storage options they already have without being bound to specific versions of the system.

That's the explanation I like best anyway.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR