For those who travel with consoles...

#1Squished_MarioPosted 12/8/2012 6:30:54 PM
...how did you personally travel with your home consoles? I might be taking my Wii U, but not sure whether it's too much of a hassle, or if shipping would be a better method ( but, I'd like to cut down on cost, honestly). I know the Wii U scratches easily, so I'd like to be careful.

TSA, as I'm aware of, makes you put your console directly on the tray and it bumps around to be screened. I'm worried about scratching, damage etc. in the chaos. Did anyone have a special method of traveling with their home console? I was thinking of having a towel near it, but then again I'm not sure if they'd make me take it off. Jinkies!
---
Part of the Viewmaster_pi's Caln Magna cum laude
PSN: VexSilver
#2Jx1010Posted 12/8/2012 6:32:08 PM
Can u explain what type of traveling this is?

Are u gonna be constantly traveling or is this a one time thing?
#3Squished_Mario(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 6:34:54 PM
Jx1010 posted...

Oh sorry. I'm traveling up to family for the holidays. Would like to play the Wii U with them.
---
#4Squished_Mario(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 6:35:51 PM
Squished_Mario posted...
Jx1010 posted...

Oh sorry. I'm traveling up to family for the holidays. Would like to play the Wii U with them.

It's by plane by the way. That's why I mentioned the TSA and the trays etc.
---
#5Jx1010Posted 12/8/2012 6:38:38 PM
Squished_Mario posted...

Allright, I suggest before traveling you bring more than 1 controller motion plus with nunchucks.
Also get protection for the gamepad, its necessary since most people will want to mess around with it.

For traveling,
wrap the wii u in a towel, gamepad in a separate towel, pack it very careful and do not let anything or any bags go on top, be very very careful when traveling.

This is my opinion, I used to travel with my PS3 a while back.
#6Enigma149Posted 12/8/2012 6:40:11 PM
I put the console into a bag, then put that bag in the middle of my clothes suitcase, which I bring onto the plane. Controllers and cables usually go in the same suitcase on small trips, or (if I'm checking baggage), another suitcase which gets checked (I wouldn't recommend doing this to the GamePad, however).

It gets by security just fine, and (so-far), nothing's been damaged by the scanners. The clothes cushion the console, so small impacts (turbulence, etc.) don't break it.

On the way back, I usually do the same thing (and now you know what the bag is for - to make sure the console doesn't touch the dirty clothes).
---
3DS:4897-5935-1924; PS3 sold in anticipation of PS4. If you added CrimsonEnigma, I no longer use the account.
'Your opinion does not matter.' -DesperateMonkey
#7Jx1010Posted 12/8/2012 6:40:21 PM
Squished_Mario posted...
Squished_Mario posted...
Jx1010 posted...

It's by plane by the way. That's why I mentioned the TSA and the trays etc.

Since its by plane, I would suggest shipping it.... I know it sounds stupid but its my idea.
I dont think TSA is responsible for fragile items, I suppose....but I could be wrong.
#8Squished_Mario(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 6:42:38 PM
Jx1010 posted...
Squished_Mario posted...

Allright, I suggest before traveling you bring more than 1 controller motion plus with nunchucks.
Also get protection for the gamepad, its necessary since most people will want to mess around with it.

For traveling,
wrap the wii u in a towel, gamepad in a separate towel, pack it very careful and do not let anything or any bags go on top, be very very careful when traveling.

This is my opinion, I used to travel with my PS3 a while back.

We have several of those set up ( a blue one now because of the Toys R us sale, not sure of the other colors ) and a gold Zelda wii mote plus. So that makes 3, plus the game pad.

Thanks that's what I was thinking. Now, in your experience did the TSA make you take it OUT of the towel? Wouldn't want the Wii U to get cold. No, but seriously I just don't want it scratched up.

Any cheap gamepad protectors you recommend?
---
#9Squished_Mario(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 6:43:38 PM
Enigma149 posted...
I put the console into a bag, then put that bag in the middle of my clothes suitcase, which I bring onto the plane. Controllers and cables usually go in the same suitcase on small trips, or (if I'm checking baggage), another suitcase which gets checked (I wouldn't recommend doing this to the GamePad, however).

It gets by security just fine, and (so-far), nothing's been damaged by the scanners. The clothes cushion the console, so small impacts (turbulence, etc.) don't break it.

On the way back, I usually do the same thing (and now you know what the bag is for - to make sure the console doesn't touch the dirty clothes).

But TSA's policy for consoles is that you take it out and put it on the tray, is what I'm trying to say.
---
#10PsienceWinsPosted 12/8/2012 7:07:46 PM(edited)
I just throw it all in a plastic grocery bag and take it with me.

Edit: Just read about TSA. I dunno. Never flown with a console.
---
Reverse trolling. One of my many talents.