Virtual Console and controller question

#1koshkaemachinaPosted 12/8/2012 7:38:14 PM
Hey guys, this is my first forray into the landscape known as Wii. Just purchased the Wii U deluxe set, and I have a question:

What controllers am I going to need to play the SNES / NES / etc games? Do I need to buy the Wii U version remote and nunchuck, or do I need to get the standard Wii version? I know that the pro gamepad made for U won't function with the older games, so I'm already resigned to the fact I need to purchase a classic version of that.
---
PSN: Ukrain
#2JonbazookabozPosted 12/8/2012 7:40:31 PM
The original wiimotes and if u prefer the original classic or pro controller. Even the retro snes controller works. NOT the gamepad or wi u pro.
---
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"
#3koshkaemachina(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 7:44:03 PM
Dang... I can hardly find any original wiimotes anywhere around my area. That's kinda crappy that the new Wii U remote and nunchuck doesn't fly with the virtual console. :( Time to do some diggin.
---
PSN: Ukrain
#4ScarletArcanaPosted 12/8/2012 7:46:19 PM
The Wii remotes and nunchuks that have been branded as Wii U DO work with the virtual console. Just not the Gamepad or the Pro Controller.

This is what you need:
http://sickr.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/wii_accessories_wii_u.jpg
#5JonbazookabozPosted 12/8/2012 7:49:14 PM
Sorry i didnt realise there were wii u branded wiimotes out. Any wiimote will work. Nunchuck too- not for vc games though just wii. Please correct me if there are any vc that support nunchucks.
---
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"
#6Enigma149Posted 12/8/2012 7:50:40 PM
koshkaemachina posted...
Dang... I can hardly find any original wiimotes anywhere around my area. That's kinda crappy that the new Wii U remote and nunchuck doesn't fly with the virtual console. :( Time to do some diggin.

No, they work. Don't worry. Remember - the new Wii U remotes are really just Wii remotes with the sync button on the outside (and I believe a sturdier connector for plugging in the Nunchuck and Classic Controller).
---
3DS:4897-5935-1924; PS3 sold in anticipation of PS4. If you added CrimsonEnigma, I no longer use the account.
'Your opinion does not matter.' -DesperateMonkey
#7thealmightydibPosted 12/8/2012 7:52:18 PM
so do SNES, N64, etc work with wiimotes? I know NES games do.
---
No, John, unfortunately we don't have a code for "There's a man in my closet with a gun to my daughter's head." Although we obviously should.
#8Final Fantasy2389Posted 12/8/2012 7:53:10 PM(edited)
No VC supports Nunchuck to my knowledge, BUT, you will need one for certain control schemes. Some games in Nintendoland use it.

The Wii U branded wiimotes are just Wiimotes (with motion plus built inside) that have been rebranded to cut confusion. They are the exact same thing so any of them will work.

Classic Controller for the Wii will work.

What won't work:

Gamepad
Gamepad Pro.
Gamecube controller (no ports to allow them to plug in).
---
WWE Diva and SES season 1 winner. Smart. Sexy. Powerful. Eve Torres <3
http://bit.ly/J38z1u | http://bit.ly/KIjaFT | http://bit.ly/RQBee0
#9ScarletArcanaPosted 12/8/2012 7:53:22 PM
johnnybazookabo posted...
Sorry i didnt realise there were wii u branded wiimotes out. Any wiimote will work. Nunchuck too- not for vc games though just wii. Please correct me if there are any vc that support nunchucks.

Nah, you're right. I was just thinking about the Wii U rebranding, I wasn't even thinking about the actual controller requirements for the VC. As far as I know, no VC games use nunchuks. So you'll need a Wiimote and a Classic Controller.
#10JonbazookabozPosted 12/8/2012 7:55:29 PM
thealmightydib posted...
so do SNES, N64, etc work with wiimotes? I know NES games do.

Yes - however some require a classic controller
---