How will the Wii U be remembered ?

#1JackTheRimmerPosted 12/9/2012 6:07:55 PM
6 months from now ?
#2trenkenPosted 12/9/2012 6:09:39 PM
I dont know, I would say similar to the 3DS. Not a revolution, but an evolution of something that previously existed.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#3trenkenPosted 12/9/2012 6:10:37 PM
BTW this is a pattern for Nintendo.

Revolutions:
NES, N64, Wii

Evolutions:
SNES, GC, U

I'm certain that the next console in 5 years or so will be something very new and exciting.
---
PS3 | CygnusZero
#4Vincent_CorePosted 12/9/2012 6:18:10 PM
Normal people: a failed gimmick

Nintendrones: the greatest device ever created.
---
Learn to fight against your weak side and you'll naturally become stronger.
#5decolley25Posted 12/9/2012 6:21:53 PM
trenken posted...

Revolutions:
NES, N64, Wii

Evolutions:
SNES, GC, U

I'm certain that the next console in 5 years or so will be something very new and exciting.

I wonder if this holds up with handhelds as well...

Revolutions:
GB, VB, DS

Evolutions:
GBC, GBA/GBM, DSi/3DS

Maybe only a little, but it seems that with handhelds there are more evolutions (plus there is the issue of the failed revolution with the Virtual Boy.

What do you think the defining factor between revolution and evolution are? In some cases it's software implementation in other cases, it's gameplay technique.
---
My side, your side, my side, your side...
#6trenkenPosted 12/9/2012 6:33:25 PM(edited)
decolley25 posted...
trenken posted...

Revolutions:
NES, N64, Wii

Evolutions:
SNES, GC, U

I wonder if this holds up with handhelds as well...

Revolutions:
GB, VB, DS

Evolutions:
GBC, GBA/GBM, DSi/3DS

Maybe only a little, but it seems that with handhelds there are more evolutions (plus there is the issue of the failed revolution with the Virtual Boy.

What do you think the defining factor between revolution and evolution are? In some cases it's software implementation in other cases, it's gameplay technique.

The defining factors are pretty clear I think. It has to be something that FEELS new. That hinges on the hardware. Only so much you can do with a game and there's always examples of original games on all hardware. Metroid Prime was a revolution for a franchise on a system that was just an improved version of the N64.

For consoles enough time has passed now to know that for them to feel very new it has to do with the way you play games. Obviously the NES was something pretty new at the time. The N64 allowed you to control characters in 3D space, the Wii allowed you to use your body more.

I think the next big thing is immersion. Hologram stuff, and we're starting to see a lot of rumors popping up about the next playstation and xbox using this. Games that expand beyond the TV. That could be something very cool and could be the next revolution.
---
PS3 | CygnusZero
#7kewldude475Posted 12/9/2012 6:33:44 PM
Vincent_Core posted...
Normal people: a failed gimmick

Nintendrones: the greatest device ever created.

---
PS3/Vita PSN: kewldude475; 3DS FC: 4253-3798-3218; Steam: kewldude475
Now playing: Persona 3: FES, Assassin's Creed 2, Resident Evil 6
#8PokeLord473Posted 12/9/2012 6:38:07 PM(edited)
trenken posted...

Revolutions:
NES, N64, Wii

Evolutions:
SNES, GC, U

The WiiU actually falls into the Revolution group:

NES, N64, GC (let's face it, big jump from N64 to GC), WiiU

The Wii was little more than GC hardware with motion controls. WiiU is a more significant jump above the GC IMO. I'm just comparing the WiiU to other Nintendo consoles, too, not Sony or MS.
---
"Am I missing an eyebrow?"
#9DiscostewSMPosted 12/9/2012 6:38:15 PM
It will be remembered as the console the trolls could not take down.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#10trenkenPosted 12/9/2012 6:38:57 PM
I can already see the potential of hologram stuff, but it has to be well done for it to work.

Imagine being able to sit on your couch playing a 3D Mario game, but instead of the course being contained within the TV, it sin your entire living room. Moving Mario around in a 3D world in the middle of your living room.

Obviously this would be ridiculously amazing and would sell itself, but it's a ways off for Nintendo still. Maybe that's what the next console will be based around in 5-6 years.

The U is cool and I bought one, but its basically just the love child of the DS and the Wii. It isnt exciting in the sense that its really not something entirely new. The revolution systems are always the most exciting ones, so we're kind of in that middle world now where its not really something entirely new, but will probably have some good Nintendo games which is good enough for many of us.

But fast forward to 2018 and this place will be blowing up with excitement.
---
PS3 | CygnusZero