Nintendo confirms German law to blame for Europe-wide Wii U eShop 18+ content re

#11Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/10/2012 3:40:59 AM(edited)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games

Germany has a few games that are banned, which means Nintendo will not even be allowed to have the game online since they are located in Germany if the game ends up being banned in that country

So games like Dead Rising will never be on the Wii U, The Darkness, etc

Why? Because it completely cuts those companies out of money and with Nintendo offering club points for game purchases online, well a lot of people will buy games online and cut out on retail purchases, which would cut that product out of potential sales

Actually, I'm pretty sure Nintendo can't even sell the physical game to any place in Europe since they're located in Germany

Part of the Wiki

131 outlaws representation of violence in media "which describe cruel or otherwise inhuman acts of violence against human beings in a manner which expresses a glorification or rendering harmless of such acts of violence or which represents the cruel or inhuman aspects of the event in a manner which injures human dignity."[20]
130 and 131 make it to a criminal offense to do following with corresponding scriptures:
distributing / selling
issuing in public, demonstrating or otherwise making available
leaving it to a person under the age of 18
producing, buying, delivering, storing, offering, announcing, praising, importing or exporting to use them within the meaning of the letters 1 to 3.

Even tho it would be sold outside of Germany, Nintendo of Europe (Germany) would still be distributing it. So they probably wouldn't even be able to sell it since they're located in Germany

This type of thing will push developers away because it really would hurt the sale of their game.
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#12FoppePosted 12/10/2012 3:39:25 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Buretsu posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Well, so much for GTA V ever coming to the Wii U along with multiple other 18+ Games

You do realize that it doesn't stop the Wii U from getting 18+ games or stop people from playing 18+ games whenever they want, right? Or that it only applies to Europe, and not the entire world?

It cuts sales down by quite a bit because if you want to purchase the game online you have to wait and not a lot of businesses want to deal with that.

and it effects all of Europe which is a good portion of the world, so of course they're going to decide if it's cost effective to port the game over, going to look at sales restrictions.

Digital sales for PC by far makes the developer more money, less overhead, no packaging and it's becoming a more preferred method for delivery of product

I'm sure if it was more practical it would be the same way for consoles but this is obviously the wrong direction.

Because suddenly everybody are buying all their games online.
...where are everybody whining about being forced to buy a extra harddrive to download games and that nobody would pay the extra cost just to download a few games?
If people want a game, then they will go to the store and buy a retail copy, European gamers are still not fat enough to not go to stores.
Yes, digital sales for PC cost less because they don't have to pay a license fee in the first place. You make it sound as if people are buying more digital copies than retail copies of console games these days, do you have any numbers of that?
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#13FoppePosted 12/10/2012 3:41:43 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

Germany has a few games that are banned, which means Nintendo will not even be allowed to have the game online since they are located in Germany if the game ends up being banned in that country

Why? Because it completely cuts those companies out of money and with Nintendo offering club points for game purchases online, well a lot of people will buy games online and cut out on retail purchases, which would cut that product out of potential sales

So people will have to buy a retail copy instead of a digital copy, big deal since most people around here seems to value a physical copy more anyway.
And only 5 or so European countries got club points in the first place.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#14EoinPosted 12/10/2012 3:48:21 AM
It's important to remember that although this will only have a small effect on eShop games that are also available at retail (since, as has correctly been pointed out, most sales are still of disc-based games), it will have a significantly larger effect on eShop-only games. Their sales will be severely damaged in Europe, especially any multiplatform games, since people won't bother waiting, they'll just download from XBLA or the PlayStation Store.

Foppe posted...
I mean, we already got M-rated games, how much more violent must they be to get a 18+ rating in Europe?

Typically a game rated as M in the US will be rated as 18 in Europe.
#15Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/10/2012 3:53:17 AM(edited)
Foppe posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

So people will have to buy a retail copy instead of a digital copy, big deal since most people around here seems to value a physical copy more anyway.
And only 5 or so European countries got club points in the first place.

I understand that but the issue is, a lot of people are preferring digital now a days, I personally rather have digital. If a year from now a dog steps on your disc, the game is gone. If it's digital, no worries if your house burns down.. your game collection is not lost
Just gotta buy a new system but you still have your collection

so yeah, it does have an impact on sales not a huge amount for consoles but with the price of storage and the speed of the internet in a couple of years it'll be the primary choice for a lot of people.

Edit: DD should be the future of games, it cuts out the middleman, places like Gamestop, cuts out the use of plastic(Great for the planet) and paper(Once again, fresher air, less trees being cut down) and in return will keep the cost down for the consumer since the profit margins are higher for the publisher.
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#16IcecreamdunwichPosted 12/10/2012 3:52:46 AM
no worries if your house burns down.. your game collection is not lost
Just gotta buy a new system but you still have your collection

Sadly this is not the case with Nintendo systems.

Also, I wonder how every other online store got around this time based mature restriction in Germany... how weird!
#17darkjedilinkPosted 12/10/2012 3:55:52 AM
Foppe posted...
They got a UK branch, should have put the server there instead.

Since NoE is out of Germany, putting servers elsewhere won't do anything. They have to abide by the law.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#18GencoilPosted 12/10/2012 3:58:48 AM
Thanks Germany, thanks for ruining it for the rest of us again with your squeamish laws.
---
www.klustr.net || http://passid.ca/recoil || Xbox LIVE: Nitesoul || PSN: Gencoil
#19AwesomeOSaucePosted 12/10/2012 3:59:17 AM
Eoin = PWND

He has been defending Germany on this board for days....
---
http://soundcloud.com/sunnyterra/audio-recording-on-monday-29
^ Hermiione says my name and says I''m cute! ^_^
#20IcecreamdunwichPosted 12/10/2012 4:01:04 AM
Eoin = PWND

He has been defending Germany on this board for days....

Yeah, and he was rightfully doing so. How are PSN, iTunes, etc able to sell mature content at all times of the day, in Germany, yet Nintendo can't? This is classic PR spin, nothing more.