Nintendo confirms German law to blame for Europe-wide Wii U eShop 18+ content re

#101SSJ UndertakerPosted 12/10/2012 9:46:19 AM
Bufkus posted...
Stupidest thing you've ever said. They had 18+ games at launch already.

I wonder if game companies will support the censorship (and loss of sales) of their games on the Wii U.
---
This is a signature.
#102MarioFanaticXVPosted 12/10/2012 9:54:05 AM
squatch22 posted...
Buretsu posted...
Eoin posted...
AwesomeOSauce posted...
Eoin = PWND

He has been defending Germany on this board for days....

There is no defensible reason for Nintendo putting themselves in a position where German law has to apply to all of Europe. It is beyond belief that people think Nintendo should escape any blame for this.

German servers, German laws. It's incredible that people think that Nintendo should carry all the blame for this.

Its Nintendo. They like to blame them for everything.
Id bet the trolls would blame them for WW2 and JFK if they could.

You mean they don't already?
---
"O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:"
1 Tim 6:20
#103TJSpykePosted 12/10/2012 9:54:35 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Well, so much for GTA V ever coming to the Wii U along with multiple other 18+ Games

Um, you do know this only applies to digital sales? The Wii U already has several 18 (not 18+, they got rid of the "+" in 2009) games like ZombiU. It has no effect on retail releases.

This is no big deal, it only applies to releases on eShop releases, and it is Germany's fault (not Nintendo's). And it's not practical for Nintendo to move their European headquarters to another country just to increase the hours that they can sell 18 rated games on the eShop.
---
Wii ID code: 4338 5973 3223 4003
AC: CF Tim Spyke 3480-6279-5331
#104EoinPosted 12/10/2012 10:00:48 AM
Legeon86 posted...
I wonder if they're trying to setup some kind of legal posturing that eventually LEADS to video games being regarded as broadcasts. I figure every game company would rather sell a subscription service than physical media, why not get the ball rolling now?

I don't think that they'd do that. Or at least, not this way. TV is heavily regulated and restricted, and for any video game company it would be better to act like a multicaster (not quite a broadcaster) without the regulations than to be regulated like one.

Also, I don't think games companies want physical media to go away. I think that they want to sell you a subscription alongside physical media. Hence Xbox Live Gold - it mostly complements sales of games which are (often) on physical media. Hence PlayStation Plus, which again, isn't really intended to replace physical media sales (although it comes closer to going so than Gold). Hence CoD Elite, which is again a complement to a disc purchase. I doubt it will be very long before Nintendo has a subscription service of their own as well - the Deluxe/Premium Nintendo Network ~10% bonus seems like an ideal thing to as one of the features of a new subscription service.
#105EoinPosted 12/10/2012 10:01:45 AM
SSJ Undertaker posted...
I wonder if game companies will support the censorship (and loss of sales) of their games on the Wii U.

Might be worth pointing out - this is restriction, and not censorship. The games aren't being blocked and they aren't being changed by people other than their creators.
#106cavebear56Posted 12/10/2012 10:14:04 AM
PedroMontana posted...
I can definitely imagine this whole situation changing over time, for better or worse.
But people need to stop to act so ignorant and childish about the fact that Nintendo NEEDS to follow the law and that making the eShop cards rated 18 is not a perfect solution either and might actually be the worse solution economically.

This.

Finally someone with some common sense and a brain.

On a positive note the fact so many people are disappointed about the situation shows that Wii U owners are more in favor for DD than the PS3 board.
---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
#107darkjedilinkPosted 12/10/2012 10:33:23 AM
Chocobo115 posted...
whilst very minor,
Another reason for me to not get a Wii U at the moment.

You won't buy the Wii U because Nintendo obeys the law? That's kind of stupid, imo...
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#108GeisnPosted 12/10/2012 10:43:39 AM
Bubumon81 posted...
From the bottom to the stars eh Germany?
Yesterday killing millions of people and today is "we need to protect our children from violence" stuff.

Yesterday? That was 70 years ago, lol. Long before you racist idiot were even born. Btw who dropped 2 nuclear bombs cowardly on the civilians in Japan around the same time and who dropped phosphorus bombs on little kids in Vietnam? Go figure!
#109darkjedilinkPosted 12/10/2012 10:47:17 AM
Geisn posted...
Bubumon81 posted...
From the bottom to the stars eh Germany?
Yesterday killing millions of people and today is "we need to protect our children from violence" stuff.

Yesterday? That was 70 years ago, lol. Long before you racist idiot were even born. Btw who dropped 2 nuclear bombs cowardly on the civilians in Japan around the same time and who dropped phosphorus bombs on little kids in Vietnam? Go figure!

Believe it or not, fewer people died from the nukes than would have if we invaded.

Also, you do know most of those kids in Vietnam actually killed American troops, right?
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#110Chocobo115Posted 12/10/2012 11:56:30 AM
darkjedilink posted...
Chocobo115 posted...
whilst very minor,
Another reason for me to not get a Wii U at the moment.

You won't buy the Wii U because Nintendo obeys the law? That's kind of stupid, imo...

Not law in my country.
I still can't see why they couldn't do it like PSN & XBLA. The germans get a separate version of the store where the 18+ stuff isn't available, instead of punishing whole Europe.
and if it's due servers being in Germany then just move them elsewhere.

And I said it was a minor reason. The main reasons for me (if you're now so interested) are still the lack of interesting exclusive games, the high prices and the controller together with the disappointment with how the Wii turned out.