Nintendo confirms German law to blame for Europe-wide Wii U eShop 18+ content re

#51IcecreamdunwichPosted 12/10/2012 4:03:43 AM
I do wonder why the rules are different for 3DS... it's almost as if this law was made up just for the Wii U! Or maybe this is just PR spin, sad.
#52Bubumon81Posted 12/10/2012 4:05:20 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#53EoinPosted 12/10/2012 4:09:06 AM
mcsmellington posted...
I find that bolded part very interesting. How come the rules are different for that?

They're not different any more. I re-checked several times since this story began and the same thing that I downloaded (for the record: the MGS3 demo on 3DS) is now time-restricted in the same way as content on the Wii U is.

However, the fact that Nintendo were offering it without restrictions is something that really has been ignored in the rush to blame German law. Either it's really not that simple, or Nintendo were ignorant of how to implement German law less than a year ago (and if they got it wrong then, it's not impossible that they're getting it wrong now also).
#54Halo_ForeverPosted 12/10/2012 4:09:28 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Edit: DD should be the future of games, it cuts out the middleman, places like Gamestop, cuts out the use of plastic(Great for the planet) and paper(Once again, fresher air, less trees being cut down) and in return will keep the cost down for the consumer since the profit margins are higher for the publisher.

I take it that you haven't tried managing a 3 Xbox 360 /4 player profile DRM jungle. DD is the worst of the worst that can happen. If a dog steps on your game it is bad but hey you have the rest of the games you bought. If your DD profile gets wiped/banned/stolen/phised/corrupted you lose everything.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#55Jackie_GleasonPosted 12/10/2012 4:13:09 AM
How Nintendo didn't see this coming is just mind blowing.

They better be scrambling to move their business outside Germany or find a legal loop hole because this will surely cost them sales. I'm sure will see a solution soon enough.

The main question is, how out of touch is an organization that let this slip through and what kind of work environment is there that doesn't listen to the concerned voices (there has to be some sane staff members that raised the question)?

What adult would be ok with letting Nintendo dictate a 4-6 hour window (in reality, 1-2 hours) when they can access digital content? And this when Nintendo is making a big push into DD. Again, mind blowing.
#56Red_hot_smasherPosted 12/10/2012 4:31:08 AM
Basically, as much as I don't like Sony, their solution is better. Nintendo's solution means they get bad PR and bad Rep while Sony's solution means they miss a demographic that's massive in theory but insignificant in practice.

Why? Well, young kids don't generally buy games on their own so much as point at them and have their parents buy them for them, while kids old enough to be buying a significant amount of games on their own, say 13-17 years of age, are most likely in that phase of life where you want to be "cool" and "mature", meaning they're not interested in Mario or Zelda, they want games rated M for Money, like CoD #27 and GTA VIII.

Games they're unable to buy on their own anyway, leading to more pointing at games and waiting for holidays/birthdays.
---
www.avaaz.org, www.allout.org, www.amnesty.org
All these organizations for human rights, and yet noone cares about the victims of copyright law. ;,(
#57blankempathyPosted 12/10/2012 4:32:44 AM
AwesomeOSauce posted...
blankempathy posted...
AwesomeOSauce posted...
Nintendo needs to learn how to internet correctly >_<

Seriously they need to fire whoever handles their online network and servers and try to get some young guys that used to work for Microsoft, Sony, Steam etc.... that know what the f*** they are doing.

A smart company would:

Let just block IP consoles from Germany to access this content so then we follow their laws. BUT for all other European countries that are not so uber conservative lets allow them to not have these restrictions just like PSN, Steam and XBL.

But a company like Nintendo does:

>our servers are in Germany?
>we have an online shop
>well lets comply to German law and censor for all European countries where this law doesn't apply derp!
>just for fun lets not do this in Japan or North America.

>_< somebody needs to get slapped.

smh.

The NoE HQ is physically located in Germany, thats where they operate out of. That is why they're following Germany's rules. Could they possible get around this in the future? Maybe only time will tell.

The beer I buy is manufactured and made in Germany and the headquarters is there.
But that doesn't mean that the German laws about legal drinking ages of like 14 with parents and 16 alone apply to my country...

Were you trying to make a point there because that was an awful example.
---
SSBB Emp FC - 4983-4589-2680 Southern Californian Brawler
#58GigaVoltsPosted 12/10/2012 4:34:31 AM
Eoin posted...
AwesomeOSauce posted...
Eoin = PWND

He has been defending Germany on this board for days....

There is no defensible reason for Nintendo putting themselves in a position where German law has to apply to all of Europe. It is beyond belief that people think Nintendo should escape any blame for this.

I remember yesterday when you were saying it is all Nintendo's fault and not the German Law.

Now it is Nintendo's fault because of the law? Nintendo of Europe is in GERMANY. That is why this happened.

Why do you and icetroll insist on being stupid?
---
The NEW GigaVolts Seal of Approval.
http://i.imgur.com/KH8u3.png
#59bond465Posted 12/10/2012 4:34:59 AM
You're seriously telling me nintendos team of lawyers can't find a loop hole? Or maybe they are okay with it.
#60pikachupwnagePosted 12/10/2012 4:57:00 AM
Eoin posted...
It's important to remember that although this will only have a small effect on eShop games that are also available at retail (since, as has correctly been pointed out, most sales are still of disc-based games), it will have a significantly larger effect on eShop-only games. Their sales will be severely damaged in Europe, especially any multiplatform games, since people won't bother waiting, they'll just download from XBLA or the PlayStation Store.

Geez shouldn't their constitution ban this sort of crap(Not exactly knowledgeable on German law) but geez this is so ass backwards.

Seriously there needs to be enormous challenges to this law.

Its insane. Its a pathetic example of government nannyism that does little Significant but annoy adults to no end and damage the games market. Kids will find a way. They will sneak out of bed and download it or get a uncle to buy it for them or borrow it from a friend or something.

Kids can be crafty little bastards and a distant government law that is circumvented easily by a determined kid is no substitute for vigilant parenting.

Jackass Thompson must be so proud of these morons.
---
"Grab life by the horns and shake it till it moos "
Official electric boogaloo mint scoop with a cherry on top of the IDF