Nintendo confirms German law to blame for Europe-wide Wii U eShop 18+ content re

#81Helmsly2008Posted 12/10/2012 8:13:01 AM
This problem could easily be rectified by Nintendo. Move their servers to the UK or anywhere else in europe with less strict laws, or check peoples IP's address's when they connect to the german servers and allow non-german users to download games/trailers/demos at any time.

Heck, doesn't the Wii U ask you to input your region when you first set it up? just make the server software be able to recognize that bit of information and again, allow non-germans to download stuff at any time.

Big_Isaac posted...
oh joy, now Greek and Spanish people get to hate us Germans not only because we (and France) saved Europe from the dept crisis (how DARE we!)

lol, has this got to do with anything here?
#82PigfartsPosted 12/10/2012 8:17:08 AM
How come this law doesn't effect sony and MS?
---
If you don't like the smell of pigfarts, stay out of the pigpen.
#83BKXDPosted 12/10/2012 8:19:07 AM
Germans ruin everything.
---
Wii U NNID: BillNWI (message me either here or on Miiverse if you add me)
#84Helmsly2008Posted 12/10/2012 8:20:05 AM
Pigfarts posted...

Their HQ's in Europe are not based in Germany.
#85PedroMontanaPosted 12/10/2012 8:26:14 AM(edited)
bond465 posted...
Hmm wonder how psn and xbl got around it?

PSN didn't "get around it" at all, there merely chose a a different solution for the problem:
The made it so that the PSN prepaid cards they sell are rated 18 in Germany, so as long as the retailers don't break the law by selling the games to minors (or parents by the cards for their children), no one under 18 can buy anything on PSN, not even cute platformers or sports games.

Not being able to sell to minors at all is likely a worse scenario for Nintendo then being able to sell to everyone online, but restricting the 18 rated stuff to the night.

I don't know what Microsoft does about this, i could imagine they just block all 18 rated contend in Germany, or somehow get around the law by being located in London (UK) and not in Germany.
Keep in mind that what is illegal is SELLING to minors, not buying as a minor, so MS could interpret the law in a way that they SELL from the UK the game in the UK because that's where their headquarters are located.

I can definitely imagine this whole situation changing over time, for better or worse.
But people need to stop to act so ignorant and childish about the fact that Nintendo NEEDS to follow the law and that making the eShop cards rated 18 is not a perfect solution either and might actually be the worse solution economically.
---
No More Heroes
#86RhinoStregaPosted 12/10/2012 8:33:31 AM
Now you are putting words in my mouth. Please, learn how to read.
---
Monster Hunter is awesome.
#87PigfartsPosted 12/10/2012 8:37:25 AM
Helmsly2008 posted...
Pigfarts posted...

Their HQ's in Europe are not based in Germany.

Aren't Sony and nintendo japan, and MS america?
---
If you don't like the smell of pigfarts, stay out of the pigpen.
#88Chocobo115Posted 12/10/2012 8:37:51 AM
whilst very minor,
Another reason for me to not get a Wii U at the moment.
#89kinglink13Posted 12/10/2012 8:39:08 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Well, so much for GTA V ever coming to the Wii U along with multiple other 18+ Games

Lol what?
---
Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft = Epic
#90Ol_TodPosted 12/10/2012 8:42:14 AM
dasboos posted...
Way to try a dispell the notion that it's another kiddie console.

Why do people like you even exist?
---
Holding upon high my severed head, the peasants say, "The Kingdom of Demons is upon us." - DIR EN GREY
http://www.tf2outpost.com/backpack/96730