Wii U is now the last surviving console. MS and Sony are finished.

#101Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/10/2012 12:48:49 PM(edited)
Mizako posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Mizako posted...
Megagunstarman posted...

They could sell a box for $350-$400 at a small profit. It's not hard nowadays to build a cheep PC that can play games. I hear that's what M$ and Sony are doing.

They don't need a profit. They will sell a PC with Steam. So, consumers will buy on Steam. They will get the profit they need here.
And Linux is lighter than Windows, they will need less RAM or raw power on a, supposedly, optimized linux system for gaming.

They would have to run Wine to even power Windows games, and Wine does not give the greatest peformance in some games

and then you need developers to switch over to Linux to begin with, which means step away from the common API Direct X and use OpenGL

I was thinking about Linux ports. I don't think they intend to use Wine.
And developers don't use Direct X for console ports (except for the xbox?), I don't think it will be a huge step.

I'm referring to the PC team, that would require an additional team of developers to develop for Windows, Linux, 360/PS3/Wii U(Using those for port purposes)

and then they would be forced to make two versions for the PC (Windows/Linux) (I'll never say Mac because they get very little support) so that adds up cost and the sales already for PC are not the greatest except for a few games so that could cause concern on which OS to develop for..

and then if you think it's complicate enough to test for bugs, etc under different hardware configurations, try different hardware configurations plus operating systems

It's going to be a damn mess

edit: I'd like to see more support for Linux so I can get away from Windows, only reason I keep it but I really don't see Linux gaming taking off

---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#102Vicious7Posted 12/10/2012 12:46:39 PM
Console
= 5 years later can still run games made for it
= average consumer just needs to plug and play

Computer
= 5 years later very real chance it may not be able to run games made for it without upgrade(s)
= average consumer has no idea how to upgrade a computer

PC won't kill off the console as long as the average consumer is the average gamer.
#103Ness0123456789Posted 12/10/2012 12:57:18 PM(edited)
I swear I must be the only person who sees this entire endeavor by Valve as one of the stupidest things they've ever done in a history of really stupid decisions.

Yes, it's going to be a Living Room PC, but no, it's not going to be a good purchase as far as bang for your buck goes. The "Console", if you even want to call it that, is being toted as a living room friendly PC that's going to compete with other consoles. We already have those, they're called marked up Alienware and Dell PCs.

These Valve PCs are heavily controlled and manufactured machines which will likely have no customization to them what so ever. Yes, you could but one of these things to play it on your TV, but why would you? I could just as easily pay $1500ish, get a top of the line PC with an HDMI hook up to my TV and...do exactly what Gabe is saying this thing will do.

Let's look at what he's saying. He wants it to compete with the next Xbox, Playstation, and WiiU. The only way that's going to happen is if this thing is in a competitive price range. And if that's the case, than that means it's power is going to be severely limited in order to maintain the $500-600 it needs to be to stay competitive.

Than there's the issue that this "PC" is going to likely run in Linux because Windows 8 is terrible, and instead of doing the intelligent thing and shipping these things with Windows 7, they'll isntead be shipped with the Linux OS which, let's be honest, is no where near being ready to take the throne as top gaming OS. You'd be buying a machine that can run, at most, 10% of Steam's catalog at launch, where as I could spend a little extra, get a gaming ready PC with Windows 7 installed, and run EVERYTHING on Steam, as well as do everything else a PC can do.

Let's also not forget that this thing is going to be "tightly controlled and regulated", which basically boils down to "If it aint on Steam, you aint playing it" situation, and that's just idiotic in every sense of the word, even for as good as Steam is.

I just don't see the logic, reasoning, or intelligence in making something like this. You can already hook your PC up to your TV with little difficulty, and while the tower might be a smidgen loud, that's really not a major problem if the thing's far enough away from where you're sitting.

This entire idea is stupid, Valve is stupid for trying to do this, and yes, Gabe Newell is prooving once again he's a complete fool when it comes to these sort of things. I'm just praying this doesn't end up killing Valve as a company, as they do make good games, and Steam is god's gift to man when it comes to digital distribution and PC gaming. Seeing both Valve and Steam go away because of one large, stupid man's poorly planned out decision to "Compete with the evil console companies and make Microsoft pay for releasing Windows 8".
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#104HeaderHogPosted 12/10/2012 12:59:54 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
CBrate posted...
Does nobody realise that Wii U won't survive the Ouya?

That is a major threat for a system aimed at casual gaming since that's basically the Ouya is, a system for casual gaming. I almost kick started it but was like nah, I'll never use it

What's the Ouya?
---
I used to say Waluigi sucked.
Then I took a golf ball to the knee.
#105hotgamerPosted 12/10/2012 1:03:51 PM
This won't change anything. Sony, MS and Nintendo will all stay. Most PC gamers already have their own gaming PC and this new console will only run what is already on steam. Talk about being redundant.
---
Trying to contain the chaos is futile.
#106SuperturkeysPosted 12/10/2012 1:11:15 PM
Call me when the new Zelda game shows up on a PC. I'll send you a cookie for being right..
---
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters.
- Frank Lloyd Wright
#107GM_Posted 12/10/2012 1:39:36 PM
Quote:Call me when the new Zelda game shows up on a PC. I'll send you a cookie for being right..
@Superturkeys

You can play all Zelda games on the PC anyway.
#108petran78Posted 12/10/2012 1:46:32 PM
Ness0123456789 posted...
I swear I must be the only person who sees this entire endeavor by Valve as one of the stupidest things they've ever done in a history of really stupid decisions.

Yes, it's going to be a Living Room PC, but no, it's not going to be a good purchase as far as bang for your buck goes. The "Console", if you even want to call it that, is being toted as a living room friendly PC that's going to compete with other consoles. We already have those, they're called marked up Alienware and Dell PCs.

These Valve PCs are heavily controlled and manufactured machines which will likely have no customization to them what so ever. Yes, you could but one of these things to play it on your TV, but why would you? I could just as easily pay $1500ish, get a top of the line PC with an HDMI hook up to my TV and...do exactly what Gabe is saying this thing will do.

Let's look at what he's saying. He wants it to compete with the next Xbox, Playstation, and WiiU. The only way that's going to happen is if this thing is in a competitive price range. And if that's the case, than that means it's power is going to be severely limited in order to maintain the $500-600 it needs to be to stay competitive.

Than there's the issue that this "PC" is going to likely run in Linux because Windows 8 is terrible, and instead of doing the intelligent thing and shipping these things with Windows 7, they'll isntead be shipped with the Linux OS which, let's be honest, is no where near being ready to take the throne as top gaming OS. You'd be buying a machine that can run, at most, 10% of Steam's catalog at launch, where as I could spend a little extra, get a gaming ready PC with Windows 7 installed, and run EVERYTHING on Steam, as well as do everything else a PC can do.

Let's also not forget that this thing is going to be "tightly controlled and regulated", which basically boils down to "If it aint on Steam, you aint playing it" situation, and that's just idiotic in every sense of the word, even for as good as Steam is.

I just don't see the logic, reasoning, or intelligence in making something like this. You can already hook your PC up to your TV with little difficulty, and while the tower might be a smidgen loud, that's really not a major problem if the thing's far enough away from where you're sitting.

This entire idea is stupid, Valve is stupid for trying to do this, and yes, Gabe Newell is prooving once again he's a complete fool when it comes to these sort of things. I'm just praying this doesn't end up killing Valve as a company, as they do make good games, and Steam is god's gift to man when it comes to digital distribution and PC gaming. Seeing both Valve and Steam go away because of one large, stupid man's poorly planned out decision to "Compete with the evil console companies and make Microsoft pay for releasing Windows 8".

With Valves support the OS will have a lot of features and will be able too optimize the hardware and run games smooth. Linux distros are less resource hungry than Windows. also Valve DRM is a lot better than that of consoles.

also, since games are distributed digitally it would be more practical to carry one or more games and savegames on a USB stick than on a disc.

the main issue is whether Valve can win developers over. there is a high chance they might.

if this device has both the advantages of consoles and PCs, it will succeed.
---
Q.You want so see some other stuff? What Console? A.Console? Q.What platform? A.Uh, Moral Turpitude?
Q.PC it is, then.
#109Vicious7Posted 12/10/2012 1:49:35 PM
Superturkeys posted...
Call me when the new Zelda game shows up on a PC. I'll send you a cookie for being right..

Ever heard of an emulator?
Now where's my cookie?
#110DraconFlame27Posted 12/10/2012 1:52:12 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]