Wii U is now the last surviving console. MS and Sony are finished.

#91Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/10/2012 12:21:39 PM
strongo9 posted...
Mizako posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Mizako posted...
If we have a PC (with or without linux) with Steam installed, what is the point of this Steambox ?

I don't think that I need more than my "PC with Steam/Nintendo System" Combo.

Gabe trying to make money, he believes it'll revolutionize PC gaming by getting more people into it.

Living Room Gaming for the PC, I don't think he's aware of Alienware selling similar devices

Yes, he want probably to increase the number of PC player (and Steam users).
But, i can plug my PC on my TV and i have my "steambox".
I don't think that Valve target Steam "heavy" users or Hardcore PC gamers with this project.

The Alienware devices suck. Valve will get it right.

I can't wait to see the Sony and Microsoft get butthurt over this.

Sony and Microsoft have been competing over PC gaming since they been around, why would that be any different with a Valve Box that plays the same PC games today? Valve will have to use lower end parts and after one or two years the new PC games will be ran at even lower settings. It's not a traditional console where the developers make the game for that console for years and years, it's a PC and developers will continue to create games that'll soon make that device chug when it tries to run them

and if it uses higher end parts, why not just build your own PC..
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#92MizakoPosted 12/10/2012 12:30:31 PM
Megagunstarman posted...

They could sell a box for $350-$400 at a small profit. It's not hard nowadays to build a cheep PC that can play games. I hear that's what M$ and Sony are doing.

They don't need a profit. They will sell a PC with Steam. So, consumers will buy on Steam. They will get the profit they need here.
And Linux is lighter than Windows, they will need less RAM or raw power on a, supposedly, optimized linux system for gaming.
#93Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/10/2012 12:31:13 PM
Megagunstarman posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Mizako posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Mizako posted...
If we have a PC (with or without linux) with Steam installed, what is the point of this Steambox ?

I don't think that I need more than my "PC with Steam/Nintendo System" Combo.

Gabe trying to make money, he believes it'll revolutionize PC gaming by getting more people into it.

Living Room Gaming for the PC, I don't think he's aware of Alienware selling similar devices

Yes, he want probably to increase the number of PC player (and Steam users).
But, i can plug my PC on my TV and i have my "steambox".
I don't think that Valve target Steam "heavy" users or Hardcore PC gamers with this project.

I don't see it doing well to be honest, Consoles are sold at a loss or slight profit for awhile at first, most of the money comes from software and license fees. Valve gets money via Steam sales but it's only going to gain a little extra revenue by going that route and they're not going to be able to sell the console at a great profit unless they charge out the ass and it's going to be under powered as hell if they try to keep the cost low. I just don't see it, but Valve has been good about doing things and making things seem to work so we'll see

Hell, if they wanna generate more money, release HL3 lol

They could sell a box for $350-$400 at a small profit. It's not hard nowadays to build a cheep PC that can play games. I hear that's what M$ and Sony are doing.

Think of this way, it's still a PC and when you don't upgrade your PC. The graphics progressively get worse as you're forced to lower settings

With a console, during the duration of it's life the graphics actually get better.

$350 would give it an actual shelf life of about 1.5 years before it falls behind a current console.

Example..

In 2005, a high end gpu of say, a 7800GT was around when the Xbox 360 launched.

Try to run Far Cry 3 on the lowest settings with a 7800 at 720P, maybe 5fps.

Xbox 360 can run that game around medium settings, no AA(PC wise) at 720P at around 30fps

See what I'm getting at, PC hardware does not age well like console hardware so in. The Valve Box will not age well with the other consoles and it'll start to die off without an upgrade compared to a freshly released console of the same generation/release

You can spout off non sense like you normally do and post your typical "Entry level PC"

but even the highest end PC back when the 360 launched cannot run the games it can today, so in other words it actually beats a high end PC in terms of power and developer ability to do much more with.

I perfer PC gaming since I like the option to upgrade and run games at the highest level of graphics possible but historical wise, the Valve Box cannot compete with a next generation console unless they really screw up in the design for no more than a year or so before it age catches up and makes it worse than a console in a graphical sense
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#94MelkacPosted 12/10/2012 12:31:37 PM
Megagunstarman posted...
Sony will still have exclusives.

But the multiplat machine M$ will put out is doomed.

As much as you may think they do, Sony's multiplats don't really push console's sales. You just need to see how much most of them sell, or just see how much Uncharted Golden Abyss helped VITA.

Now you're gonna say how much they actually matter...
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43C2aBKMqeA
#95CBratePosted 12/10/2012 12:31:39 PM
Does nobody realise that Wii U won't survive the Ouya?
---
To all the trolls out there, I have 173 users on my ignore list. Come at me. My list needs to grow...
The latest ignoree: Xander7756
#96Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/10/2012 12:32:47 PM
Mizako posted...
Megagunstarman posted...

They don't need a profit. They will sell a PC with Steam. So, consumers will buy on Steam. They will get the profit they need here.
And Linux is lighter than Windows, they will need less RAM or raw power on a, supposedly, optimized linux system for gaming.

They would have to run Wine to even power Windows games, and Wine does not give the greatest peformance in some games

and then you need developers to switch over to Linux to begin with, which means step away from the common API Direct X and use OpenGL
---
#97singhellotakuPosted 12/10/2012 12:34:47 PM
I have a gaming computer and still prefer consoles, this changes nothing
#98Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/10/2012 12:38:31 PM
CBrate posted...
Does nobody realise that Wii U won't survive the Ouya?

That is a major threat for a system aimed at casual gaming since that's basically the Ouya is, a system for casual gaming. I almost kick started it but was like nah, I'll never use it
---
#99MegagunstarmanPosted 12/10/2012 12:40:56 PM
Melkac posted...
Megagunstarman posted...
Sony will still have exclusives.

But the multiplat machine M$ will put out is doomed.

As much as you may think they do, Sony's multiplats don't really push console's sales. You just need to see how much most of them sell, or just see how much Uncharted Golden Abyss helped VITA.

Now you're gonna say how much they actually matter...

Games sell hardware. That's a fact.

Sony has quite a few exclusives. None of them are on the system selling level that Mario Kart and Smash are, but as a whole they do a pretty good job.
---
I'm not changing this until a new Jet Set Radio is announced. Started 10/13/11
#100MizakoPosted 12/10/2012 12:42:31 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Mizako posted...
Megagunstarman posted...

They would have to run Wine to even power Windows games, and Wine does not give the greatest peformance in some games

and then you need developers to switch over to Linux to begin with, which means step away from the common API Direct X and use OpenGL

I was thinking about Linux ports. I don't think they intend to use Wine.
And developers don't use Direct X for console ports (except for the xbox?), I don't think it will be a huge step.