ZombiU is a great launch game

#1andizzle29662Posted 12/10/2012 11:23:29 PM
Truly fantastic. The graphics are good, the sound is immersive, with the prepper talking to you via the gamepad. The lighting effects are outstanding, with my only complaint being the textures are low res. the gameplay does take time getting use to, but I turned my sensitivity up and it solved my issues. The game is tense, zombies are very aggressive in the game. I'm hoping for a sequel, have you played the game?
---
I want to know if any of yall like me as a poster, let me know what you think! Hit me up via message
#2Final Fantasy2389Posted 12/10/2012 11:45:40 PM
I like the idea and concept of the game. But it bores me. I was playing for about 4 hours earlier and I just.... I wasn't really having fun.
I'm putting blame on the slow as f*** combat on top of a dull and uninteresting story. At least from what I've played so far.

I don't mind the whole dying, need to find stuff from old survivor aspect. I rather enjoy it. I enjoy all the gamepad interactions and all that jazz. I even enjoy how going into your bag for stuff is real time, but the combat, which you will use for most of the game, is very slow.

All of this is my opinion. You can disagree. Go for it. I will say I DO like the game for the most part.
---
WWE Diva and SES season 1 winner. Smart. Sexy. Powerful. Eve Torres <3
http://bit.ly/MMcHX9 | http://bit.ly/KXA8Rg | http://bit.ly/RQBee0
#3tigg06Posted 12/10/2012 11:48:34 PM
Final Fantasy2389 posted...
I like the idea and concept of the game. But it bores me. I was playing for about 4 hours earlier and I just.... I wasn't really having fun.
I'm putting blame on the slow as f*** combat on top of a dull and uninteresting story. At least from what I've played so far.

I don't mind the whole dying, need to find stuff from old survivor aspect. I rather enjoy it. I enjoy all the gamepad interactions and all that jazz. I even enjoy how going into your bag for stuff is real time, but the combat, which you will use for most of the game, is very slow.

All of this is my opinion. You can disagree. Go for it. I will say I DO like the game for the most part.

I totally agree.. I like the game, like the set up for the gamepad, but I find I have to play the game in "spurts" play a little here and a little there. I havent tried the multiplayer yet, so I dont know how that is, and I do and would recommend the game to others
#4EternalWolfPosted 12/11/2012 12:05:23 AM
andizzle29662 posted...
Truly fantastic. The graphics are good, the sound is immersive, with the prepper talking to you via the gamepad. The lighting effects are outstanding, with my only complaint being the textures are low res. the gameplay does take time getting use to, but I turned my sensitivity up and it solved my issues. The game is tense, zombies are very aggressive in the game. I'm hoping for a sequel, have you played the game?

It is a good launch game, an acceptable one.

The graphics are not good, they are sub-par. The sound is good and they make good use of the effects(personally I dont care for the prepper, but that is opinion, needs more music as well). The lighting is trash. The gameplay has good ideas but it controls horribly. There is no reason for it not to be as fluid as RAGE, if they wanted to make it harder than dont allow every shot to be spot on/perfect if aimed correctly, have the character moving his hands instead so the gameplay is still fluid.

The engine is extremely disappointing but I will give it a pass since it was rushed. Like I already mentioned, the graphics are sub-par but that isnt even a problem to me. My problem is the flat out horrible lighting but even more so is the pipeline and streaming of the engine itself. The game runs at a terrible framerate and is way to choppy, zombies will appear out of thin air all to often and sometimes when you start the game up it skips half the wake up scene. Its so damn slow and when you take in account the quality of the graphics and textures it really makes you wonder if they know how to code a game properly, even with a rushed deadline.

I dont know why people are saying the lighting is good, it isnt. They make good use of the lighting, when it appears and the "gimmicks" behind it, but that doesnt mean it has good lighting. Its honestly some of the worst lighting I have seen this gen, it just doesnt look good at all. If there is a fire in the room the room wont light up until you get close to the fire, where the room suddenly starts blooming red for no reason whatsoever, its just ugly. The flaslight looks terrible, it looks like a layered and even pixelated, 2d lighting effect instead of real time lighting. DOOM 3 had much better lighting and that is pretty outdated. Games on GCN such as Luigi's Mansion or Resident Evil 4 had much better lighting.

This is a game that I truly believe could have been a AAA quality title with more time and/or a more competent staff. I have never played a Ubisoft game that I have truly liked, they just seem to have low production values and games that are loaded with glitches or engine problems no matter the ambition(Assassins Creed to Turtles in Time, how could they not get Turtles in Time running properly on consoles...?).

Its a 7/10 for me.
---
As We Go...
http://i42.tinypic.com/2m82zjm.jpg
#5EternalWolfPosted 12/11/2012 12:24:52 AM
Also, like others have said, its slow paced IMO even for a survival horror game. Before I bought it I read how hard it was, how scary it was, how there were so many zombies that you had to run away to survive etc... Bulls***.

They give you the cricket bat from the start and I have rarely used another weapon. Sometimes I would switch to a pistol if I ran into a projectile enemy or those enemies you dont want to hit up close for obvious reasons, but outside of that I have found no reason to fire a gun or "waste" ammo. Its just to damn easy.

I am also constantly blowing up or lighting up my safe house because my backpack and container is full and I would prefer to have health and ammo over the other useless junk. The only reason I even used planks so far was to get rid of them, not to stop zombies.

I have died a few times, but not because the game was hard.

They needed to put a lot more zombies and ambushes in this game. Its just to easy to take out a group of zombies because they are zombies hence they are idiots. All you have to do is get out your bat and force them to go at you one by one by making them crawl or walk through a door.

It just could have been so much better. I actually find it sad that the developers said nobody beat the game without dying until a few days before the product was finished. Really? How is that even possible? You know pretty much every inch of the game and even if you didnt, at worst they know as much as I do about the game. You have tested it for countless hours. How can you not do a speed run of this game without problems?

Thats another thing, this would make for a great game to speed run, but like mentioned before, that game is unnecessarily slow paced and the engine just isnt good enough to handle a speed run. If you just run from room to room the game suffers from very annoying stuttering and pop-in.

It could have been a pretty good alternative to Metroid Prime and your average FPS. It shows all this potential but it appears to be made by rookie developers trying to overachieve, which they are not, rather than industry veterans that know what they are doing. Really its a shame that these guys thought of this concept instead of someone like id Software(who have put out some boring, but solid products and are currently suffering from a serious lack of game design and concept).

Could you imagine ZombiU running on id Tech 5 and not only id Tech 5, but a f***ing VR Headset? It would probably be a true system seller.
---
As We Go...
http://i42.tinypic.com/2m82zjm.jpg
#6Lemmywinks13Posted 12/11/2012 12:29:19 AM
I love this game as well. One of my favorite launch titles of all time, maybe only behind Mario 64. It's that good to me.
#7andizzle29662(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2012 12:53:10 AM
It's a little slow, but it's suppose to be that way. I think it's a good game, not amazing. I like reading the newspapers too in the game, their a neat collectible.
---
I want to know if any of yall like me as a poster, let me know what you think! Hit me up via message
#8deadpool_legendPosted 12/11/2012 1:07:35 AM
I honestly think if this was set in the Resident Evil universe (yes obviously impossible because this isn't a capcom game), I would enjoy it more. The simple fact for me is that the world is boring. It doesn't intrigue me in the slightest and I have no desire to see the next location. Operation Raccoon City had me raging more times than I can count, but I enjoyed it overall because it was set in a universe I already loved and it was fun seeing various RE cameos and references.

Then yeah I don't mind the dying and having to recollect your items. What I do mind is how long it takes to get back. I guess that's kind of the point, but it just bores me when a game's penalty for dying is for your time to be wasted. I even hated this about Metroid Prime which is one of my favorite games ever. Ubisoft knows how to do this properly, look at Rayman Origins. That game was super difficult but it was never frustrating because you always respawned right before you failed...and I suck at platformers and loved it.

The melee combat is alright but swinging a bat only vertically makes no sense to me....it's a bat. Why can't you swing it horizontally like it was intended, for crowd control? Also why do they take so long and have to make such ridiculously loud grunts? Meh. Again, I could easily get through all that if the game's universe interested me, but it doesn't...at all.

But that's just my two cents.
---
"Hairy Zeus on a traffic light!"
-Deadpool, Issue #3