Other M sold almost double Corruption in Japan?

#51BuretsuPosted 12/12/2012 10:39:30 PM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
DTY3 posted...
Fusion makes no sense with Other M around.

For instance, why is Samus surprised by the whole breeding Metroids thing when it just happened in Other M as well? And that's the smallest issue I could find.

The same can be applied to Super Metroid to Fusion.

No, because in SM is was Mother Brain breeding Metroids.

In both Fusion AND Other M, it was the Federation doing it.
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#52P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 12/12/2012 10:39:33 PM
Balthor 2001 posted...
@P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N

No, just most.

Lolz
---
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Samurai Warriors 3DS
http://youtu.be/X21mJh6j9i4
#53stfn12345Posted 12/13/2012 10:08:13 AM
Buretsu posted...

If Samus was a man, most people would be confused why he so easily agreed to do everything Adam asked of him, and why he was so obsessed with motherhood.

By literary standards, the writing is shoddy. The symbolism is heavy-handed and badly done. Character development is non-existent. Plot points just disappear without any real conclusion.

Have you ever realized how many games these days have you following orders from a man on the other side of an intercom? And guess what? Most of the time you're playing as a dude. Are people ever confused? No. In Other M's case Samus is taking orders because she's not in charge. Adam and his troops are the only ones who are supposed to be there, and she's an intruder. Rather than taking her into custody or forcing her to leave he's allowing her to help out. This isn't sexist, it's a matter of how the world works.

And again, shoddy writing is open to interpretation. In my book 95% of all game writing is just as bad as Other M, so it doesn't bother me.

Just because a game is retro, doesn't mean it can't still get points across. If Samus was supposed to be completely frozen with terror at the sight of Ridley, it could have been shown prior.

And I don't know which ass this whole "wrong interpretation" was pulled out of. You and Pandaman both subscribe to this idea, and it doesn't make sense. I won't buy that Samus was always supposed to be a slave to her emotions, and a weak-willed submissive looking for a daddy figure to boss her around.

Thing is, back in the day story wasn't a big part of games. True, it was technically possible for them to show her terror, but they just didn't because it wasn't the way games were made. They often times opted to include the story in the game manual and, in Metroid's case, flesh it out in comic books.

This is where the wrong interpretation that I was referring to comes into play. There are Metroid comics out there that are considered canon that go into Samus's fear of Ridley. The Metroid Prime series made the mistake of not making any effort to show Samus's emotions during the whole adventure but had it, Ridley would have no doubt been a big part of the story rather than just "look guys, its that enemy from the old games!"

You haven't gotten to the end of Fusion, I guess.

Turns out the station in Fusion is actually breeding Metroids to use as weapons... the exact same plot as in Other M, and yet Samus is still somehow shocked about it in Fusion.

I have gotten to the end of Fusion a number of times it's one of my favorite Metroid games due to it's focus on story. Samus doesn't seem shocked at all when she discovers the Metroids, she comes off as mad at them for being so foolish. In Other M they attempted the same thing and the whole thing backfired, so it's only natural that Samus would be mad at them for risking making the same mistake again (and again in the final act when Adam reveals that they plan on trying to harness the X parasites as weapons as well).
#54SorsShinjoPosted 12/13/2012 10:16:24 AM
there are still people trying to defend other M's horrendous problems?
ah wait we're on the delusionboard so it's ok
---
If you feel scammed by a company but don't want to stop playing their games: Buy them used, it's the smart gamer's boycott method
#55AceMosPosted 12/13/2012 10:22:26 AM
in fusion samus STATES that she hates to take orders and threw out the entire game she ignores orders every time its a hinderuns to her

and the game beats you over the head with the mother hood theme

and all 3 female chars are shown to be incompatent becuse of there mother hood problems

and again samus did have a personality in all other metroid games it was subtle but it was there

and if sakamoto wants the manga to be canon said manga has samus get over her PTSD

and even make fun of ridley and KILL ridley then luagh at his death

and even on its own other M's story is full of plot holes

plot points come up then get droped

the bosses in other M are lack luster when all other metroids excelled with bosses
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#56DrkVrtxPosted 12/13/2012 10:30:42 AM
When it comes to Metroid, Japan is pretty much irrelevant. For whatever, Japanese gamers do not appear to like the series, which instead makes its success in western regions. With that in mind, the differences between the directions taken by western developers (Retro) and JP developers (Sakamoto/TN) in terms of the Metroid games they produced is pretty stark. If we ever see another Metroid, I would hope that Sakamoto is kept at arm's length during its development.
#57ShinChuckPosted 12/13/2012 10:48:15 AM
Was Other M decent? Sure. Is it still the worst-reviewed in modern times? Yup. It's well below any of the major titles, a good five or six points below Hunters, and 10-15 below anything else on both Metacritic and Gamerankings. Hovering in the high 70s, reception was probably somewhere between lukewarm and slightly positive, which isn't bad by any means, but isn't in keeping with the series' reputation.

I like some things. The gameplay was pretty fun and solid. It was linear, but so was Fusion. The graphics and look had a nice sort of middle ground, I thought, between the slightly cartoony earlier titles and Retro's releases.

The story was riddled with plotholes and inconsistencies. I don't have any problems with having a well-written female character who also happens to be whiny and confrontational, provided it's part of their character and not a stereotype, but Other M flew in the face of previous games' depictions of Samus entirely. Gameplay had some jarring transitions from action to physically turning the wiimote to scan.

It was a $10 I don't regret spending ultimately, even if Samus was turned into a whining, sniveling little caricature of herself.
---
GamerTag: ShinChuck, PSN: ShinChuck1
http://homepage.mac.com/shinchuck - Video games, YouTube, Deviantart, Etcetera.
#58The_DjokerPosted 12/13/2012 10:52:45 AM
IT's the worst selling Metroid game on the best selling Nintendo conosle. Meanwhile Prime 1 is the best selling Metroid game on the worst selling Nintendo console. That tells you everything you need to know about how much people care about Other M.
---
http://s12.postimage.org/8orxdffrv/ps4golden.png
#59thealmightydibPosted 12/13/2012 10:56:02 AM
I thought Pandaman was a somewhat reasonable fanatic, this topic has changed my thoughts on that... smh
---
No, John, unfortunately we don't have a code for "There's a man in my closet with a gun to my daughter's head." Although we obviously should.
#60TheNeoVoidPosted 12/13/2012 11:02:23 AM(edited)
thealmightydib posted...
I thought Pandaman was a somewhat reasonable fanatic, this topic has changed my thoughts on that... smh

Yeah lost all respect for fighting so hard for such a terrible Metroid game though he had already lost points for spelling Boba Fett as Bobba. Bad plot, bad gameplay, no exploration, and a complete murder of Samus' character.
---
Official Jirachi of the B/W 2 Boards
White FC: 1292 2918 6719