I really don't understand how NSMBU qualifies as a $60 game in this day and age

#121MotiJrPosted 12/12/2012 1:14:31 AM
If you don't own a Wii U, you have no opinion.
---
Fanboys are a cancer to gaming but Sony fanboys are a particularly aggressive and repulsive form.
#122DilliciousPosted 12/12/2012 1:18:32 AM
itt: Everyone taking the bait
---
3DS FC:1504-6147-0115 Steam:Dillicious
#123nintend0Fan46Posted 12/12/2012 1:36:13 AM
Sailor Goon posted...
A lot of the Wii U launch titles dont warrant a $60 price tag.....Nintendo Land, NSMBU, Scribblenauts....

A lot of games in general aren't worth $60. But I guess we can thank Microsoft and Sony for their pricing readjustment.
---
FGoAT Abbreviated: OoT, LttP, MM, EB, TF2, DE:HR, SSBB, SMG2, CoH, KNiD, SMW2:YI, P2, MK:DD, PW:AA, SC:CT, BK, L4D2, MP5, KI:U, MPT, 007:EoN, SC2, PM:TTYD...
#124IcecreamdunwichPosted 12/12/2012 1:44:08 AM
It's far superior to NSMBW and DKCR.

Doesn't say much as those games were awful.
#125IcecreamdunwichPosted 12/12/2012 1:46:18 AM
Sailor Goon posted...
A lot of the Wii U launch titles dont warrant a $60 price tag.....Nintendo Land, NSMBU, Scribblenauts....

A lot of games in general aren't worth $60. But I guess we can thank Microsoft and Sony for their pricing readjustment.

Microsoft and Sony didn't set those prices. Hell, Microsoft even started at launch with $49.99 for all first party titles
http://www.joystiq.com/2005/08/24/microsoft-first-party-xbox-360-games-to-retail-for-49-99/
#126UnbralPosted 12/12/2012 1:46:52 AM
Let the Nintendrones spend their parents' money with repetitive crap Nintendo throws at them. Not my loss, anyway.
---
The official Kouga Saburou of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#127nintend0Fan46Posted 12/12/2012 1:50:51 AM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
Sailor Goon posted...

Microsoft and Sony didn't set those prices. Hell, Microsoft even started at launch with $49.99 for all first party titles
http://www.joystiq.com/2005/08/24/microsoft-first-party-xbox-360-games-to-retail-for-49-99/

I know they didn't start it, but with high development costs, the publishers decided they needed more. Now everyone is hopping on the bandwagon.

I guess its more a case of greedy publishers rather than Microsoft or Sony, but they certainly used rising costs as an excuse.
---
FGoAT Abbreviated: OoT, LttP, MM, EB, TF2, DE:HR, SSBB, SMG2, CoH, KNiD, SMW2:YI, P2, MK:DD, PW:AA, SC:CT, BK, L4D2, MP5, KI:U, MPT, 007:EoN, SC2, PM:TTYD...
#128AceMosPosted 12/12/2012 2:03:09 AM
monkey you said metroid riped off other games what did it rip off?
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#129Ronald442Posted 12/12/2012 2:15:55 AM
People who say that Mario or Donkey Kong isn't worth the 30-40 extra bucks, that's an opinion not a fact. I have played Super Meat Boy, Limbo, Braid Trine but also the Nintendo 2D platformers DKCR and NSMBU

The difference in "Bang for your buck" for me is that the indie platformers mostly rely on one aspect to be great. Limbo mostly relies on on it's unique art style. The platform mechanics aren't amazing and neither are the puzzles. What kept me playing the game where the Amazing Visuals and sound. In Super Meat Boy, it was mostly the be a super-hard-ass difficulty that made me enjoy the game. Trine had the amazing Co-op (in single player that game bores me)

The Nintendo 2d platformer doesn't really rely on 1 aspect (like unique Visuals or creating a difficult experience) they get many things right. They always have Solid and Good controls, Amazing sound, good visuals (amazing visuals for DKCR i would say) and also an good co-op experience and amazing level design. What these Nintendo 2D platformers do so well in my opinion is that these games excel in almost everyway a 2D platformer can excel (the only exception is originality, so yes if you want new expereinces these games are not for you).

They also change things a bit every level, keeping the game interesting to the end. I do not finish 100% most indie platformers, I do Nintendo platformers Also the Nintendo platformers are extremely polished, more so than most indie platformers.

I feel that these Nintendo paltformers are worth the extra bucks. I won't deny that nostalgia plays a role in liking these games, but that does not mean they are not good or not worth the retail price, even for younger people.

Anyway that was my useless opinion to this useless topic :P
#130FlarethPosted 12/12/2012 4:37:50 AM
DesperateMonkey posted...
After a generation of amazing 2D games like Shadow Complex, Super Meat Boy, Trine, Mark of the Ninja, Limbo, Braid and Rayman I do not know how NSMBU is suppose to be a $60 game.

The level design in comparison is so uninspired and bland. Gameplay is fairly repetitive and gimmicks are shallow. This is definitely not better than what we have had on XBLA and PSN for $20 or less.

I am a huge fan of 2D platformers but I think Nintendo is really causing the industry to stagnate. Essentially, people just buy this game because it has Mario in it while these amazing indie devs struggle to break a million even with much better games at lower price points. I feel like the dominance of Mario is really killing the success of truly great 2D gaming.

I see noobs on here all day praising the NES and SNES while most likely completely ignorant of the new wave of 2D games that when compared directly against old school counter parts, would put them to shame. People don't actually like these retro games, they just like the games they played when they were young. Can we put down the nostalgia and start giving new developers a chance? Can we start to see bigger sales for other 2D companies so that they can grow and deliver even bigger and more creative experiences in the future? Or is this another generation where all the brilliant 2D devs are going to be suppressed by the likes of Mario, DK and Kirby?

First, why do you feel the need to bash one game in order to praise others? If you really were a "huge fan of 2D platformers" you'd want all of them to be successful. Secondly, out of those games you mentioned, only Super Meat Boy and Rayman Origins are straight up platformers, so as you might have noticed, the genre is kind of starved for us that really like these types of games (those other games are great too, don't get me wrong, but the focus is not the platforming).

I'd say that NSMBU is definitely worth the price if you are a platforming fan, or you like great co-op. The level design is great, and I'm not sure what your complaint about repetitive gameplay is all about. The levels are very varied, the difficulty satisfying and the challenge mode is awesome. The thing I love most about Nintendo platformers, like DK and Mario, is that the physics and controls always are excellent. I like Super Meat Boy and Rayman but they feel too floaty for me to really keep playing after I've beat them.

"noobs" praise the NES, SNES and Mega Drive because, sad as it is, that was the peak for 2D platforming fans. Super Mario Bros. 3, Yoshi's Island and Sonic 3 & Knuckles are still the kings of 2D platforming.
---
You sure are a keen observer of the obvious, kupo!
-Montblanc/FFTA