I really don't understand how NSMBU qualifies as a $60 game in this day and age

#151FF_FiendPosted 12/12/2012 10:28:06 AM
I'm a diehard Mario fan. And I completely, COMPLETELY agree with TC's post.

Which is why I waited in line on Black Friday at Old Navy and got the game for free with 40 dollars worth of 15 dollar jeans and cozy sweaters.
---
Playing: Epic Mickey 2, Pushmo, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Playstation All-Stars: Battle Royale
PSN ID: Call_Me_Queequeg
#152DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2012 10:39:25 AM(edited)
Ronald442 posted...
People who say that Mario or Donkey Kong isn't worth the 30-40 extra bucks, that's an opinion not a fact. I have played Super Meat Boy, Limbo, Braid Trine but also the Nintendo 2D platformers DKCR and NSMBU

The difference in "Bang for your buck" for me is that the indie platformers mostly rely on one aspect to be great. Limbo mostly relies on on it's unique art style. The platform mechanics aren't amazing and neither are the puzzles. What kept me playing the game where the Amazing Visuals and sound. In Super Meat Boy, it was mostly the be a super-hard-ass difficulty that made me enjoy the game. Trine had the amazing Co-op (in single player that game bores me)

The Nintendo 2d platformer doesn't really rely on 1 aspect (like unique Visuals or creating a difficult experience) they get many things right. They always have Solid and Good controls, Amazing sound, good visuals (amazing visuals for DKCR i would say) and also an good co-op experience and amazing level design. What these Nintendo 2D platformers do so well in my opinion is that these games excel in almost everyway a 2D platformer can excel (the only exception is originality, so yes if you want new expereinces these games are not for you).

They also change things a bit every level, keeping the game interesting to the end. I do not finish 100% most indie platformers, I do Nintendo platformers Also the Nintendo platformers are extremely polished, more so than most indie platformers.

I feel that these Nintendo paltformers are worth the extra bucks. I won't deny that nostalgia plays a role in liking these games, but that does not mean they are not good or not worth the retail price, even for younger people.

Anyway that was my useless opinion to this useless topic :P

Yes your opinion was useless because you clearly don't know anything about those games. Super Meat Boy does a ton of stuff well. It is hard but it has tons of diversity in its levels and bosses and settings compared to NSMBU. The fact that you think SMB is only about difficulty shows you didn't get very far.

Trine only does one thing well? How is that any different from Mario who just mostly jumps? There is far more interesting scenarios in Trine than there is in Mario that require REAL cooperation, not just spamming the A button. The co-op of Mario in comparison is a joke compared to the design of Trine 2 and Trines levels are far more diverse again.

Nintendo fanboys think every little thing Nintendo does is amazing and thats the problem with the 2D industry right now that stops other amazing developers from rising.

Its hilarious to see all the people trying to make this out to be about CoD or other consoles which I don't even care to discuss. Its more hilarious when they clearly talk about games they haven't played.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#153NiftyManZPosted 12/12/2012 10:43:49 AM
I am having a lot of fun with nsmbu. I feel it has been worth the 60 dollar price tag considering my time played and the enjoyment my wife and i have gotten out of it. I am sorry you do not feel the same.
---
BREAK IT DOWN KIRBY!! (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^) (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^)
#154GoombaXPosted 12/12/2012 10:45:37 AM
the levels in super meat boy are not that diverse and you need to quit fooling yourself.
---
Pro tip : Thats not how I would do it
#155JonbazookabozPosted 12/12/2012 10:48:07 AM
If they called the new mario game. Mario u. Not a soul would have complained. Personally i think its the best mario yet.
---
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"
#156DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2012 10:53:28 AM(edited)
GoombaX posted...
the levels in super meat boy are not that diverse and you need to quit fooling yourself.

oh lol, please tell me how NSMBU is more diverse. SMBoy gives way more different scenarios that requires different skill sets to perform. The best part of SMBoy is the far superior boss fights which are actually not just a complete joke. I often kill NSMBU bosses before I even know what they can do.

If you actually even played SMBoy you would realize the game is ALL about level design and levels that test different skills.

As for people who thought it was fine, I don't care if you enjoyed it or not. I care that you guys are ignorant of other great 2D experiences hence, like the casuals, you go out and spend $60 on it without even blinking yet you don't even know of games that are potentially just as good or better for $10-$15.

This is essentially creating an environment where it makes it impossible for 2D indie devs to rise above the niche indie station making cheap games on low budgets while Nintendo dominates the 2D experience with rehashes and nostalgia.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#157enjoinesPosted 12/12/2012 11:05:04 AM
ministerkataoka posted...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hdiPdEDjbo

thank you...

your post distracted me from contributing to this topic. :)
---
"Im hecka mad!"
#158darkqueenhelbaPosted 12/12/2012 11:10:27 AM
I really don't understand how anything qualifies for $60 or more. It's all subjective. Yet, you try to find some superfluous "meaning" behind it, as if that was your true intent. $60 is worth MORE than most HUMANS' lives.
---
My response to trolls; GET A JOB!!!
#159GeminiX7Posted 12/12/2012 11:14:03 AM
DesperateMonkey posted...
Because in terms of content, Call of Duty offers more than the competition at the same price while NSMBU offers a little more or sometimes LESS than games that cost only 20% of its price...

What shooters have more than Call of Duty? Whether you like the gameplay is irrelevant, they spend a lot of money delivering more to their fanbase for each iteration. Compare Modern Warfare 2 to Black Ops 2. Completely different game, campaign isn't remotely similar style anymore and has lots of upgrades and the extensive zombie mode is pretty damn impressive. Replays have been added along with a theatre mode and the traditional multiplayer is decked out.

Its contemporaries are Halo, Battlefield, Uncharted, Killzone and Resistance, none of which come close to delivering as much content except Halo.

NSMBU on the other hand is competing with $10-$20 games and often comes out behind them in graphics, gameplay and originality. I have no idea why a beautiful and interesting game like FEZ is considered $50 less than NSMBU when its a better game.

Even if you "hate" CoD, it's hard to argue with this. It's not simply a question of liking/not liking the game, it's the amount of content, the amount of work/new features put in and the amount of polish put in compared to it's peer games. What does NSMBU give consumers (other than the name) that can't be gotten by other platformers half it's price?
---
"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
#160GoombaXPosted 12/12/2012 11:15:34 AM
DesperateMonkey posted...
GoombaX posted...

oh lol, please tell me how NSMBU is more diverse. SMBoy gives way more different scenarios that requires different skill sets to perform. The best part of SMBoy is the far superior boss fights which are actually not just a complete joke. I often kill NSMBU bosses before I even know what they can do.

If you actually even played SMBoy you would realize the game is ALL about level design and levels that test different skills.

As for people who thought it was fine, I don't care if you enjoyed it or not. I care that you guys are ignorant of other great 2D experiences hence, like the casuals, you go out and spend $60 on it without even blinking yet you don't even know of games that are potentially just as good or better for $10-$15.

This is essentially creating an environment where it makes it impossible for 2D indie devs to rise above the niche indie station making cheap games on low budgets while Nintendo dominates the 2D experience with rehashes and nostalgia.

you obviously have never played NSMBU because most of the bosses dont allow you a chance to attack until they have performed there wave of attacks.
second SMB later levels are pretty similar, in fcat i remeber doing 5 levels in a row where the only difference was the missle placement.
thirdly dont challenge someone who knows a hell of a lot more about games than you. After all i have played every mario game, and i own all of Ed McMillen's games.
---
Pro tip : Thats not how I would do it