I really don't understand how NSMBU qualifies as a $60 game in this day and age

#161darkqueenhelbaPosted 12/12/2012 11:20:40 AM
GeminiX7 posted...
DesperateMonkey posted...
Because in terms of content, Call of Duty offers more than the competition at the same price while NSMBU offers a little more or sometimes LESS than games that cost only 20% of its price...

What shooters have more than Call of Duty? Whether you like the gameplay is irrelevant, they spend a lot of money delivering more to their fanbase for each iteration. Compare Modern Warfare 2 to Black Ops 2. Completely different game, campaign isn't remotely similar style anymore and has lots of upgrades and the extensive zombie mode is pretty damn impressive. Replays have been added along with a theatre mode and the traditional multiplayer is decked out.

Its contemporaries are Halo, Battlefield, Uncharted, Killzone and Resistance, none of which come close to delivering as much content except Halo.

NSMBU on the other hand is competing with $10-$20 games and often comes out behind them in graphics, gameplay and originality. I have no idea why a beautiful and interesting game like FEZ is considered $50 less than NSMBU when its a better game.

Even if you "hate" CoD, it's hard to argue with this. It's not simply a question of liking/not liking the game, it's the amount of content, the amount of work/new features put in and the amount of polish put in compared to it's peer games. What does NSMBU give consumers (other than the name) that can't be gotten by other platformers half it's price?

Consumers buy brands. Even a novice to the business world knows this much. As long as the brand company doesn't do anything to ward off the majority of their customers, they're doing fine. And Nintendo has only grown it's consumer base over the last few years. Sure, there are plenty of platformers that are just as good as Mario. But people KNOW Mario. So it's easy to sell again and again with little changes made for each title. Might not like that, but that's brass tacks.
---
My response to trolls; GET A JOB!!!
#162Solid_SOAPPosted 12/12/2012 12:15:47 PM
The games sell. It's not about the production value of the product, it's about the quantity it can sell, that's it. Why would Nintendo sell it for $10-$20 on eshop when it can sell more for $50-$60 in a store?

Also, despite the low production values, I'd wager to say that the latest NSMB game actually seems to have a girth of replay value and features, better than most $50-$60 launch games.
#163DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2012 2:02:16 PM
Quote:DesperateMonkey posted...
GoombaX posted...
the levels in super meat boy are not that diverse and you need to quit fooling yourself.

oh lol, please tell me how NSMBU is more diverse. SMBoy gives way more different scenarios that requires different skill sets to perform. The best part of SMBoy is the far superior boss fights which are actually not just a complete joke. I often kill NSMBU bosses before I even know what they can do.

If you actually even played SMBoy you would realize the game is ALL about level design and levels that test different skills.

As for people who thought it was fine, I don't care if you enjoyed it or not. I care that you guys are ignorant of other great 2D experiences hence, like the casuals, you go out and spend $60 on it without even blinking yet you don't even know of games that are potentially just as good or better for $10-$15.

This is essentially creating an environment where it makes it impossible for 2D indie devs to rise above the niche indie station making cheap games on low budgets while Nintendo dominates the 2D experience with rehashes and nostalgia.

you obviously have never played NSMBU because most of the bosses dont allow you a chance to attack until they have performed there wave of attacks.
second SMB later levels are pretty similar, in fcat i remeber doing 5 levels in a row where the only difference was the missle placement.
thirdly dont challenge someone who knows a hell of a lot more about games than you. After all i have played every mario game, and i own all of Ed McMillen's games.

@GoombaX
People who claim to know more usually don't know anything. You can easily take out so many of the bosses even before you get to see the repertoire of their attacks.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#164DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 12/12/2012 2:06:18 PM(edited)
Quote:The games sell. It's not about the production value of the product, it's about the quantity it can sell, that's it. Why would Nintendo sell it for $10-$20 on eshop when it can sell more for $50-$60 in a store?

Also, despite the low production values, I'd wager to say that the latest NSMB game actually seems to have a girth of replay value and features, better than most $50-$60 launch games.

@Solid_SOAP
It really doesn't. It's not even compare it with cod who bases its success on replaybility. Its not even close compared to the action genre with titles like GoW and bayonetta.

The whole issue is that it really can only compare with games around $10 to $15.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#165MegagunstarmanPosted 12/12/2012 2:06:53 PM
I can't wait for da 720 cause I don't know how too build a entry level pc.

Gunna be so cool broz.
---
I'm not changing this until a new Jet Set Radio is announced. Started 10/13/11
#166mjc0961Posted 12/12/2012 2:07:12 PM
b1gt0ne posted...
If Madden qualifies......

Buretsu posted...
Hey, if Call of Duty qualifies, why not Mario?

---
"Jak and Daxter does not have a sequel so that doesn't prove anything." - DesperateMonkey
#167Guesswhofoo2Posted 12/12/2012 2:07:20 PM
DesperateMonkey posted...
After a generation of amazing 2D games like Shadow Complex, Super Meat Boy, Trine, Mark of the Ninja, Limbo, Braid and Rayman I do not know how NSMBU is suppose to be a $60 game.

The level design in comparison is so uninspired and bland. Gameplay is fairly repetitive and gimmicks are shallow. This is definitely not better than what we have had on XBLA and PSN for $20 or less.

I am a huge fan of 2D platformers but I think Nintendo is really causing the industry to stagnate. Essentially, people just buy this game because it has Mario in it while these amazing indie devs struggle to break a million even with much better games at lower price points. I feel like the dominance of Mario is really killing the success of truly great 2D gaming.

I see noobs on here all day praising the NES and SNES while most likely completely ignorant of the new wave of 2D games that when compared directly against old school counter parts, would put them to shame. People don't actually like these retro games, they just like the games they played when they were young. Can we put down the nostalgia and start giving new developers a chance? Can we start to see bigger sales for other 2D companies so that they can grow and deliver even bigger and more creative experiences in the future? Or is this another generation where all the brilliant 2D devs are going to be suppressed by the likes of Mario, DK and Kirby?

You forget a few amazing platformers on XBOX Live (Splosion Man and Ms. Splosion Man)

Anyway....because it is Mario. Just because it is 2-D doesn't mean it isn't worth $60
#168AceMosPosted 12/12/2012 2:45:18 PM
what about games like kirbys epic yarn thats one of the most orignla 2d games in along long timed
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#169DJNfinityPosted 12/12/2012 2:48:13 PM
Buretsu posted...
Hey, if Call of Duty qualifies, why not Mario?

^^^this.
---
Nostalgia-~-[+..oo]
#170StickMen1090Posted 12/12/2012 2:54:18 PM
its a big named title.... Its what any business does with popular brands... Kinda like clothes or shoes