I really don't understand how NSMBU qualifies as a $60 game in this day and age

#191DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2012 5:09:34 AM
Flareth posted...
I regret actually posting a serious response in this topic.

Don't worry, no one took it seriously.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#192guedesbrawlPosted 12/13/2012 5:10:48 AM
lol,seriously monkey?

it's a first-party nintendo game,and pretty much their only big hit at launch.it's obviously going to be at full price.
if nintendo is truly selling the console at a loss they need to get the money form something else.

i won't compare mario to COD,never played any games form that series,doubt it will come even close to Team fortress 2 or metroid prime to be worthy of consideration.but as long as NSMBU has many levels and all of them are different,it's cool.but since it's mario,it doesn't last too long.but it's a new experience,even iif we have the same controls and blahblahblah.

the bosses,though,i agree.the only hard boss in mario's history,like,ever,was the final bowser battle in 64,with daredevil bouldergiest in second.the 2d games suffer from putting medium-hard levels to be ending with easy bosses.it wouldn't hurt to,like have bosses to be hard,add a checkpoint beside the door if needed.

i don't like to compare games that aren't of the same series,there are few aspects you can compare specially when talking about level design.the only thing it's really guilty off is re-using the very same world themes.they are very solid choices,but there's always a few things that as full worlds don't get in,like the traditional 1-2 cave.
the only cavern world we've ever got was vannila dome,and that's from super mario world.oher cool things would be factory levels,entirely ghost-themed levels,ruins,etc...
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#193mozilla345Posted 12/13/2012 5:15:43 AM
Buretsu posted...
Hey, if Call of Duty qualifies, why not Mario?

---
Nintendo Network ID: Chrome345
#194Ronald442Posted 12/13/2012 6:08:15 AM
DesperateMonkey posted...

How does it not? The 2D revival of Nintendo is the bane of the 2D industry. Its great to people who want to relive nostalgia but examples like DKCR and Kirby are just horrible... they release like a decade since their previous games yet brings no marked improvement. If DKCR was an obscure franchise it would have been a joke for reviewers to take it as a full priced game.

Thats the problem... NSMBWii, DKCR and Kirby seem to exhibit less improvements and changes than yearly CoD releases. I find this fact appalling. MW to MW2 had very obvious improvements and additions to the multiplayer experience and an even more epic campaign while introducing spec ops. Black Ops completely changed the setting and tone while delivering a full on zombie mode experience by fan demand and I think added replays as well as more MP features.

Also, I don't get your "Mario can offer a challenge and be relaxing with friends".

A)This implies that Mario at ANY stage can ever offer anything remotely close to SMBoy level challenge. Completely false.
B)Why can't you do this with Trine which actually has difficulty settings???

A)
Mario Can offer anything especially in NSMB2 and NSMBU where you have a Challange mode, These are difficult, very difficult and some are multiplayer too.

In mario the difficulty in levels are optional. Want to get all the Coins? (letters in Donkey Kong) then it starts te get difficult, just want to go on and do new levels, you can skip the optional collectibles. Does the game become to difficult? get someone to use the gamepad to help.

Mario can not at any stage offer the same challange as SMboy (the challanges are close but those are not really part of the 'core' experience), It was not my intention of implying that, sorry for that :P

B)
I will agree on your trine comment though even on easy it is still by design a complicated game, The one thing that mario multiplayer has over trine is that it is a more straightforward and thus accessible game. So I can enjoy it with more people (people who are not necessarily into videogames, you do not realise how complicated it is to be able to Jump, Attack and Block for some people)

Anyway these are my experiences and they are quite different from how you experienced them I think so I doubt we will really ever agree on the mario does not suck part :P ( I do say that Mario games should At max be 30$ considering just how simple the graphics are, still I still get plenty out of them that I do not consider 60$ a waste)

Just one question though, and I truly do not get this. Why is nintendo the bane of 2D industry, there are plenty of new, original and unique 2D platformers released every year and if that is what you want just buy those and forget about nintendo. What is Nintendo doing to prevent the other great 2D games, or am I reading 'bane of the industry' wrong'?
#195dennis941012Posted 12/13/2012 6:18:19 AM
Because in terms of content, Call of Duty offers more than the competition at the same price while NSMBU offers a little more or sometimes LESS than games that cost only 20% of its price...

What shooters have more than Call of Duty? Whether you like the gameplay is irrelevant, they spend a lot of money delivering more to their fanbase for each iteration. Compare Modern Warfare 2 to Black Ops 2. Completely different game, campaign isn't remotely similar style anymore and has lots of upgrades and the extensive zombie mode is pretty damn impressive. Replays have been added along with a theatre mode and the traditional multiplayer is decked out.

Its contemporaries are Halo, Battlefield, Uncharted, Killzone and Resistance, none of which come close to delivering as much content except Halo.

NSMBU on the other hand is competing with $10-$20 games and often comes out behind them in graphics, gameplay and originality. I have no idea why a beautiful and interesting game like FEZ is considered $50 less than NSMBU when its a better game.

no just no
---
(>")> <(' ')> <("<)
~GameFAQs LoL Board Supreme Leader~> voted by http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=89123
#196tizzywilkillyouPosted 12/13/2012 6:21:32 AM
Wiiplayer111 posted...
CoD lives up to all the industry standards

There is the stagnation you speak of. We have good games like Resident Evil trying to live up to "industry standards" and failing because its trying to be something that its not but since COD sells every games needs the shoehorned COD experience because developers fear it'll do bad because its not the same.

And games like ZombiU get mediocre reviews largely because they dare NOT to follow the "industry standards".
---
i5 2550k, 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3@1600mhz, EVGA GTX 550ti, 120GB OCZ SSD, 22in/1680x1050
#197mcsmellingtonPosted 12/13/2012 7:20:46 AM
tizzywilkillyou posted...
Wiiplayer111 posted...
CoD lives up to all the industry standards

There is the stagnation you speak of. We have good games like Resident Evil trying to live up to "industry standards" and failing because its trying to be something that its not but since COD sells every games needs the shoehorned COD experience because developers fear it'll do bad because its not the same.

And games like ZombiU get mediocre reviews largely because they dare NOT to follow the "industry standards".

Maybe they get mediocre reviews because they are mediocre. I'm enjoying ZombiU, but I play in small, short bursts because it's incredibly repetitive. There's no story to speak of, and a lot of the Gamepad stuff is a bit pointless. Not a bad game by any stretch, but it leans closer to mediocrity than greatness.
---
GT: McPoo
PSN/NNID: McSmellington
#198Renaissance2KPosted 12/13/2012 7:30:04 AM
If it didn't sell at $60, they wouldn't price it at $60.
#199PechabusterPosted 12/13/2012 1:46:43 PM
Flareth posted...
I regret actually posting a serious response in this topic.

Don't worry, no one took it seriously.

You don't constitute for everyone you clown. In fact your opinion is even less valid than a normal person's due to how you're purposely just trolling now.

And I regret putting youtube. ANYWHERE on the internet besides social sites that are most appealing to teenagers like Facebook and even there people are loathing it. Seriously, CoD is video game's Justin Bieber. I tried to be reasonable with you as I could've made fun of your CoD fanboyism anytime but I wanted to have a normal debate but I guess you're just too immature (CoD fanboy) to make one
#200Panic_at_discoPosted 12/13/2012 3:56:15 PM
Lol at playing cod ,halo .