I really don't understand how NSMBU qualifies as a $60 game in this day and age

#71DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2012 11:34:27 PM
@ADHDguitar
"I'm getting the vibe that you're just mad because I called you out on YOUR bluff. Look, if it makes you feel any better, I have BLOPS 2 on the Wii U."

This must be hilarious considering I just gave you my account which I played NSMBU on. But of course you will hang on to the desperate illusion that you actually called me out on anything. And lol at CoD having standard modes. The fact that you think thats all that can change just shows how inexperienced you are. I bet your gonna tell me next that BF3 is just like CoD because its modern war and that DM in Halo, BF3 and CoD are all exactly the same.

Also I never said they revamped everything from the ground up, I said they made more changes than Mario and DELIVERS all the standards and adds more on top of it, something that Mario does not do. Trying to change my argument must be a last resort?
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#72Baha05Posted 12/11/2012 11:35:37 PM
DesperateMonkey posted...
After a generation of amazing 2D games like Shadow Complex, Super Meat Boy, Trine, Mark of the Ninja, Limbo, Braid and Rayman I do not know how NSMBU is suppose to be a $60 game.

The level design in comparison is so uninspired and bland. Gameplay is fairly repetitive and gimmicks are shallow. This is definitely not better than what we have had on XBLA and PSN for $20 or less.

I am a huge fan of 2D platformers but I think Nintendo is really causing the industry to stagnate. Essentially, people just buy this game because it has Mario in it while these amazing indie devs struggle to break a million even with much better games at lower price points. I feel like the dominance of Mario is really killing the success of truly great 2D gaming.

I see noobs on here all day praising the NES and SNES while most likely completely ignorant of the new wave of 2D games that when compared directly against old school counter parts, would put them to shame. People don't actually like these retro games, they just like the games they played when they were young. Can we put down the nostalgia and start giving new developers a chance? Can we start to see bigger sales for other 2D companies so that they can grow and deliver even bigger and more creative experiences in the future? Or is this another generation where all the brilliant 2D devs are going to be suppressed by the likes of Mario, DK and Kirby?

Ehh well that's you opinion but I can't agree with it, NSMB U is still a pretty good game. Some of the reasons why indie developers struggle is the fact that they are small in comparison to bigger 2D platformers.

Also people praise the older generation of 2D platformers because they were revolutionary at the time and they still hold up as being great games. You can't just say people only have nostalgia glasses on when it comes to the classic 2D games. Indie developers will get a time to shine when they build up their companies (Which I'm pretty sure a few have by this point)
---
"LOL fail, SMG and GTA5 aren't even from the same decade. gj." - War_Fail
#73DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2012 11:36:38 PM
GoombaX posted...
Stealthlys posted...
Buretsu posted...
Stealthlys posted...
Too many idiots posting now, I wish there was a function to make topics disappear. Seriously some of the posts I'm trying to read make no sense at all. Then again I am on gfaqs.

Pretty sure that if you ignore someone, their topics aren't listed.

I dont wanna ignore trolls, they are funny, but sometimes they don't make sense at all.

yea tc isnt the brightest troll of them all, course none of the trolls on this board are >_>.
Its hard to have an argument with a troll when the troll makes themselves look dumb before you can. o well, this will just have to do for now.

Classic Nintendrone rebuttal of patting each other on the back with snide remarks. That is all you guys have around here, each other.

Its hilarious that I am even being called a troll because I've repeatedly been called a Nintendo fanboy when I was praising the U Pad, Nintendo Land, the multi screen multiplayer, the important functions that can make the Wii the next evolution in controls and how it is way better than Kinect and Move.

Fanboys and trolls are hilarious and I get to laugh at both sides on this board.
---
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#74nintend0Fan46Posted 12/11/2012 11:36:42 PM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
ADHDguitar posted...
CAlNlAC posted...
Yeah it is interesting how Nintendo can continue to put out 2D Mario games at the full retail price of $50 to $60 when there are indie devs putting out 2D games like Braid, Limbo, Fez, Shadow Complex, etc. all for the $10 to $15 range. Now I love myself some Mario but those indie games have been doing the 2D platforming genre better for a while in my opinion and at a fraction of the price.

I guess you can't blame Nintendo though. Mario is a huge name for them and they know they can sell it at that price and it will sell millions no problem.

Two words. Production cost.

Braid, Limbo, Fez, Shadow Complex, Super Meat Boy, all of those were made by small teams.

A AAA game, even a 2D platformer very similar to prior games costs millions. They can't afford to sell it for less.

Ah, so the indie devs are more efficient and more talented, got it.

Indie devs can afford to take risks, big developers cannot.
---
FGoAT Abbreviated: OoT, LttP, MM, EB, TF2, DE:HR, SSBB, SMG2, CoH, KNiD, SMW2:YI, P2, MK:DD, PW:AA, SC:CT, BK, L4D2, MP5, KI:U, MPT, 007:EoN, SC2, PM:TTYD...
#75IcecreamdunwichPosted 12/11/2012 11:38:52 PM
One of the best 'big budget' platform ers in a long time was Sonic Generations. Guess it makes sense, Mario has always had difficulties beating traditional Sonic.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#76Baha05Posted 12/11/2012 11:38:55 PM
CAlNlAC posted...
Wait are you saying indie devs are capable of putting out great AAA experiences using small dev teams and low budgets but Nintendo can't?

More of a risk for bigger developers to try something new and fail at it then it is for indie developers to try something new and fail at it.
---
"LOL fail, SMG and GTA5 aren't even from the same decade. gj." - War_Fail
#77AhnoldDoodPosted 12/11/2012 11:39:41 PM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
One of the best 'big budget' platform ers in a long time was Sonic Generations. Guess it makes sense, Mario has always had difficulties beating traditional Sonic.

No, and no.
#78GoombaXPosted 12/11/2012 11:40:49 PM
DesperateMonkey posted...
GoombaX posted...
Stealthlys posted...
Buretsu posted...
Stealthlys posted...
Too many idiots posting now, I wish there was a function to make topics disappear. Seriously some of the posts I'm trying to read make no sense at all. Then again I am on gfaqs.

Pretty sure that if you ignore someone, their topics aren't listed.

I dont wanna ignore trolls, they are funny, but sometimes they don't make sense at all.

yea tc isnt the brightest troll of them all, course none of the trolls on this board are >_>.
Its hard to have an argument with a troll when the troll makes themselves look dumb before you can. o well, this will just have to do for now.

Classic Nintendrone rebuttal of patting each other on the back with snide remarks. That is all you guys have around here, each other.

Its hilarious that I am even being called a troll because I've repeatedly been called a Nintendo fanboy when I was praising the U Pad, Nintendo Land, the multi screen multiplayer, the important functions that can make the Wii the next evolution in controls and how it is way better than Kinect and Move.

Fanboys and trolls are hilarious and I get to laugh at both sides on this board.

k
---
Pro tip : Thats not how I would do it
#79DesperateMonkey(Topic Creator)Posted 12/11/2012 11:41:07 PM
Wiiplayer111 posted...
But you havn't explained why NSMBU is causing stagnation. If anything SMB3 or SMW are causing it in the platforming genre because every single platformer gets compared to it eventually. Those games have unforgettable music, style, and controls. If NSMBU is as bad as you say, no one would try to emulate it.

It is causing stagnation because it relegates competing developers to the niche realm of downloadables while everyone thinks platformers that are "real games" are on Nintendo systems. Now that Nintendo has a better online store, the fear is that equally good indie developers who sell for way less will never be able to grow out of the indie market and bring innovative 2D platformers to the mainstream consciousness if Nintendo just keeps dominating the market with nostalgic rehashes.

Everyone pretends they hate shooters and love 2D games here yet by the posts in this topic, it is quite evident how ignorant these Nintendo fans are of any 2D experiences outside of Nintendo's. If that ignorance is rampant amongst people who come to GFaqs, how aware could the casual consumer who loves 2D games be of indie downloables?
---
#80TalentedMPosted 12/11/2012 11:43:57 PM
None of the games you mentioned TC struggled to get 1 million.

None of them.
---
Since this game rely on micro transaction when people leave for mop this game will be I survive. - MageGuyInfinity