Huh? You can download a Wii U game rather than buying it on disk?

#1swarmixPosted 12/11/2012 10:53:15 PM
I saw New Mario Bros U for download in the E Shop. So is there any reason to actually buy the disk?
---
Vote in my shoe survey!
http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/500069
#2Banjo2553Posted 12/11/2012 10:54:03 PM
Just to have a physical copy. But as of now there is the danger that you could lose what you downloaded if something bad happens to your Wii U.
---
Come see my game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
#3BuretsuPosted 12/11/2012 10:54:37 PM
The big two downsides are lack of resale value and portability.
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#4AhnoldDoodPosted 12/11/2012 10:54:39 PM
You could have the case and physical manual, and you'll save space on your console memory/USB memory.
#5ADHDguitarPosted 12/11/2012 10:54:44 PM
I buy hard copies out of sheer OCD.

But I'm starting to move toward digital games, ESPECIALLY on the 3DS.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#6Fire_PloverPosted 12/11/2012 11:00:07 PM
I *believe* that you can save games to an external hard drive, if you happen to have one laying around. That should offer the same portability, but in all honesty, I can't see why you wouldn't want a physical copy of the game. Is it discounted on the eShop?
---
GoldenEye: Aether'/RC : 0953-0826-2559
http://www.youtube.com/aethergoldeneye | www.bushleaguegaming.com
#7Tsutarja495Posted 12/11/2012 11:08:13 PM
I'm sticking with physical copies if at all possible (ie not download only stuff like Nano Assault Neo). I like holding the game in my hand. I like thinking this is MY game, rather than just this is A game. It's part of the reason I almost never use emulators, it doesn't feel the same.

Then there's the obvious stuff like being able to sell it if you wanted to (I'd never sell my games, so pass for this), being able to play the game on a new console if the last console gets wrecked, data space if you don't have some external hard drive, and so on.
#8DBPanterAPosted 12/11/2012 11:14:04 PM
The whole idea behind buying a Deluxe model is to download and to their digital promotion.

However, the issue arises is that most folks have no concept of the size of these games, and that it will take a very long time to download (have fun downloading AC:3 at 16.1 GB).

I use the 3DS to download most of my games since they are smaller, hence take less time. But for large games it becomes an issue of size and time. If the game is less than a few GB, I will buy retail. If not, I will go digital.
---
NNID: Minny612
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036
#9travPosted 12/11/2012 11:43:01 PM
Can you install Wii U disc games to a hard drive if you have one hooked up (like you can on the 360?

Do downloaded games have a chance of running better (faster load times, etc) over their disc counterparts?

The main issue I have is the way Nintendo runs their digital distribution model. I wish it was like Microsoft where it's simply tied to your Gamertag and you can download the game own another console as long as you are signed in. You can also reassign the game licenses to another console once per year, I believe. I am hesitant to download retail games to my Wii U for fear of having to repurchase them if something goes awry.
#10DBPanterAPosted 12/11/2012 11:47:06 PM
trav posted...
Can you install Wii U disc games to a hard drive if you have one hooked up (like you can on the 360?

Do downloaded games have a chance of running better (faster load times, etc) over their disc counterparts?

The main issue I have is the way Nintendo runs their digital distribution model. I wish it was like Microsoft where it's simply tied to your Gamertag and you can download the game own another console as long as you are signed in. You can also reassign the game licenses to another console once per year, I believe. I am hesitant to download retail games to my Wii U for fear of having to repurchase them if something goes awry.

1) You do not download games from disc to hard drive like Microsoft.

2) Faster load times and running better: There have been a few different unscientific studies on this issue. It seems from what I have seen there isn't a major difference. However, this is new tech, and I would assume as time progresses running from the hard drive will be faster, but not sure how noticeable.

3) If something goes awry, all the games purchased digitally are saved to your club nintendo account. If all hell breaks loose, it is all saved there. This happen with my Wii about 10 months ago, and everything came back, no worries.
---
NNID: Minny612
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036