Please, please explain to me how people can defend no online at this day and age

#1forest_wandererPosted 12/12/2012 12:40:55 PM
80/80

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/12/12/nintendo-explains-why-nintendo-land-lacked-online-multiplayer/

Now I know this debate has gone on and on and on for years, but it seems appropriate once again with Nintendo recently stating they could've implemented online multiplayer in Nintendoland, just because I cannot get over the number of people saying "That's the right decision. It shouldn't have online in it." It absolutely makes no rational sense to me, to see that type of response. Namely because that train of thought basically asserts that video games are unable to have both online and local multiplayer. How can people possibly defend the lack of options?

This isn't a matter of whether local or online is superior. For the record, given the chance I would almost always choose to play locally over online. But there are times when local simply isn't an option. So that's what I'm saying, make it a CHOICE. Putting online multiplayer into the game doesn't detriment the game in any way shape or form. You don't like online? That's perfectly fine, you can play locally every single day of your life and never touch the online mode.

And it's not a matter of allocating resources fully to local multiplayer either. That's not how the industry works. Play any modern game with online multiplayer, and you'll plainly see that the local and online multiplayer are almost identical. In development, you don't design the multiplayers as separate entities, you create one multiplayer, and once it's completed, you then implement the ability for it to play locally or connect to a server. Nintendo doesn't seem to understand that, and neither does anyone who defends their position either.

I know they're never going to change, but my God is it frustrating.
---
nightScan is one of the greatest human beings on the planet.
gamezrochard is a true man.
#2lazycomplifePosted 12/12/2012 12:41:46 PM
It's not 80/80 cause you didn't end with punctuation.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC: 0691 3070 5643
#3crowkillersPosted 12/12/2012 12:42:01 PM
I really am not into online play, but I know that most people are...
---
"Be Reasonable, Demand the Impossible"
www.crowkillers.com
#4ADHDguitarPosted 12/12/2012 12:42:16 PM
I disagree. Online in Nintendo Land would be fairly pointless.

NSMBU on the other hand...
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#51shadetail1Posted 12/12/2012 12:42:56 PM
Methinks you're confusing "defend" with "not care about". NintendoLand is still a collection of great games.
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
#6Baha05Posted 12/12/2012 12:43:59 PM
Easy, some games do better without online. Not every games needs online modes, with party games like Nintendo land I think it's far more fun to play with a group of friends in the room and a lot of the games in NL would seem to be kind of pointless offline.
---
"LOL fail, SMG and GTA5 aren't even from the same decade. gj." - War_Fail
#7HeaderHogPosted 12/12/2012 12:46:01 PM
Nintendo Land isn't exactly the type of game you'd play online FOR.
For one thing, they're mini games meant for split-screen in mind. Also, say in one mini game, everyone wanted to use the GamePad but not the Wii Remote?
---
I used to say Waluigi sucked.
Then I took a golf ball to the knee.
#8DiscostewSMPosted 12/12/2012 12:46:17 PM
Baha05 posted...
Easy, some games do better without online. Not every games needs online modes, with party games like Nintendo land I think it's far more fun to play with a group of friends in the room and a lot of the games in NL would seem to be kind of pointless offline.

Very true. A party game with friends online isn't really fun when you're the only one in the room.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#9LurkerLordPosted 12/12/2012 12:53:08 PM
It really doesn't make much sense to have online in Nintendoland. Some of the mini-games could work, but most of them do actually seem designed around being played, with a group, in front of the same TV or solo / co-op with wiimote.

But I get what you're saying, and it would of been nice to have the choice. Nintendo will at least add online to Mario Kart, Smash, Animal Crossing and others, so it's not like they're completely afraid of online.
#10G1ingyPosted 12/12/2012 12:54:35 PM
Because some people actually have friends in real life to play them with.