Please, please explain to me how people can defend no online at this day and age

#41TriforceBunPosted 12/12/2012 2:29:16 PM
Again, because resources aren't unlimited. Why doesn't every game ever made have twice as much content?

It's about priorities and a game's budget and about the best use of that budget. Developers are allowed to make a game with whatever features they want.
---
My Kirby/Smash comics: www.brawlinthefamily.com
Mother 3 = Game of the Year 2006
#42NyyarkPosted 12/12/2012 2:31:29 PM
MegaWinFTW posted...
There is no defending it. The simple truth is that if a game is multiplayer centric then to omit any online options and only offer local is just plain stupid.

However a disturbingly large proportion of this board seem to think that it's totally impossible to continue liking Nintendo products while also admitting their faults. This is a glaring and undeniable problem and just goes to show that Nintendo still doesn't "get" online at all, however the more their fanbase makes excuses the less inclined Nintendo will be to actually improve.

Someone in this topic even said that the demographic for online multiplayer was small, what kind of rock do you have to be living under to honestly think that?

Show me where a console party game/mini game compilation has a large online multiplayer demographic then.

"online multiplayer" by itself cannot be a demographic, I hope you can understand why.
#43Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 12/12/2012 2:34:46 PM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...
Indeed. But that is not always possible, online would solve this problem.

Except it really wouldn't. You'd still have to set up a time or day to get together online to play it.

Which is not the issue. The issue is getting everybody in one room to play.
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://i46.tinypic.com/b83ehv.gif
#44Baha05Posted 12/12/2012 2:36:33 PM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...

But having online doesn't solve the problem, actually unless your friends also have a Wii U and the same game you has it's just sticks you with playing with randoms.
---
"LOL fail, SMG and GTA5 aren't even from the same decade. gj." - War_Fail
#45Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 12/12/2012 2:39:37 PM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...

But having online doesn't solve the problem, actually unless your friends also have a Wii U and the same game you has it's just sticks you with playing with randoms.

My friends do have the same console and the same games (the ones we play together) that I have. Thus we have the ability to play together. If the games never had online this would not be a possibility (ie:Nintendoland)

So yes. Having online does solve the problem.
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://i46.tinypic.com/b83ehv.gif
#46Baha05Posted 12/12/2012 2:41:10 PM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...
So yes. Having online does solve the problem.

Not really because again, you are STILL having to set up times when you guys all get on and play together. And honestly if you have that much free time then you should have just a much free time to meet once a week to hang out and play a local game.
---
#47MegaWinFTWPosted 12/12/2012 2:41:19 PM
Baha05 posted...
MegaWinFTW posted...
What exactly is the harm though? Does allowing the option of online multiplayer restrict your options for playing it locally? Does letting people who don't have the option of playing locally actually utilise the multiplayer somehow dampen your enjoyment? Is online multiplayer not a much better option than playing the game entirely alone? Why exactly would anyone be opposed to allowing the option when it would do nothing but improve the game?

There is really no harm outside maybe funding, and with Nintendo land they'd have to block screen usage for some of the mini games. The fact of the matter is though the game not having it in no way damages it either and when you think about it the number of games with local only multiplayer in this generation is really small thus doesn't warrant a lot of complaining about it in the first place.

So, with the bolded part in mind, why exactly shouldn't there be any online options offered at all? You don't have to have a personal need for them to acknowledge that they should have been there, you are allowed to disagree with the choices Nintendo makes when they're stupid ones.

Not offering it does damage the game too, online multiplayer is not a new thing, in the eyes of many it is almost considered a necessity particularly if the game already offers local multiplayer. Also, once again, it would greatly improve the enjoyment of the game for those (and there are many) who don't have the option of playing locally regularly.

There aren't many games that only offer local multiplayer, true, but that's because both Sony and Microsoft have fully embraced the online space which was primarily due to overwhelming interest from the consumers. The issue here is that Nintendo are still resistant to it despite numerous claims that they would finally do so. When something like NSMB doesn't have online when it's such an obvious thing to do then there's clearly a problem. I honestly don't get why so many people are willing to make flimsy excuses rather than ask for better options.
#48NotoriousIynxPosted 12/12/2012 2:41:28 PM
Im guessing you havent played the multiplayer minigames on Nintendoland since you have no friends.
#49Rasputin77Posted 12/12/2012 2:41:56 PM
First off, if you don't know the differences between local multiplayer and online multiplayer, and how one is clearly better than the other in given situations, you're a f***ing toolbag who shouldn't be posting. ;)

Secondly...
SnakePaws posted...
However having them over at your place and playing Nintendo land is a great thing to do once a week.

What adults that actually have jobs and lives get together once a week to play Nintendo Land? Are you ****ing serious?

When these adults with jobs and "lives" (STOP using this phrase - it's beyond stupid. If you're alive and breathing, you have "a life", get it?) have a common interest, which happens to be playing video games, why wouldn't they get together and play?

Wait... nevermind. I have a feeling you're just someone who shouldn't be posting. ;)
---
"Kids yammering on about "trolls" WAY more than actual troll posts made." - Wii U board, 11/18/12-12/16/12
TL;DR = My parents; failed me.
#50Baha05Posted 12/12/2012 2:44:51 PM
MegaWinFTW posted...
So, with the bolded part in mind, why exactly shouldn't there be any online options offered at all? You don't have to have a personal need for them to acknowledge that they should have been there, you are allowed to disagree with the choices Nintendo makes when they're stupid ones.

Not offering it does damage the game too, online multiplayer is not a new thing, in the eyes of many it is almost considered a necessity particularly if the game already offers local multiplayer. Also, once again, it would greatly improve the enjoyment of the game for those (and there are many) who don't have the option of playing locally regularly.

There aren't many games that only offer local multiplayer, true, but that's because both Sony and Microsoft have fully embraced the online space which was primarily due to overwhelming interest from the consumers. The issue here is that Nintendo are still resistant to it despite numerous claims that they would finally do so. When something like NSMB doesn't have online when it's such an obvious thing to do then there's clearly a problem. I honestly don't get why so many people are willing to make flimsy excuses rather than ask for better options.

It depends all on design of the game, if the design isn't going to benefit from online then trying to add it might be damaging. Not adding it to some games don't damage it though as not every game needs it and even with local only games having online or not isn't going to harm it as the local only games tend to be party games anyhow.

It's a matter of simply knowing what games work with online and what games don't, boiling back down to design.
---