Please, please explain to me how people can defend no online at this day and age

#51nilesthebravePosted 12/12/2012 2:46:33 PM
While I do agree there should have been a more ready online for launch, I'm in the camp of being pretty indifferent.

While Mario should have been online, to take full advantage of the co-op, I've also learned that playing online can be a mixed bag. If you've ever played Little Big Planet online or ever sat for half an hour in Brood War in a cold war trying to find out who didn't have allied victory checked off, you know this as well.

I think the main reason Mario wasn't online though was because of Gamepad issues(who gets it, does everyone?)

While it should have been an easy fix, I'd rather have the game at launch and have it not include online than wait a month for it with online.

Just hopefully they start adding it soon.
---
Anti-boner is a dangerous material. I isolated pure anti-boner and that is the reason why Germany has negative population growth.-Benamingaska
#52Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 12/12/2012 2:46:49 PM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...
So yes. Having online does solve the problem.

Not really because again, you are STILL having to set up times when you guys all get on and play together. And honestly if you have that much free time then you should have just a much free time to meet once a week to hang out and play a local game.

Are you serious?

Listen, some of my friends are spread out throughout the country. Making time to game is not the issue. We can always make time to play. The issue is that playing the games together is physically impossible if the game does not have online. No we are not going to get on flights once a week and meetup just because nintendo wont put online in some of their games.

Having online allows us to play together. So yes it solves this issue. This is a point you really can not argue.
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://i46.tinypic.com/b83ehv.gif
#53MegaWinFTWPosted 12/12/2012 2:47:34 PM
Nyyark posted...
MegaWinFTW posted...
There is no defending it. The simple truth is that if a game is multiplayer centric then to omit any online options and only offer local is just plain stupid.

However a disturbingly large proportion of this board seem to think that it's totally impossible to continue liking Nintendo products while also admitting their faults. This is a glaring and undeniable problem and just goes to show that Nintendo still doesn't "get" online at all, however the more their fanbase makes excuses the less inclined Nintendo will be to actually improve.

Someone in this topic even said that the demographic for online multiplayer was small, what kind of rock do you have to be living under to honestly think that?

Show me where a console party game/mini game compilation has a large online multiplayer demographic then.

"online multiplayer" by itself cannot be a demographic, I hope you can understand why.

Show me a console party game/mini game compilation from the last generation that has any sort of demographic outside of Nintendo Land and Mario Party which both only lacked online multiplayer because of Nintendo's resistance to it.

Online multiplayer has become huge over the last 5 years, if you think there wouldn't be anything to be gained from just allowing the option for games that are multiplayer centric then you're either blind or lying to yourself. Does letting people who can't play it locally actually have the ability to enjoy the multiplayer upset you that much?
#54Solid_SOAPPosted 12/12/2012 2:49:42 PM
Baha05 posted...
Not really because again, you are STILL having to set up times when you guys all get on and play together. And honestly if you have that much free time then you should have just a much free time to meet once a week to hang out and play a local game.

Not really. I personally don't care about online gaming and am happy to see Nintendo push local multiplayer in an industry that's obsessed with playing with faceless people, but not including it in their games really has no excuse. It'd be very easy to set up a quick game to play online. How hard would is it to throw your buddy a text "Up for a quick game of CoD 11 2nite?" and for him/her to respond saying yes or no, you to play for an hour or so, then go to bed?

It's a very different experience than having someone make their way to your house, use gas and time (Lets say a 10-20 minute commute each way), etc.
#55Baha05Posted 12/12/2012 2:53:22 PM(edited)
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...
Are you serious?

Listen, some of my friends are spread out throughout the country. Making time to game is not the issue. We can always make time to play. The issue is that playing the games together is physically impossible if the game does not have online. No we are not going to get on flights once a week and meetup just because nintendo wont put online in some of their games.

Having online allows us to play together. So yes it solves this issue. This is a point you really can not argue.

But the fact of the matter is

YOU

STILL

NEED

TO

SCHEDULE

TIME

TO

PLAY

WITH

EACH

OTHER

Even if you can't be physically together to play games you would all still need to find time to play games if you and your friends have busy lives. So again the issue isn't solved, at best it's just made a bit easier to deal with.

Solid_SOAP posted...
Not really. I personally don't care about online gaming and am happy to see Nintendo push local multiplayer in an industry that's obsessed with playing with faceless people, but not including it in their games really has no excuse. It'd be very easy to set up a quick game to play online. How hard would is it to throw your buddy a text "Up for a quick game of CoD 11 2nite?" and for him/her to respond saying yes or no, you to play for an hour or so, then go to bed?

It's a very different experience than having someone make their way to your house, use gas and time (Lets say a 10-20 minute commute each way), etc.

And yeah really, maybe if you have one buddy but more then one and with busy lives it'll get hard to find the time to game together. Besides when you bring a larger group of friends to play a game chances are they aren't going over just to game.
---
"LOL fail, SMG and GTA5 aren't even from the same decade. gj." - War_Fail
#56MegaWinFTWPosted 12/12/2012 2:54:10 PM
Baha05 posted...
MegaWinFTW posted...
So, with the bolded part in mind, why exactly shouldn't there be any online options offered at all? You don't have to have a personal need for them to acknowledge that they should have been there, you are allowed to disagree with the choices Nintendo makes when they're stupid ones.

Not offering it does damage the game too, online multiplayer is not a new thing, in the eyes of many it is almost considered a necessity particularly if the game already offers local multiplayer. Also, once again, it would greatly improve the enjoyment of the game for those (and there are many) who don't have the option of playing locally regularly.

There aren't many games that only offer local multiplayer, true, but that's because both Sony and Microsoft have fully embraced the online space which was primarily due to overwhelming interest from the consumers. The issue here is that Nintendo are still resistant to it despite numerous claims that they would finally do so. When something like NSMB doesn't have online when it's such an obvious thing to do then there's clearly a problem. I honestly don't get why so many people are willing to make flimsy excuses rather than ask for better options.

It depends all on design of the game, if the design isn't going to benefit from online then trying to add it might be damaging. Not adding it to some games don't damage it though as not every game needs it and even with local only games having online or not isn't going to harm it as the local only games tend to be party games anyhow.

It's a matter of simply knowing what games work with online and what games don't, boiling back down to design.

How could it be damaging though? Would giving the option of online multiplayer remove the ability to play it locally? You would have the exact same game except more people would be able to have more fun with it, I'm failing to see the issue here.

I agree that not every game needs online multiplayer and it could potentially be to the detriment of the game but that only applies to primarily single player titles. For games like Nintendo Land or NSMB that are designed to be played by multiple people then all that is needed is to take the already existing multiplayer and allow it to be done online greatly expanding the appeal the game provides; people who don't need it can ignore it and those who do can actually enjoy it, who loses out here?
#57Solid_SOAPPosted 12/12/2012 3:00:40 PM
Baha05 posted...
And yeah really, maybe if you have one buddy but more then one and with busy lives it'll get hard to find the time to game together.

Chances are that, if these are your good friends, you know what the majority of their schedules are. Sometimes things get in the way but for the most part, if you have a job, are in school, etc, you get up and out of the house at one time, and are home by another, and this largely doesn't change without rare and varying circumstances for one or two people every once in a while. And thus, it shouldn't be too hard to coordinate one or two nights a week where you can play online for an hour or two with these people, if not the majority of the week.

Besides when you bring a larger group of friends to play a game chances are they aren't going over just to game.

Which proves another point of mine, who the hell is gonna go over someone's house to play a video game for less than two hours and call it a night? No one has time for that, that's what makes online gaming so convenient, it allows you to play with your friends more often than you would under the circumstances of them having to haul their ass over to your house, which wastes time, gas, and money.
#58Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 12/12/2012 3:06:47 PM(edited)
YOU

STILL

NEED

TO

SCHEDULE

TIME

TO

PLAY

WITH

EACH

OTHER

Even if you can't be physically together to play games you would all still need to find time to play games if you and your friends have busy lives. So again the issue isn't solved, at best it's just made a bit easier to deal with

And like I said

THIS IS EASY, AND NOT AN ISSUE.

You also need hands, a brain, a television, eyeballs. None of these are an issue, so you continuously bringing it up is pointless.

I repeat for the 100th time. Me and my friends do not have this issue. The only issue that we have is being able to play together and this is what online solves.

Without online it would not be possible. With online it is possible. What part of this do you not understand????

Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...
Because some people actually have friends in real life to play them with.

Yes. Little high schoolers with no jobs and no friends more than 2 miles away from them. When you are older you will see that not all of your friends are going to be living down the street.

However having them over at your place and playing Nintendo land is a great thing to do once a week.

Indeed. But that is not always possible, online would solve this problem.

This was the original post which you quoted.

I said that local does not work so well all the time because not all of your friends are going to live 2 miles away

He clearly says having them over to play nintedno land is great.

I clearly say this is not possible (due to my friends living very far away as I explained to you)

So the only possible way to play is to do it online. Problem solved.

You then chime in claiming the problem is not solved.

No where does anybody mention an issue about setting up times to play because that is not an issue for me. Thanks to online I am able to play a game with my friends that otherwise would have been impossible. Issue solved.

Don't join in on conversations if you do not know what they are about.
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
#59Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 12/12/2012 3:05:03 PM
Baha05 posted...
And yeah really, maybe if you have one buddy but more then one and with busy lives it'll get hard to find the time to game together.

Chances are that, if these are your good friends, you know what the majority of their schedules are. Sometimes things get in the way but for the most part, if you have a job, are in school, etc, you get up and out of the house at one time, and are home by another, and this largely doesn't change without rare and varying circumstances for one or two people every once in a while. And thus, it shouldn't be too hard to coordinate one or two nights a week where you can play online for an hour or two with these people, if not the majority of the week.

Preach.
---
#60Baha05Posted 12/12/2012 3:05:23 PM
MegaWinFTW posted...
How could it be damaging though? Would giving the option of online multiplayer remove the ability to play it locally? You would have the exact same game except more people would be able to have more fun with it, I'm failing to see the issue here.

I agree that not every game needs online multiplayer and it could potentially be to the detriment of the game but that only applies to primarily single player titles. For games like Nintendo Land or NSMB that are designed to be played by multiple people then all that is needed is to take the already existing multiplayer and allow it to be done online greatly expanding the appeal the game provides; people who don't need it can ignore it and those who do can actually enjoy it, who loses out here?

Development time and costs for one, two figuring out if the other players would use the Game Pad or WiiMote, not to mention issues with online gaming could be present. Like people dropping out of games or lag, etc. A number of things could damage the game with online, at the same time for other games no having online can be damaging too, it's just Nintendo Land really isn't one of those games that can really get damaged by either, it just sits in the middle, adding online doesn't hurt it but it wouldn't really benefit it either and not having it wouldn't really hurt either outside people that have no friends to play with.
---
"LOL fail, SMG and GTA5 aren't even from the same decade. gj." - War_Fail