Theres nothing I hate more than people blinded by nostalgia

#241atma6Posted 12/13/2012 10:17:28 AM
Dartpaw86 posted...
atma6 posted...
Dartpaw86 posted...
If I prefer Super Metroid over Metroid other M, it can't be because the game is better in every aspect... "I'm just blinded by Nostalgia!!!" You know if we say older games are better, we usually have a good reason for it aside from "Because it's older"

Final Fantasy 13 was crap, not because it's newer, but because it's crap.
Final Fantasy 7 was better because the series was at it's peak. The same with Ocarina of Time.

Oh but it can't be because some newer games suck, we're all just "Blinded by Nostalgia" someday we'll all realize how awesome Metroid Other M, Skyward Sword, Duke Nukem Forever etc... are. We'll realize that all games ever made before 2000 we only had delusions they were good.... those new games are what's really awesome!! How blinded I was...

Yes, because dismissing games as crap and using words such as "peak" aren't going to flag you for relying on nostalgia. Don't like FFXIII? Good for you, but if you want to argue that you aren't guided by nostalgia, blanket statements about how a series peaked right where you like it, may not be the best thing to do.

Saying at it's peak, I meant that was when the series itself really took off. I like 7 because it was naturally good, though I prefer 6 and 4.
I admit I was vague but not that much, I was mostly attempting sarcasm there.

Ok, that makes sense. I was interpreting peak not as when the series hit the mainstream, but when the series hit its high point with the inference that everything after that game has been worse.
---
Mistranslations for the Modern Gamer
http://mistranslationformg.blogspot.com/
#242Dartpaw86Posted 12/13/2012 10:20:11 AM
atma6 posted...
Dartpaw86 posted...
atma6 posted...
Dartpaw86 posted...
If I prefer Super Metroid over Metroid other M, it can't be because the game is better in every aspect... "I'm just blinded by Nostalgia!!!" You know if we say older games are better, we usually have a good reason for it aside from "Because it's older"

Final Fantasy 7 was better because the series was at it's peak. The same with Ocarina of Time.

Oh but it can't be because some newer games suck, we're all just "Blinded by Nostalgia" someday we'll all realize how awesome Metroid Other M, Skyward Sword, Duke Nukem Forever etc... are. We'll realize that all games ever made before 2000 we only had delusions they were good.... those new games are what's really awesome!! How blinded I was...

Yes, because dismissing games as crap and using words such as "peak" aren't going to flag you for relying on nostalgia. Don't like FFXIII? Good for you, but if you want to argue that you aren't guided by nostalgia, blanket statements about how a series peaked right where you like it, may not be the best thing to do.

Saying at it's peak, I meant that was when the series itself really took off. I like 7 because it was naturally good, though I prefer 6 and 4.

Ok, that makes sense. I was interpreting peak not as when the series hit the mainstream, but when the series hit its high point with the inference that everything after that game has been worse.

7 was it's high point and everything after it was crap (with a few exceptions)
#243atma6Posted 12/13/2012 10:21:42 AM
Dartpaw86 posted...
atma6 posted...
Dartpaw86 posted...
atma6 posted...
Dartpaw86 posted...

7 was it's high point and everything after it was crap (with a few exceptions)

There we go. That's the kind of thing I was referring to. Thank you for posting this and being a good example.
---
Mistranslations for the Modern Gamer
http://mistranslationformg.blogspot.com/
#244PSI_IKEPosted 12/13/2012 10:32:19 AM
Rasputin77 posted...
PSI_IKE posted...
Galaxy and Galaxy 2games are way wayyyyy better than 64. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise

"Kidding yourself"? All this time, and you still don't understand how opinions work, huh?

Let's see... you're probably around 16 or 17, so give it a few more years.

Except I'm just stating my opinion as well. I fail to see how anyone could like SM64 more than the Galaxy games, due to how bad SM64 is and how it contains no platforming at all.

I understand very well how opinions work. I dont think you do though, so keep wallowing in your hypocrisy
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4vCEHpv6Hg&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BOw6QPt1-g
#245Great_Pudding_3Posted 12/13/2012 10:34:37 AM
PSI_IKE posted...
how bad SM64 is and how it contains no platforming at all.

Huh...?
---
Stu, what are you doing?
#246Semi45aPosted 12/13/2012 10:35:06 AM
Chrono Trigger is better than Final Fantasy XIII-2

people, blinded by nostalgia!
---
The only Vita games really worth getting: Gravity Rush & P4G
Being unable to detect sarcasm and lies might be an early way to catch dementia
#247ianthegamerPosted 12/13/2012 10:36:35 AM
hmm crap? I loved 8. I liked it better than 7. I loved 6. I loved 4. I like 2 as well. I hated 9, didn't feel like or dislike for 10 and gave up after the release of X-2.

I am one of many that believe that final fantasy 7 only got high marks due to it being one of the first polygonal RPGS and becoming mainstream. They didn't do anything new with the story that hasn't happened before.

You could even say final fantasy 7 was the start of the downfall but every bit of that statement is opinion.

So far everything everyone said is truth... but only to those who said it. thats the beauty of opinions
---
"Nobody cares about SKN or King of Fighters anymore. Go play Art of Fighting or SvC Chaos 29.99 ONLI and get lose."-GWEndlessDuel
#248emagdnEPosted 12/13/2012 10:37:16 AM
"SMW is better than NSMBWiiU"

true, SMW didn't recycle SMB3's sprites, music, animations, etc., it did everything on its own, unlike NSMBU which recycles heavily from NSMBWii

"Super Metroid is better than Prime"

hmm..... now that's a pretty hard one....

"Ocarina of time is better than Skyward Sword'

what are you smoking? this one is definitely true, SUCKward Sword is dumbed down Zelda with horrible controls

"Final Fantasy Vii is better than FF XIII"

yeah.... now THAT one is false, FF7 is the worst movie ever, and I seriously doubt that will ever change

why even bring ****ty interactive movies into this? we're talking about video games here

"SM64 is better than Galaxy 2"

SM64 was revolutionary and built from the ground up, SMG2 is just leftover stages they didn't use in SMG1 and some horrible new stages (lolBattle Belt Galaxy), so yeah, SM64 wins this one

now, if you made this about SM64 vs SMG1, then you would have been on to something, but no, you had to go with SMG's inferior quick cash-in sequel, so you basically shot yourself in the foot

YOU make ME sick, graphics are better than they used to be? so what? gameplay and game design is what matters in the end

and if you think Nintendo under Iwata's leadership is giving us superior gameplay and game design than what Nintendo gave before he ruined everything, and have to call everyone who knows better a "nostalgia whore".....
---
I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy... All right, give me the bomb. -Ultra Magnus
#249SorsShinjoPosted 12/13/2012 10:39:51 AM
PSI_IKE posted...
Rasputin77 posted...
PSI_IKE posted...
Galaxy and Galaxy 2games are way wayyyyy better than 64. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise

"Kidding yourself"? All this time, and you still don't understand how opinions work, huh?

Let's see... you're probably around 16 or 17, so give it a few more years.

Except I'm just stating my opinion as well. I fail to see how anyone could like SM64 more than the Galaxy games, due to how bad SM64 is and how it contains no platforming at all.

I understand very well how opinions work. I dont think you do though, so keep wallowing in your hypocrisy

sure you played SM64?

but anyway i will enlight you about how people can like SM64 better:
-less linear level design
-more movement options
-less recycling
-more divers level themes
---
If you feel scammed by a company but don't want to stop playing their games: Buy them used, it's the smart gamer's boycott method
#250LoregiverPosted 12/13/2012 10:40:04 AM
As a person who has been a gamer for many years, I have seen the best and worst of both old and new.

I do feel that way too much importance is placed on how a game looks over how it plays.
Sure, nice graphic and lighting effects etc. can be great for immersion IF it has the gameplay to back those elements up.

I feel it all starts with gameplay. Story is important too of course, but even the worst story ever written can sometimes be overlooked if the product has solid gameplay.

Been playing some of my older games of late; Chrono Cross, FFVII, Ocarina of Time, as well as some newer releases. Xenoblade Chronicles, Borderlands 2, Skyrim.

And I am enjoying them all, because they all have solid gameplay.

We all have our reasons for enjoying the games we do. Beauty is where you find it.