Theres nothing I hate more than people blinded by nostalgia

#331PeteyParkerPosted 12/13/2012 5:18:19 PM
NoJobBob posted...
"SMW is better than NSMBWiiU"

"Super Metroid is better than Prime"

"Ocarina of time is better than Skyward Sword'

"Final Fantasy Vii is better than FF XIII"(different system. same thing though)

"SM64 is better than Galaxy 2"

It just makes me sick. The mechanics and graphics are so much better today than they used to be.

All of those things are true though and I don't even particularly care for FFVII (it doesn't hold a candle to FFVI)
---
"How can.. the Prime minister.. support a law.. that makes it illegal for people.. who....What I'm trying to say is.. Oasis rules!"
#332RAPTall1Posted 12/13/2012 5:22:38 PM
Lol at graphics being a main reason why games are better.

Graphics don't mean anything if the game doesn't have substance and depth. (Yes there are games that have both these and the graphics of today, but there are more games than I could name that pretend to be good just because their graphics are pretty to look at).
---
SS FC: 3653-5956-7380
White FC: 0346-8581-1315
#333PSI_IKEPosted 12/13/2012 5:29:03 PM
AXKSION posted...
so sad when little kids think that just because something is new it's better.

so what about all the hipster music these days and dubstep? what about all the sucky movies coming out of Hollywood these days?

hey Django Unchained is awesome

And anyway new things aren't necessarily better and neither are old things. Age in general shouldn't determine anything in deciding the quality of a game
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4vCEHpv6Hg&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BOw6QPt1-g
#334Andrew21044Posted 12/13/2012 5:39:38 PM
TalentedM posted...
Hate is such a strong word. But people should have their own opinions, sometimes you just have to show them their opinions are wrong.

But that's just it...opinion...why is that so hard to understand? It isn't as if people are passing it off as fact.
---
P0371C M4573RM1ND
http://i49.tinypic.com/2gtp63s.gif
#335Yo_Yo_CheesePosted 12/13/2012 5:40:17 PM
NoJobBob posted...

It just makes me sick. The mechanics and graphics are so much better today than they used to be.

For me, older isn't always better, but newer isn't either. It depends on the game itself.

Mario 2D: These games just got better as they went along, although I haven't played NSMB2 or NSMBU yet.

Metroid: Prime 1 = Prime 2 > Fusion > Prime 3 > Other M

Zelda: SS > WW > OoS > ST > TP > OoT > ALttP > AoL > LoZ > PH

Final Fantasy: VII > IX > VIII > XII > V = VI > IV > X > XIII > III

Mario 3D: 64 > Sunshine > Galaxy 2 > Galaxy

I left off the games I haven't played. I have LoZ:MM, LoZ:OoA, and SM3DL but haven't played them yet. I've played the original Metroid and Super Metroid, but I haven't finished either.
---
Mains: GG: Chipp | BB: Tager | AH3: Catherine | SG: Cerebella \ Valentine
Subs: GG: Robo-Ky, Sol | BB: Jin, Platinum | AH3: Eko, Lilica
#336raymanfan1Posted 12/13/2012 5:55:15 PM
NoJobBob posted...
"

This one is acceptable to me, as they are pretty much unrelated in terms of gameplay, apart from the non-linearity.
---
Do others before they do you.
#337KotomineKireiPosted 12/13/2012 7:12:04 PM
NoJobBob posted...
There is nothing I hate more than people blinded by nostalgia

The feeling of the atmosphere and different(in some cases perceived as better and some really better) gameplay mechanics in those games made them shine.

It's not even nostalgia.

I've played older generation games like the ones you've mentioned not too long ago, and some of them are by far better than their sequels.

Some things are just better regardless of time, nostalgia, and opinion, and will always be more liked over future installments unless they catch the same thing that made their predecessors great and popular.
---
"EVENT ENDED!"
---
#338DraykonPosted 12/13/2012 7:16:10 PM

You might wanna strike out that one. FFXIII isn't just worse than FFVII. FFXIII is just bad. Period. It is a mediocre rpg. But a TERRIBLE Final Fantasy game.

Other than that, I can understand what you are saying.
---
"So...yeah....and stay dead." - Raven from Tales of Vesperia
(PSN: TheDraykon GT: Draykon)
#339CBZ652Posted 12/13/2012 7:16:23 PM
There's nothing I hate more than people blinded by hate of people with nostalgia."
---
A candle loses nothing by lighting another
#340SeyalPosted 12/13/2012 7:24:00 PM
NoJobBob posted...

FF1 is better than all of them because you can actually make your own party. :P

But..if it's a different system...how is it because of nostalgia and not because...someone likes one system better than the other? Doesn't make sense.

And graphics are likely better - mechanics is a different thing. To me, a game's mechanics refers to it's ruleset, system, play control, things to do, overall objective, and how the games "subsystems" play out (combat system, map system, how the two are linked, etc - like RTK 9 did away with the battle map, but RTK4 had the strategic map and the tactical battle map - two different mechanics, one is not necessarily better than the other).
---
O Almighty watch over your servant as she struts her stuff! - Nun/Dancer at Gleeba