Theres nothing I hate more than people blinded by nostalgia

#341SkyCrackersPosted 12/13/2012 6:32:37 PM
NoJobBob posted...
"SMW is better than NSMBWiiU"

"Super Metroid is better than Prime"

"Ocarina of time is better than Skyward Sword'

"Final Fantasy Vii is better than FF XIII"(different system. same thing though)

"SM64 is better than Galaxy 2"

It just makes me sick. The mechanics and graphics are so much better today than they used to be.

In many of those comparisons, the modern game wins out. But that doesn't automatically mean anyone who prefers an older game to a modern one is blinded by nostalgia. Despite being aged in the graphics department, a lot of SNES and N64-era games had an incredible level of polish, and extremely masterful game design that's very difficult to match-even with the aid of modern technology. Great design is great design, period. Super Metroid is a fantastic example of this, being one of the only games that I think is truly timeless. It hasn't lost any of its luster over the years, and that's because the the design foundations it's built on are incredibly solid.

Yes, modern games have made massive leaps in storytelling, size, detail, immersion, graphics, freedom, and countless other areas, but none of those things are necessary to create an extremely fun game when you have a brilliant designer at the helm.
---
Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a hideously underrated game.
#342BruceWayneJrPosted 12/13/2012 6:47:56 PM
It's the extreme "this or that" attitude that is destroying criticism and, quite frankly, critical thinking. You're allowed to like old games along with new games; I'm not beholden to one or the other and neither should you be.
#343Vegeta1000Posted 12/13/2012 7:35:50 PM
FFVI fanboys are more annoying than FFVII fanboys.
---
IT'S ME AUSTIN!!!!!
#344BuretsuPosted 12/13/2012 7:37:17 PM
Vegeta1000 posted...
FFVI fanboys are more annoying than FFVII fanboys.

That comes with the aura of smug superiority they get from liking the better game.
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#345Virtue777Posted 12/13/2012 7:51:26 PM
chitowndoc posted...
Buretsu posted...
NoJobBob posted...

It just makes me sick. The mechanics and graphics are so much better today than they used to be.

Ocarina is better, but that's not fair, because Skyward Sword sucked.

Final Fantasy VI was better than either of those.

The others are a matter of opinion, so meh.

Skyward Sword sucks? Way to lose any videogame cred you might have.

And to the OP: Final Fantasy 13 was friggin terrible. FF7 far superior. Otherwise i agree with your choices.

Skyward Sword is pretty mediocre. One of the worst Zelda games in the franchise, and I loved the motion controls.
---
Coolest guy/gal on the planet: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
#346AXKSIONPosted 12/13/2012 8:01:55 PM
Virtue777 posted...
chitowndoc posted...
Buretsu posted...
NoJobBob posted...

Ocarina is better, but that's not fair, because Skyward Sword sucked.

Final Fantasy VI was better than either of those.

The others are a matter of opinion, so meh.

Skyward Sword sucks? Way to lose any videogame cred you might have.

And to the OP: Final Fantasy 13 was friggin terrible. FF7 far superior. Otherwise i agree with your choices.

Skyward Sword is pretty mediocre. One of the worst Zelda games in the franchise, and I loved the motion controls.

This.

Skyward Sword sucks so much. So casual and watered down and linear and awful motion controls. Awful characters too.
---
http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s574/akxsion/Nintendo.png http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s574/akxsion/SMRPG.jpg
#347Vegeta1000Posted 12/13/2012 8:11:37 PM
That comes with the aura of smug superiority they get from liking the better game.

Opinion. FFVII imo opinion is a better game. FFVI is a great game, but I didn't like the inconsistent difficulty during the second-half of the game and that half of the characters in the party were just they to take up space. FFVI fanboys annoy me because they go out of their way to attack FFVII and other FF games (mostly post FFVI games except FFIX). All of the FF games were good in its own way. Well, at least until FFXIII.
---
IT'S ME AUSTIN!!!!!
#348Virtue777Posted 12/13/2012 8:12:52 PM
I just thought Skyward Sword was repetitive and boring. I actually enjoyed the motion controls and combat, though I still would have preferred a normal controller. Skyward Sword forces the player to do a lot of things that I just don't think most Zelda fans, or gamers in general, want to do.

Let's talk about some examples.

Would you really want to collect some music notes? Because Skyward Sword forces this segment on the player, there's no way around it. It's not like it's optional content placed there to entertain bored players looking to extrapolate more time out of the game. To even progress the story, you have to search every nook and cranny for these music notes as if you're playing Banjo Kazooie, except unlike Banjo Kazooie the game isn't designed for that sort of platforming and collecting. It's designed to be a Zelda game. An adventure game with emphasis on puzzle solving, action, and story. So the whole segment comes off as a chore, as the game was not designed with Banjo Kazooie style activities in mind.

Do you really want to lose all of your items then have to find them again? That's not fun at all. That's boring, it's more work and it doesn't feel epic at all. What about the silent zones or whatever they were called, where you had to run around collecting stuff without being seen my monsters that instantly kill you if they touch you?

See all of this stuff is so frequent and annoying in Skyward Sword, that the whole game comes off as overambitious and boring. It's a 20 hour game with 20 more hours lopped on top of it that don't really belong there. Most Zelda games have a couple annoying parts, but Skyward Sword takes the cake in this department. Having to go through a dungeon you've already completed? Check. Multiple segments of gameplay that do not match or meld within the adventure genre? Check. Reappearances of multiple bosses that you've already defeated? Check.

As a game, it's not terrible. But for Zelda standards it's pretty unacceptable.
---
Coolest guy/gal on the planet: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=2426382
#349banjo kazooiePosted 12/13/2012 8:35:47 PM(edited)
Razed812 posted...
There are some people who are simply blinded by nostalgia, eg. Pokemon Gen 1 purists.

But there are sometimes where the older game is simply better. Newer doesn't always equal better, especially in games.

This.
B2/W2 > R/B.
Metroid Prime = Super Metroid = Zero Mission >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Other M.
OOT > SS.
SMW > NSMB series.
Galaxy 2 > SM64.
---
*(int *)nullptr = 0;
http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/
#350StealthlysPosted 12/13/2012 8:53:02 PM(edited)
NoJobBob posted...
But fallout 3 IS much better than fallout 2...

Nope the correct term would be. Fallout NV>the rest.
People actually have a legitimate reason to hate fallout 3. Fallout 3 pretty much sh*t on fallout1+2, including the story. Atleast Obsidian did it right.

Sh*t=they made into sh*t, and disregard lore. Then the main-plot, it's a fallout 1+2 wannabe. You go to find dad, then purify water, stop the mutants, stop the enclave twice.

Look the BoS traveled from California with the bear incharge, all the way to Washington DC. They really didn't need to add the BoS.

Look its logical that the enclave are located D.C, but the BoS no.

Other locations with enclave: Chicago.