The last couple years for video games has been absolutely atrocious

#11DiscostewSMPosted 12/13/2012 12:12:13 PM
In the case of Blizzard, I do kinda agree with you. Diablo III was meant to be a really extraordinary game, but in the end, they ruined it. Look at the old Barb trailer vs the game now, and you'll see. Taking a note of a game you didn't list, there is WoW. A great game when it was first released, but now......
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#12Elements012894Posted 12/13/2012 12:13:59 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#13ssjmolePosted 12/13/2012 12:15:26 PM
Portal 2 was great!
---
*Gets on his knees and worships Beth Phoenix*
Wrestling,TV,Movie.games and much more reviewed and discussed here : http://xpound.proboards.com/
#14DinglesteedPosted 12/13/2012 12:19:19 PM(edited)
I agree. I remember the days when you bought a game and you got all it's content for free....and immediately.

Now, you have to buy the $60 game, take it home, patch release day fixes, maybe input some crap preorder bonus if you did that, activate the online pass (lolEA) and then play. Then 2 weeks later they release this big patch that will cost $15 that wasn't ready when the game shipped (lol yeah ok).

DLC and incomplete games are a disgrace, but what else can we do? Only thing to do is not buy it, which I rarely do.

Is it too much to ask for a complete game with everything included???

Edit: Getting nickle and dime'd when we already pay $60 sucks.
---
Playing: NSMBU, CoD: BO2, Zombi U, BF3, WoW, EVE Online, NHL 13
http://www.lowbird.com/data/images/2012/08/imgur-dofor.jpg
#15bronze4v4pro(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2012 12:33:18 PM
Dinglesteed, I 100% agree. My point on unfinished games and dlc is not really a knock on devs or publishers, but on video game players. Companies are going to keep doing this over and over and eventually it will be so ridiculous that they charge real life money for somebody to load their gun in a shooter or "fuel up" their car in a racing game.

Its going to happen. Its going to be this ridiculous people video game players are going to buy anything and everything companies wave in their faces.
#16Baha05Posted 12/13/2012 12:37:16 PM
Dinglesteed posted...
I agree. I remember the days when you bought a game and you got all it's content for free....and immediately.

Now, you have to buy the $60 game, take it home, patch release day fixes, maybe input some crap preorder bonus if you did that, activate the online pass (lolEA) and then play. Then 2 weeks later they release this big patch that will cost $15 that wasn't ready when the game shipped (lol yeah ok).

DLC and incomplete games are a disgrace, but what else can we do? Only thing to do is not buy it, which I rarely do.

The thing was though back in the day you had less content then you do now. Not to mention if the game was buggy as all hell no patch.

For the most part DLC is a good thing, it can expand on games. Things like Online Passes or on disc DLC is about the worst thing with DLC but that's within certain developers and publishes. Most DLC is pretty much extra stuff that wasn't taken from the game and most vanilla games you can put countless hours into them depending on what it is.

The idea of an incomplete game should also be gotten rid of as it's a stupid term coined up by cheapskates and people thatthink that because a game has DLC that must mean the game is "Incomplete"
---
"LOL fail, SMG and GTA5 aren't even from the same decade. gj." - War_Fail
#17SorsShinjoPosted 12/13/2012 12:40:27 PM
@TC

while i completely agree with you on every point you mention, not everything has been bad:

-rise of indie developers, with great help from steam/xboxlive brought loads of highly creative well made games for low prices around

-rise of the bundles: i've never seen so many quality gaming hours for so few money

-movement towards linux: while nothing big in itself as of yet, this movement will bring more freedom to devs and gamers and also provides the games with more power since the linux as OS is really easy on cpu and ram contrary to usual desktop OSs

-digital distribution everywhere: while not everyone is a fan of it, its quality (speed, support, selection, ...) rose tremendously

-shovelware backlash: while many will deny this, the wii has proven that the casuals as target audience hurts gamesales very much, and as such we can expect at least one of MS or Sony to bring a console targetet at gamers next gen
---
If you feel scammed by a company but don't want to stop playing their games: Buy them used, it's the smart gamer's boycott method
#18DinglesteedPosted 12/13/2012 12:40:59 PM
bronze4v4pro posted...
Dinglesteed, I 100% agree. My point on unfinished games and dlc is not really a knock on devs or publishers, but on video game players. Companies are going to keep doing this over and over and eventually it will be so ridiculous that they charge real life money for somebody to load their gun in a shooter or "fuel up" their car in a racing game.

Its going to happen. Its going to be this ridiculous people video game players are going to buy anything and everything companies wave in their faces.

I wouldn't go as far to say it will get that bad, but it is a bit ridiculous to have "Add On packs" come out within 2-3 months of a games release. At that point it's pretty obvious they had it ready and are just waiting to cash in even more.
---
#19DinglesteedPosted 12/13/2012 12:45:33 PM
Baha05 posted...
Dinglesteed posted...

The thing was though back in the day you had less content then you do now. Not to mention if the game was buggy as all hell no patch.

For the most part DLC is a good thing, it can expand on games. Things like Online Passes or on disc DLC is about the worst thing with DLC but that's within certain developers and publishes. Most DLC is pretty much extra stuff that wasn't taken from the game and most vanilla games you can put countless hours into them depending on what it is.

The idea of an incomplete game should also be gotten rid of as it's a stupid term coined up by cheapskates and people thatthink that because a game has DLC that must mean the game is "Incomplete"

By incomplete games I meant games that are released that immediately require a patch in order to play.

At my job if I sold a product to somebody and then as soon as they get it home I already had to "patch/fix" it, that product was incomplete and broken. I also wouldn't have that job/store too long before it went under. How video game dev's pulled it off is quite amazing...
---
#20Baha05Posted 12/13/2012 12:48:19 PM
Dinglesteed posted...
By incomplete games I meant games that are released that immediately require a patch in order to play.

At my job if I sold a product to somebody and then as soon as they get it home I already had to "patch/fix" it, that product was incomplete and broken. I also wouldn't have that job/store too long before it went under. How video game dev's pulled it off is quite amazing...

Could be more a simple counter method of breaking street dates too though, but reall it's not some huge glaring issue, at some point the game would have to be patched for some reason (Damn beta testers)

Most games are almost always broken to some extent, fact we can patch them now has done wonders to the industry. Hell with that logic then programmers in general should have gone out of business long ago with patches, updates, etc.
---
"LOL fail, SMG and GTA5 aren't even from the same decade. gj." - War_Fail