How many titles actually sell a million plus units in a given year?

#101darkjedilinkPosted 12/13/2012 10:01:08 PM
nilesthebrave posted...
I don't want to read this whole topic to see if this has been said but...

If Gamestop was REALLY hurting the developers/publishers, then why oh why do you always see "Pre-order now and get this exclusive gun with a naked chick on the side" or various other special thing you get for preordering from Gamestop?

Gamestop doesn't make those bonuses, the developers make a deal with Gamestop to give those bonuses. If a company is hurting you so much that you're going out of business, you wouldn't deal with them in any way shape or form. I don't know why that isn't obvious.

They do it because, as much as GS is hurting them via used sales, they ARE game sales. Slight GS via no pre-order bonuses, and GS will slight back via restriction of shelf space or even withholding of pre-orders.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#102Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/13/2012 10:01:57 PM
FayeLady posted...
Personally, I'd much rather support gamestop who is bring jobs and a place to shop for games into my community, than publishers like Activision that if not for gamestop would charge even more money for a new game.

10, 5, or even 1 dollar off a game that works the same way once its in the console is a welcome savings to me. In fact, even my Wii U was bought used.

Right, support a company that offers minimum wage jobs or go completely digital, creating more jobs for those that went to college and now are seeking jobs in a specified field.
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#103FayeLadyPosted 12/13/2012 10:02:35 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

You never own a game.

You own a license to play the game.

The disc is just a medium to deliver that right to you

I may never own a painting or book either, but owning the medium that it is stored on is enough of a safety to allow me to resell it if I wish.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#104FayeLadyPosted 12/13/2012 10:04:53 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

Right, support a company that offers minimum wage jobs or go completely digital, creating more jobs for those that went to college and now are seeking jobs in a specified field.

Considering how many minimum wage jobs Activision has bought to my community, my choice is clear. Gamestop has their show of anti consumer practices, but next to some of the game companies they are saints.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#105shadestreetPosted 12/13/2012 10:08:55 PM
With the publishers losing money, pretty much all of them. You'll not have to worry about it when none is making any games other than Indie Developers, hope you like those games
Not saying the reselling is the reason for it but it does cut into their money.

Remember when Konami, Square, Nintendo, Capcom, and EA went out of business in 1989 because people were buying used games? Neither do I.
#106Reznik00Posted 12/13/2012 10:19:18 PM
This is baffling...

If GS gets 50 new copies and all 50 are sold, the dev gets that money.

If 25 of those 50 come back and get sold as used, that's 25 "new" game sales the dev lost.

How is that hard to understand? This is bigger than some midwest flea market, this is GS. Those 25 that come back are 25 that GS doesn't order again. That's where the devs get the money, from the 3rd party sellers. If everyone is going to GS to get a used copy two days after launch ( and they do), then stock is sitting on Walmart, BestBuy, Target shelves while the used copies are repeatedly getting sold.

The used game market is bigger now than ever before, which were mom and pop stores when I was growing up, and that's why devs have shut down. They had a tighter budget because of that, and their newer games were not up to par...it ALL stems back to GS and the used game market.
---
Hello Misinformed Zombie Fodder!
#107Baha05Posted 12/13/2012 10:22:36 PM
Reznik00 posted...
This is baffling...

If 25 of those 50 come back and get sold as used, that's 25 "new" game sales the dev lost.

How is that hard to understand? This is bigger than some midwest flea market, this is GS. Those 25 that come back are 25 that GS doesn't order again. That's where the devs get the money, from the 3rd party sellers. If everyone is going to GS to get a used copy two days after launch ( and they do), then stock is sitting on Walmart, BestBuy, Target shelves while the used copies are repeatedly getting sold.

The used game market is bigger now than ever before, which were mom and pop stores when I was growing up, and that's why devs have shut down. They had a tighter budget because of that, and their newer games were not up to par...it ALL stems back to GS and the used game market.

The thing is if half of those games get sold back to the store then there is a bigger issue. Again the used market does nothing to developers. If a developer goes out of business there are far bigger issues then some people buying used games. Chances are they are making poor choices in development that is bankrupting them.
---
"Gamestop will not be around in 10 years because physical games will no longer exist, it'll all be digital" Xeeh_Bitz
#108Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/13/2012 10:25:05 PM
shadestreet posted...
With the publishers losing money, pretty much all of them. You'll not have to worry about it when none is making any games other than Indie Developers, hope you like those games
Not saying the reselling is the reason for it but it does cut into their money.

Remember when Konami, Square, Nintendo, Capcom, and EA went out of business in 1989 because people were buying used games? Neither do I.

Gamestop didn't really start until 1994..

The company Babbage's started in 84 but really had no affect on the rest of the world since it was a small store in Texas..

If you look at the investor data from Gamestop, the used business continues to get bigger and bigger each year.
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#109FayeLadyPosted 12/13/2012 10:25:51 PM
Reznik00 posted...
This is baffling...

Those 25 "Lost" sales were bought at a discount from gamestop. The Publisher was paid for their 50 copies. If they make a game that is poor enough to have every other copy returned then maybe the deserver to go under?

All 25 of those games thought that game simply wasn't worth it. Blame the publisher for that, but don't blame gamestop and certainly dont blame the 25 people who bought it used, they are just being more decerning with there spending.
---
#110Reznik00Posted 12/13/2012 10:28:47 PM
Baha05 posted...
Reznik00 posted...
This is baffling...

The thing is if half of those games get sold back to the store then there is a bigger issue. Again the used market does nothing to developers. If a developer goes out of business there are far bigger issues then some people buying used games. Chances are they are making poor choices in development that is bankrupting them.

Making poor choices because they have no budget....they have no budget because of used game sales.
I work in a buyer/seller environment and when a vendor comes by wanting a sell, I point to his overstocked product on my shelf and say "sorry, everyone is getting it cheaper this way so I have no reason to purchase anymore", that makes for the quality of his product to go down eventually.

Those games being sold back is not the issue. I had "achievement whore" friends who bought a game, sold it back in a week, and bought another used game frequently. None of this was a problem until achievements came around interestingly enough, but that's the truth. Good or bad, ALL GAMES get traded in long before they should. This is why the new price comes down so much quicker now too.
---
Hello Misinformed Zombie Fodder!