How many titles actually sell a million plus units in a given year?

#31Baha05Posted 12/13/2012 7:59:12 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20022957-17.html

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/28/silicon-knights-39-denis-dyack-says-used-games-hurt-developers.aspx

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2011/05/18/fable-iii-developer-calls-used-games-market-worse-piracy

Oh boy so far you gave me two whiners about it and the developers of Fable 3, one of the biggest disappointing sequels ever.
---
"LOL fail, SMG and GTA5 aren't even from the same decade. gj." - War_Fail
#32Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/13/2012 7:59:14 PM
Used games also simply throw off the market statistics as well, as in # of copies sold.

If 25% of those copies are resold, then the total sales would be 125,000 if people did not buy used
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#33darkjedilinkPosted 12/13/2012 7:59:40 PM
Baha05 posted...
silverbullt posted...
Considering game development has become infinitely more complex over the years. It would be foolish to think that the investment needed didn't rise astronomically.

2 decades ago you had a dev studio with 3-5 people and tha was enough to pump out decent games.

1 decade ago you had studios with 15-30 people and that was enough

currently you need to feed >50 people for a dev cycle that is at least twice as long as last gen and yet the price of a new game only increased $10 bucks. You do the math...

Yeah and with a lot of games that get released on multiple consoles and some games sell a ton there is really no issue with used games on the market, again it doesn't hurt them. What hurts them is their own mistakes they make.

A new game sells at GameStop at launch for $60. Wait a day or two and they'll have a "used" copy for five bucks less. Tell me how that doesn't hurt developers.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#34Baha05Posted 12/13/2012 8:02:02 PM
darkjedilink posted...
A new game sells at GameStop at launch for $60. Wait a day or two and they'll have a "used" copy for five bucks less. Tell me how that doesn't hurt developers.

Because when they get said used copy in that means the developers made their money and if someone really sold back the game that fast it must have sucked hard. Not to mention it's rare you see anyone buy a used game so close to the original price.

Also there has always been a used market for things, but you don't see people go out of business because of the used markets.
---
#35Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/13/2012 8:02:57 PM
darkjedilink posted...
Baha05 posted...
silverbullt posted...
Considering game development has become infinitely more complex over the years. It would be foolish to think that the investment needed didn't rise astronomically.

2 decades ago you had a dev studio with 3-5 people and tha was enough to pump out decent games.

1 decade ago you had studios with 15-30 people and that was enough

currently you need to feed >50 people for a dev cycle that is at least twice as long as last gen and yet the price of a new game only increased $10 bucks. You do the math...

Yeah and with a lot of games that get released on multiple consoles and some games sell a ton there is really no issue with used games on the market, again it doesn't hurt them. What hurts them is their own mistakes they make.

10 bucks less if you sign up for the power reward thing.

Which is a no brainer, especially when Gamestop constantly has "Buy 2 used get 1 free" promos
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#36silverbulltPosted 12/13/2012 8:03:41 PM
Baha05 posted...
darkjedilink posted...

Because when they get said used copy in that means the developers made their money and if someone really sold back the game that fast it must have sucked hard. Not to mention it's rare you see anyone buy a used game so close to the original price.

Also there has always been a used market for things, but you don't see people go out of business because of the used markets.

GameStop would have long been gone if people weren't buying used games at 5% less than retail... And instead what do you have?? BEST BUY entering the used games market... yep, it's profitable one..
#37darkjedilinkPosted 12/13/2012 8:07:20 PM(edited)
Baha05 posted...
darkjedilink posted...

Maybe, if it weren't known that GameStop has used funny accounting to sell brand new games used.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#38Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/13/2012 8:05:47 PM(edited)
Baha05 posted...
darkjedilink posted...

It's rare? no it's not. Think about it, if it does not sell for that much, they would never mark the price up that much.

5 bucks is 5 bucks, especially with today's economy.
---
#39Baha05Posted 12/13/2012 8:05:28 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

Which is a no brainer, especially when Gamestop constantly has "Buy 2 used get 1 free" promos

If you have the rewards thing and still most people would just wait, fact of the matter is it's not harmful at all, some developers are either really greedy or have been making poor ass decisions by making big budget games and yet failing to make said big budget game even good, example would be Fable 3
---
#40silverbulltPosted 12/13/2012 8:08:26 PM
Baha05 posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

If you have the rewards thing and still most people would just wait, fact of the matter is it's not harmful at all, some developers are either really greedy or have been making poor ass decisions by making big budget games and yet failing to make said big budget game even good, example would be Fable 3

Lol ok, i'm really surprised this thread hasn't been trolled yet and i don't think you are trolling. Keep the chat going!

GF calling me for dinner.
peace