How many titles actually sell a million plus units in a given year?

#41Virus66Posted 12/13/2012 8:08:29 PM
Even before Gamestop, there was always a friend willing to sell a game. Or a garage sale. Or a pay-to-play game lounge (pay per hour, etc.). Gamestop is doing nothing new. You cannot say that companies are only now going out of business because of Gamestop when the practice has been around for 30+ years.

Take a look at Kingdoms of Amalur. THAT'S the reason companies go out of business. It's because they spend entirely too much money and can't make it all back.
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
Smash Bros Mains- Samus, Ness, Pit
#42Baha05Posted 12/13/2012 8:08:50 PM
silverbullt posted...
GameStop would have long been gone if people weren't buying used games at 5% less than retail... And instead what do you have?? BEST BUY entering the used games market... yep, it's profitable one..

Yeah because things like eBay, Craiglist, Amazon, Yard/Garage Sales, Flea Markets, and friends selling games to other friends don't exist do they?
---
"LOL fail, SMG and GTA5 aren't even from the same decade. gj." - War_Fail
#43Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/13/2012 8:09:44 PM
Baha05 posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
10 bucks less if you sign up for the power reward thing.

Which is a no brainer, especially when Gamestop constantly has "Buy 2 used get 1 free" promos

If you have the rewards thing and still most people would just wait, fact of the matter is it's not harmful at all, some developers are either really greedy or have been making poor ass decisions by making big budget games and yet failing to make said big budget game even good, example would be Fable 3

26% of Gamestop's total revenue is from used games

GameStop made only $952 million in profit off new products, versus $1.2 billion in gross profit from used games and accessories.

http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/111869
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#44Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/13/2012 8:14:25 PM(edited)
Baha05 posted...
silverbullt posted...
GameStop would have long been gone if people weren't buying used games at 5% less than retail... And instead what do you have?? BEST BUY entering the used games market... yep, it's profitable one..

Yeah because things like eBay, Craiglist, Amazon, Yard/Garage Sales, Flea Markets, and friends selling games to other friends don't exist do they?

who the hell buys a used game off Craigslist?

*txt* "Do you still have game?
Response "Yes, meet me at parking lot @ 5"
You *Drives to parking lot, waits 30 minutes for person to show up*

Yardsales is good for finding discontinued products but rarely anything current, Flea markets are a hit or miss not a very solid place to find what you want. So the only other two viable ones are eBay and friends, I'd personally go with friends, at least you're not supporting a company that bleeds software developers

Gamestop even tries to get you to buy a used copy instead

*Goes to counter with new copy*
Employee "We have that used, it's cheaper.. want that?"

---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#45Baha05Posted 12/13/2012 8:12:49 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

People do, again there has ALWAYS a used market for these things. You get rid of Gamestop won't stop people from selling games used.
---
"LOL fail, SMG and GTA5 aren't even from the same decade. gj." - War_Fail
#46darkjedilinkPosted 12/13/2012 8:13:26 PM
Virus66 posted...
Even before Gamestop, there was always a friend willing to sell a game. Or a garage sale. Or a pay-to-play game lounge (pay per hour, etc.). Gamestop is doing nothing new. You cannot say that companies are only now going out of business because of Gamestop when the practice has been around for 30+ years.

Take a look at Kingdoms of Amalur. THAT'S the reason companies go out of business. It's because they spend entirely too much money and can't make it all back.

Friends and garage sales don't make billions of dollars a year on used games, which is the point. GS has used greedy tactics and fuzzy accounting to take sales from developers. Anyone who can't see it is blind as a bat.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#47cloudriveraPosted 12/13/2012 8:13:48 PM
Seriously stop blaming Gamestop. If the games were good in the first place then people wouldn't be trading them in. Removing Gamestop isn't going to magically make games sell over a million copies. Some people trade games in to make their next purchase cheaper. Used games have been around forever, I don't why everyone is complaining now. I don't even buy games used, games automatically go down in price dramatically after a couple of weeks (seriously I bought Dishonored for $25 on Amazon during Black Friday). But to think the game industry is failing solely because of Gamestop is quite stupid.
---
currently playing: inFAMOUS, Halo 4
#48sejan12(Topic Creator)Posted 12/13/2012 8:15:45 PM
Generally, people trade in games to get a new game. In essence, they trade up to a new game. Black Ops 2 probably can thank the used game market for a decent sized portion of its sales to stores like Gamestop giving people other ways to buy the new game that they want. A lot of costumers probably traded a game or two to make the $60 purchase a little more easier to swallow.

Used game sales have always been around and always need to be around. At times, the only way it is even possible to buy some games (even in the current generation) is to buy them used. Developers desperately need to rethink their strategy when it comes to sales. Some games simply will never hit 500,000 sales let alone a million, but these games are important to the people that enjoy them.

If the used game market were banished, it would severely damage the new game market as well.

If companies have a problem competing with used games, then they need to change their tactics. Rather than complain, they need to make their game worth owning new. Offer new game purchase bonuses. Reward me for buying the game new, but <u>do not</u> punish me for buying it used. I will not buy a new game from a company that sells a gimped game that must be unlocked via a one time use code. There is a significant difference between a one time use code that unlocks a bonus and a game that is half locked-down without the use of a one time use code.
#49Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/13/2012 8:16:21 PM
Baha05 posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

People do, again there has ALWAYS a used market for these things. You get rid of Gamestop won't stop people from selling games used.

I'm sure they do as I see adds there all the time for people trying to sell used games. Just too much hassle for 1 game, maybe a lot of games but one game is not worth like 1-2 hours of time for a $10 used savings
---
#50silverbulltPosted 12/13/2012 8:17:05 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]