How many titles actually sell a million plus units in a given year?

#51Baha05Posted 12/13/2012 8:17:30 PM
darkjedilink posted...
Friends and garage sales don't make billions of dollars a year on used games, which is the point. GS has used greedy tactics and fuzzy accounting to take sales from developers. Anyone who can't see it is blind as a bat.

Maybe not in small numbers but we have no realistic idea on those numbers because of the number of people. It's easier to blame Gamestop but the fact remain used games don't hurt devs at all, their own stupidity hurts them. The used games did not put companies out of business.
---
"LOL fail, SMG and GTA5 aren't even from the same decade. gj." - War_Fail
#52Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/13/2012 8:18:31 PM
cloudrivera posted...
Seriously stop blaming Gamestop. If the games were good in the first place then people wouldn't be trading them in. Removing Gamestop isn't going to magically make games sell over a million copies. Some people trade games in to make their next purchase cheaper. Used games have been around forever, I don't why everyone is complaining now. I don't even buy games used, games automatically go down in price dramatically after a couple of weeks (seriously I bought Dishonored for $25 on Amazon during Black Friday). But to think the game industry is failing solely because of Gamestop is quite stupid.

I'm not blaming Gamestop for causing developers to go under, I'm blaming Gamestop for taking money away from the developer with their used game sale practice. It's like a legal torrent site that charges you

The outcome is the same, you get a game, the developer gets no money

If the developers make more money, they could spend more money in developing the game, thus giving gamers a better experience for their buck and maybe they would not release so much damn DLC
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#53Baha05Posted 12/13/2012 8:21:24 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
I'm not blaming Gamestop for causing developers to go under, I'm blaming Gamestop for taking money away from the developer with their used game sale practice. It's like a legal torrent site that charges you

If the developers make more money, they could spend more money in developing the game, thus giving gamers a better experience for their buck and maybe they would not release so much damn DLC

In other words you are blaming Gamestop for trying to make a profit? How damn selfish are you man?

The outcome isn't even the same because the developers STILL have gotten money on the game from the fact for there to be a used game someone had to have bought it. And by the time the good deals on used games come out the game most likely made the developers enough money to use on developing more games.
---
#54cloudriveraPosted 12/13/2012 8:21:42 PM
silverbullt posted...
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]

No I didn't because both scenarios happen
---
currently playing: inFAMOUS, Halo 4
#55cloudriveraPosted 12/13/2012 8:23:48 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
cloudrivera posted...
Seriously stop blaming Gamestop. If the games were good in the first place then people wouldn't be trading them in. Removing Gamestop isn't going to magically make games sell over a million copies. Some people trade games in to make their next purchase cheaper. Used games have been around forever, I don't why everyone is complaining now. I don't even buy games used, games automatically go down in price dramatically after a couple of weeks (seriously I bought Dishonored for $25 on Amazon during Black Friday). But to think the game industry is failing solely because of Gamestop is quite stupid.

Then tell me, how do you expect Gamestop to remain in business? If they only sold new games they wouldn't be in business right now
---
#56Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/13/2012 8:24:26 PM
Baha05 posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

In other words you are blaming Gamestop for trying to make a profit? How damn selfish are you man?

The outcome isn't even the same because the developers STILL have gotten money on the game from the fact for there to be a used game someone had to have bought it. And by the time the good deals on used games come out the game most likely made the developers enough money to use on developing more games.

They got money from the one sale.

If Bob buys the game for $60 and Bob decides to wipe his ass with the game and throws it away.

Jane pirates the game

Software Developer = 1 sale

Bob buys the game and later decides to sell it to Gamestop

Jane buys the game used

---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#57Baha05Posted 12/13/2012 8:27:48 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
They got money from the one sale.

If Bob buys the game for $60 and Bob decides to wipe his ass with the game and throws it away.

Jane pirates the game

Bob buys the game and later decides to sell it to Gamestop

Jane buys the game used

Yeah and you know what? Those sales add up. Because that's the thing, developers aren't just selling one single unit, they tend to sell rough half a million, at 60 buck a pop time 500k they made 30 Million off the game. And that might just be opening week. The number will continue to climb until the game is old enough that the developers made a profit.
---
#58Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/13/2012 8:34:13 PM(edited)
cloudrivera posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
cloudrivera posted...

Then tell me, how do you expect Gamestop to remain in business? If they only sold new games they wouldn't be in business right now

Gamestop reported a profit of 980 million from new sales.

I think 980 million profit is good enough, don't you think

Now lets look at the software publishers and developers

Down, down..

The people who actually make the product are not making profits, most are losing money while Gamestop is rocking the dough by selling used products (1.2 or 3 billion profit, more than new sales)

Seems legit right

but what about poor Gamestop, but hey.. when Software publishers decide to go strictly digital and stop selling products at Gamestop, Goodbye Gamestop, which is eventually going to happen. Which will mean, the only thing Gamestop will be selling is old generation games, consoles and accessories. No more new games for them to sale, used or new.

That's the direction they'll go. It's already starting with PC games, hell.. Gamestop no longer carries many PC games if that. They even switched over to a digital medium.

Soon as console companies such as MS/Nintendo/Sony switch over to that, honestly I'm surprised they have not switched yet because it generates more profit for everyone, minus Gamestop. LOL
---
#59cloudriveraPosted 12/13/2012 8:35:34 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
cloudrivera posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
cloudrivera posted...

Gamestop reported a profit of 980 million from new sales.

I think 980 million profit is good enough, don't you think

Now lets look at the software publishers and developers

Down, down..

The people who actually make the product are not making profits, most are losing money while Gamestop is rocking the dough by selling used products (1.2 or 3 billion profit, more than new sales)

Seems legit right

but what about poor Gamestop, but hey.. when Software publishers decide to go strictly digital and stop selling products at Gamestop, Goodbye Gamestop, which is eventually going to happen.

You really have no idea how businesses work. Have you ever heard of the word "costs"? Do you know how much they have to pay ALL their employees? Costs of advertising their stores? Paying rent space? The amount of taxes they have to pay? And countless other costs?

Don't blame Gamestop for actually knowing how to run its business unlike some developers. Gamestop not being around wouldn't have stopped Curt Schillings' company from going under.
---
#60Baha05Posted 12/13/2012 8:37:26 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Soon as console companies such as MS/Nintendo/Sony switch over to that, honestly I'm surprised they have not switched yet because it generates more profit for everyone, minus Gamestop. LOL

And yet as soon as they do go all digital is the day we get the second video game crash. Going fully digital is by far the most foolish thing they can do.
---