How many titles actually sell a million plus units in a given year?

#91TiamatKillerPosted 12/13/2012 10:41:00 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
shadestreet posted...
I can't believe this guy compared reselling cars and houses to a video game

and the resell of DVDs and music is extremely low compared to video games

I can't believe you can't believe it. It is the exact same principle.

Make reselling illegal on any good, and the market responds accordingly.

Difference for automobiles and houses.

Large amounts of money paid, if you can't sell a car you'll not be able to buy a new car. If you have to sell a game to buy a new game, you need a job

That's not the point.

When you buy a physical copy, you OWN that game. People are free to do with their possessions whatever they see fit.

I don't understand why people can't grasp this concept...it doesn't matter if it's a car, a house, a deck of cards, a video game, a soccer ball.
---
GTX 560 Ti (2GB)/ z77-pro motherboard/ i5-3570k/ 8 GB RAM
#92Baha05Posted 12/13/2012 10:42:11 PM
DemonDog666 posted...
Problem isn't used games problem is people buying used games for 5 bucks less then full price day after launch.

And what's the number of people even doing that? Besides at that price or not in order for there to be a used game there has to have been a sale in the first place. The used market literally hurts no one, no company is going under because of this.
---
"Gamestop will not be around in 10 years because physical games will no longer exist, it'll all be digital" Xeeh_Bitz
#93FayeLadyPosted 12/13/2012 10:47:24 PM
Baha05 posted...
DemonDog666 posted...
Problem isn't used games problem is people buying used games for 5 bucks less then full price day after launch.

And what's the number of people even doing that? Besides at that price or not in order for there to be a used game there has to have been a sale in the first place. The used market literally hurts no one, no company is going under because of this.

Furthermore, the used game market feeds money into the market where there would have been none gained before. If gamestop sell a new game to customer A, and customer A can resell it, then customer A has equity in that game. They can use it like money in the purchase of another game. A purchase that would not have happen without their ability to trade in the game.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#94shadestreetPosted 12/13/2012 10:47:40 PM

And how is that a problem? If you make a game that is so poor, that people are returning it in droves the very next day, that is the fault of Gamestop? There is no responsibility on the publisher?

Extend that to a console. If Sony, MS, or Nintendo release a console that is so terrible that everyone returns it - we should blame gamestop, or ebay? Not hold the maker of said console responsible?

Again - this is classic example of the market exacting justice - release a crappy product, you should lose money. Release a great product, you should make money.
#95shadestreetPosted 12/13/2012 10:49:54 PM
Furthermore, the used game market feeds money into the market where there would have been none gained before. If gamestop sell a new game to customer A, and customer A can resell it, then customer A has equity in that game. They can use it like money in the purchase of another game. A purchase that would not have happen without their ability to trade in the game.

Good luck getting this to sink in...
#96Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/13/2012 10:50:30 PM
shadestreet posted...
Granted I am being borderline douche in using my penchant for expensive timepieces to drive the point home, but I think you are also in the wrong for dismissing anyone who cannot buy videogames with reckless abandon as "needing a job".

Paying 60 dollars for a videogame when you are a college student is tough. Paying 60 dollars as a single parent to make your child happy at Christmas is tough. This is not an inexpensive hobby, and if you remove the ability of resale, the market would act accordingly, just like it would in any other product - iPad, watch, car, house.

What would happen in this completely implausible scenario where resale of games is essentially nothing at all - I had a long response written detailing but just deleted - the market would play out and in the end developers would take fewer risks as consumers rarely make "splurge" purchases, prices would fall, etc, you should be able to think this through so I won't waste time typing.

With the publishers losing money, pretty much all of them. You'll not have to worry about it when none is making any games other than Indie Developers, hope you like those games
Not saying the reselling is the reason for it but it does cut into their money.
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#97FayeLadyPosted 12/13/2012 10:52:11 PM
shadestreet posted...

Good luck getting this to sink in...

It comes easy to me because its my practice to by used only. People tend not to understand economics, but they listen intently to "How do you buy so many game?"
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#98FayeLadyPosted 12/13/2012 10:57:03 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

With the publishers losing money, pretty much all of them. You'll not have to worry about it when none is making any games other than Indie Developers, hope you like those games
Not saying the reselling is the reason for it but it does cut into their money.

No more so than it does in any other industry. In fact one could argue that it effects them less. Novelty is a huge driving force in a games sales. People aren't buying older games at anywhere near the levels they buy older music or movies or even books. With few exceptions, if a game has not done well in its first two weeks on the market, it will not. Most games succeed or fail before the used game market has much time to act.
---
#99Xeeh_BitzPosted 12/13/2012 10:59:39 PM
TiamatKiller posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
shadestreet posted...
I can't believe this guy compared reselling cars and houses to a video game

and the resell of DVDs and music is extremely low compared to video games

I can't believe you can't believe it. It is the exact same principle.

Make reselling illegal on any good, and the market responds accordingly.

Difference for automobiles and houses.

Large amounts of money paid, if you can't sell a car you'll not be able to buy a new car. If you have to sell a game to buy a new game, you need a job

That's not the point.

When you buy a physical copy, you OWN that game. People are free to do with their possessions whatever they see fit.

I don't understand why people can't grasp this concept...it doesn't matter if it's a car, a house, a deck of cards, a video game, a soccer ball.

You never own a game.

You own a license to play the game.

The disc is just a medium to deliver that right to you
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#100Baha05Posted 12/13/2012 11:01:05 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
You never own a game.

You own a license to play the game.

The disc is just a medium to deliver that right to you

But you still have the physical copy and developers really can't do **** about what you do with it.
---
"Gamestop will not be around in 10 years because physical games will no longer exist, it'll all be digital" Xeeh_Bitz