So apparently "God" is considered innapropriate on Miiverse.

#21HellsingOrgPosted 12/14/2012 1:15:06 AM
Nintendo is still for kids!
Just like the 90s censorship days.

How many times did we get censored religious themed stuff and symbols in the NA releases?

No crosses,
No words like Holy in final fantasy instead we got pearl >_>

Nintendo protecting kids and f***ing their adult loyal fanbase since the start.
---
The bird of Hermes is my name eating my wings to make me tame.
#22Sirian_HawkPosted 12/14/2012 1:20:48 AM
It isn't Nintendo. Television blocks out the word God all the time. It's quite funny to hear the censored program when a character says, "---damn it!" Like out of the two words "God" and "Damn" that kids might pick up, let's make sure they don't learn that horrible G-word.
---
Sure sign you are a nerd: The beginning of AC/DCs "Thunderstruck" always makes you think of Lion-O swinging his sword around.
#23ImGanondorfLolPosted 12/14/2012 1:25:55 AM
Hey Zelda games use the word God all the time so why not??
#24HellsingOrgPosted 12/14/2012 1:26:21 AM
Sirian_Hawk posted...
It isn't Nintendo. Television blocks out the word God all the time. It's quite funny to hear the censored program when a character says, "---damn it!" Like out of the two words "God" and "Damn" that kids might pick up, let's make sure they don't learn that horrible G-word.

tv censors wut?

sorry make its cause I only watch cable but all my shows say the F word and a bunch of other stuff during the daytime hours.
---
#25EoinPosted 12/14/2012 1:33:07 AM(edited)
Foppe posted...
Religion should stay out from the Miiverse, so what is the problem?

I agree that discussions about religion on any kind of internet forum will not go in any positive direction. However, blocking the word "god" doesn't stop discussion about religion. If anything, it makes it worse, because now some idiot is going to sit there trying different names for various gods, and find that some of them work. Maybe Allah is allowed. Maybe Yahweh or Krishna or Vata or Zeus or Cthulhu. Or maybe talking about a god will work in Spanish, or French, or Latin.

Additionally, many religions will have more than one way to refer to their god or gods. This is why you get phrases like "the almighty" or "heavenly father". There's a near-infinite supply of these. Some religions - most notably Christian religions - have taboos against directly naming their god(s) in anything but a reverential context, which has resulted in all kinds of weird ways of referring to a god without actually directly doing so.

So rather than stopping discussions about religion, this starts people thinking about how to get around that filter, and starts exactly that discussion (hence: this topic). It also, as an added bonus, stops non-religious use of the word "god".

dart246 posted...
Pretty sure that's Nintendo just avoiding the inevitable religion debate that kind of goes like this.

- Someone makes a comment about something that's a hot topic (i.e. repeal of DOMA)
- Insert someone talking about the "sancitity of marriage"
- Insert someone using research and statistics
- Insert someone else saying "children children children"
- Insert another person using research and stats;
- Insert the standard "world going to sin and end times, you will meet your maker" comment that it always fails to due to severe lack of justification of prejudice.

I totally agree, except that I cannot see how blocking the word "god" stops any of that. You've gone through six stages of a hypothetical conversation there, and I cannot see a single step that would cease to exist because someone can't say "god".
#26HellsingOrgPosted 12/14/2012 1:33:35 AM
Didn't Zelda Wind Waker have Tower of the Gods or something?

LOL if you can't even discuss AAA nintendo games on miiverse...

>_>
---
#27MrSRArterPosted 12/14/2012 1:34:22 AM
Nintendo is a religious company.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eStcSpAdodc&feature=plcp <- I agree with this video.
Official Birthday Cake flavor of the IDF
#28Sirian_HawkPosted 12/14/2012 1:34:51 AM
HellsingOrg posted...
Sirian_Hawk posted...

tv censors wut?

sorry make its cause I only watch cable but all my shows say the F word and a bunch of other stuff during the daytime hours.

Yeah the good channels do. Some channels are heavily censored however. Peachtree TV (previously TBS) is horrible for that. Hell even Family Guy made a joke about that.

Peter: Geez Meg, you ruined my good time! Just like basic cable.
(flashback)
TV: We now return to "Showgirls"...
Peter: Yay!
TV:...On TBS.
Peter: Aww...
---
Sure sign you are a nerd: The beginning of AC/DCs "Thunderstruck" always makes you think of Lion-O swinging his sword around.
#29CrackRokMcCaibPosted 12/14/2012 1:36:13 AM
HellsingOrg posted...
Nintendo is still for kids!
Just like the 90s censorship days.

How many times did we get censored religious themed stuff and symbols in the NA releases?

No crosses,
No words like Holy in final fantasy instead we got pearl >_>

Nintendo protecting kids and f***ing their adult loyal fanbase since the start.

Damn right. I can't say anything without it being mod bashed. I couldn't use WoG for World of Goo. Still can't figure out what's wrong with that.

Play Tales of Symphonia for GameCube. It has the most religious ties I've seen in a game. Favorite game of all time.
---
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
#30Undead_YakuzaPosted 12/14/2012 1:53:34 AM
Miiverse is nothing but a joke. Seriously, a community with that much censoring is disgusting.