So apparently "God" is considered innapropriate on Miiverse.

#51GM_Posted 12/14/2012 6:23:09 AM(edited)
Quote:ILikesCheese posted...
Arn544 posted...
Eoin posted...
Arn544 posted...
Not making a religious endorsement is fine, but preventing others from doing so is infringing upon their rights.

While banning the word is silly, it does not infringe upon your rights.

How could it not be? It violates free speech and freedom of religion

You're confusing how "your rights" are applied on a global scale. "Your Rights" as an American citizen (I'm guessing your country of origin here) don't apply to products created and systems run in Japan for instance.

By the way, I don't know about Peyote but Weed is legal in Washington and Colorado now.

:D

Still illegal federally so they can't use it

Anyway I think it's different in this case because nintendo has a north american branch, (and the na online's servers are probably in california). Basically if they're going to operate here they have to abide by our laws. The japanese branch and japanese servers don't have to but their american ones do.

@Arn544

There's no laws to abide by. It's called a ToS agreement.
---
#52AkaimizuPosted 12/14/2012 6:30:23 AM(edited)
linkums posted...
What about people saying "Oh my God" or worshippers of the goddesses from Zelda?

Then they would say Goddess. But then again, that's probably restricted. :)

Even this site has ToS that restricts certain things from being said and maintained on this site. It may be more loose than some others, with such a public forum, but that's the breaks. So if you are trying to talk all about freedom of speech as a way to say, "I want everything to be able to be said and used on the forum." Then even this site wouldn't satisfy.

While a lot of slippery-slope kind of thinking is ridiculous, because it takes things way out of context; this issue is exactly one of those cases slippery-slope actually has some credence to.

Even if the original intention was sound, as Gamefaqs has so well proven, it almost always invites some pretty nasty ToS-breaking responses. Some people on Gamefaqs practically pop a nerve the moment they see that word on the screen.

---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vern Reid (http://houseofninja.com/tutorial.php)
#53banjo kazooiePosted 12/14/2012 6:28:22 AM
Arn544 posted...
Just looked it up, doesn't have to be the government making laws, the constitution applies to:

"the equal protection of the laws, equality of status under the law, equal treatment in the administration of justice, and equality of opportunity and access to employment, education, housing, public services and facilities, and public accommodation because of their exercise of their right to religious freedom."

So basically the service industry has to abide by it, which I believe Miiverse would fall under.

Right. Except the law isn't freedom of religious expression. It's freedom to worship whatever or whomever you want. I could start a small group that worships my toaster, and nobody's allowed to discriminate against me for doing so. That, however, doesn't mean I can give public sermons in Gamestop without anyone being allowed to prevent me from doing so.
---
*(int *)nullptr = 0;
http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/
#54Soanevalcke6Posted 12/14/2012 6:28:24 AM
Is Goddess Restricted?

Just say Goddess instead of God then.
---
They made a moon base to survey my standards but they have yet to make visual contact.
I'm a Genre-Pro. Great Music: http://tinyurl.com/d8f78ax
#55CranberryPSOPosted 12/14/2012 6:30:37 AM
You guys should have seen the censoring on the 360 version of Phantasy Star Universe. The filters were so terrible it not only censored your word, but your entire message. And some of the words they censored were utterly rediculous. Both Sega and Microsoft had their own list of filtered words. If you said a Sega filtered word it merely blocked the individual word. If you hit one of Microsofts words, it censored the whole message. And Microsoft in their infinite wisdom found it necessary to censor their own company name.

If you said "Microsoft", "Bill Gates", or "Xbox Live" it censored your entire message. If you said "Beast" it censored your entire message. If you said "Missions" your entire message was censored. There were many, many, many others. It was all but impossible to have a normal conversation without having your entire message wiped because of their strange in-game censoring.

The funny thing was that Microsoft censored their own name, but it was perfectly okay to say Sony or Nintendo.
---
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 2
#56AkaimizuPosted 12/14/2012 6:37:08 AM(edited)
Actually. Microsoft didn't do that. Sega was the one that did that. They were incredibly crazy with censorship on their PSU servers. It's exactly one reason that Voice Chat was almost a MUST with PSU, if you wanted to communicate with folks.

What made it worse was that they censored various slang that might be seen as offensive in other languages which may have no meaning for you. So in that respect. Even saying something like Microsoft Xbox or something meant you crossed one of those slang expressions whether it is inside the word or separated by spaces, dashes, or commas.

Heck. For a while, SEGA even censored many numbers. So for some time, I couldn't even talk about my PM model number. PM - Personal Machine which was an assist machine you could take with you on quests.

You couldn't even confirm something with someone by saying, "Got it!"
Why? Because there is a T, followed by an iT. So Tit was out of the question. So much for Tat.

---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vern Reid (http://houseofninja.com/tutorial.php)
#57Arn544Posted 12/14/2012 6:41:05 AM
banjo kazooie posted...
Arn544 posted...
Just looked it up, doesn't have to be the government making laws, the constitution applies to:

"the equal protection of the laws, equality of status under the law, equal treatment in the administration of justice, and equality of opportunity and access to employment, education, housing, public services and facilities, and public accommodation because of their exercise of their right to religious freedom."

So basically the service industry has to abide by it, which I believe Miiverse would fall under.

Right. Except the law isn't freedom of religious expression. It's freedom to worship whatever or whomever you want. I could start a small group that worships my toaster, and nobody's allowed to discriminate against me for doing so. That, however, doesn't mean I can give public sermons in Gamestop without anyone being allowed to prevent me from doing so.

“private religious speech, far from being a First Amendment orphan, is as fully protected…as secular private expression.” Capitol Sq. Review & Advisory Bd. v. Pinette, 515 U.S. 753, 760 (1995).
#58DrRMPosted 12/14/2012 6:42:38 AM
TC the problem is you are praying to the wrong "god"

next time say Farore bless..." or "for Din sake" or "for the love of Nayru"
---
"He aqui mi secreto, que no puede ser mas simple : solo con el corazon se puede ver bien; lo esencial es invisible para los ojos."
#59banjo kazooiePosted 12/14/2012 6:46:37 AM
Arn544 posted...
banjo kazooie posted...
Arn544 posted...

“private religious speech, far from being a First Amendment orphan, is as fully protected…as secular private expression.” Capitol Sq. Review & Advisory Bd. v. Pinette, 515 U.S. 753, 760 (1995).

That doesn't, in any way, mean that I can go to someone else's private property, and without their permission, start making religious rants.
---
*(int *)nullptr = 0;
http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/
#60Arn544Posted 12/14/2012 6:53:16 AM
How is miiverse private property? isn't it a social media thing? how can you get more public than that?