So apparently "God" is considered innapropriate on Miiverse.

#61CranberryPSOPosted 12/14/2012 6:55:09 AM
It actually was a Microsoft thing that caused the entire-message censoring. You could tell if it was Microsoft or Sega's system by how your message was censored.

Sega used the same language filter they've been using since PSO. It was also present on the PC and PS2 versions of PSU. If you said a censored word, it censored just that word. They too had some really funny censoring structures, such as the word "idiot" being censored. Episode 3 of Phantasy Star Online has the censor saved client-side, so you can actually still see the the filters in effect if you play that game offline and type out words (even though there's nobody to hear you.)

It had long been suspected that the entire message censoring was from Microsoft when one week, the censoring suddenly got significantly worse and many more words were added to the filter. PSU GM Edward confirmed in no uncertain terms that it was not Sega that had put it in, but Microsoft, and that they were working with Microsoft to get it resolved. A week or 2 later, it went back to "normal".

You could definitly see the difference if you were on the PC or PS2 version of PSU, where you did not have Microsoft's added filter, and thus did not have to worry about your ENTIRE message being wiped out.

Akaimizu posted...
Actually. Microsoft didn't do that. Sega was the one that did that. They were incredibly crazy with censorship on their PSU servers. It's exactly one reason that Voice Chat was almost a MUST with PSU, if you wanted to communicate with folks.

What made it worse was that they censored various slang that might be seen as offensive in other languages which may have no meaning for you. So in that respect. Even saying something like Microsoft Xbox or something meant you crossed one of those slang expressions whether it is inside the word or separated by spaces, dashes, or commas.

Heck. For a while, SEGA even censored many numbers. So for some time, I couldn't even talk about my PM model number. PM - Personal Machine which was an assist machine you could take with you on quests.

You couldn't even confirm something with someone by saying, "Got it!"
Why? Because there is a T, followed by an iT. So Tit was out of the question. So much for Tat.

---
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 2
#62Arn544Posted 12/14/2012 6:56:37 AM
Just to add, it's not privately owned either.

So miiverse is a public service operated by a international corporation.
#63DrumguyPosted 12/14/2012 6:58:10 AM
The word "kill" is inappropriate too. Tried to use it on a comment on the CoD: BO2 board.
---
Find me on Miiverse! Nintendo Network ID: Metanoia
#64banjo kazooiePosted 12/14/2012 7:00:05 AM
Arn544 posted...
How is miiverse private property? isn't it a social media thing? how can you get more public than that?

It's the internet equivalent of a private venue. Especially so being that it's paid admission (need to own a Wii U). It is entirely property of Nintendo, and all you say or do there is by their leave.
---
*(int *)nullptr = 0;
http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/
#65banjo kazooiePosted 12/14/2012 7:01:03 AM
Arn544 posted...

[Citation needed]

Pretty sure it's owned by Nintendo.
---
*(int *)nullptr = 0;
http://me.veekun.com/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/
#66GeassMasterPosted 12/14/2012 7:02:08 AM
I wonder what's going to happen when someone from the bible belt or fox news gets their hands on the Wii U and tries to talk about God on miiverse. The outrage will be crazy.

This will be as a big of an outrage as the PSP!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l7ng-U_fks
---
Now Playing: Mugen Souls, Ragnarok Odyessy, P4G, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation, DW: Gundam 2
I Have A Huge Backlog.
#67AkaimizuPosted 12/14/2012 7:09:20 AM(edited)
CranberryPSO posted...
It actually was a Microsoft thing that caused the entire-message censoring. You could tell if it was Microsoft or Sega's system by how your message was censored.

Sega used the same language filter they've been using since PSO. It was also present on the PC and PS2 versions of PSU. If you said a censored word, it censored just that word. They too had some really funny censoring structures, such as the word "idiot" being censored. Episode 3 of Phantasy Star Online has the censor saved client-side, so you can actually still see the the filters in effect if you play that game offline and type out words (even though there's nobody to hear you.)

It had long been suspected that the entire message censoring was from Microsoft when one week, the censoring suddenly got significantly worse and many more words were added to the filter. PSU GM Edward confirmed in no uncertain terms that it was not Sega that had put it in, but Microsoft, and that they were working with Microsoft to get it resolved. A week or 2 later, it went back to "normal".

You could definitly see the difference if you were on the PC or PS2 version of PSU, where you did not have Microsoft's added filter, and thus did not have to worry about your ENTIRE message being wiped out.

Hmm. That is definitely strange. The first time I've ever seen Microsoft ever step in on how a game handled messaging to each other. I wonder why no other games, that had text message, ever got that treatment? I'd like to smack whoever decided to give PSU special treatment, on that one.

---
"because 'Clerks' is NINJA in itself." - Ninja Mask lessons by Vern Reid (http://houseofninja.com/tutorial.php)
#68IzzythewinnerPosted 12/14/2012 7:09:34 AM
YamagishiD posted...
I like to replace words like God, Jesus, and swears with foods.
Like "For the love of pumpkins!" or "Milkshakes bless the dodge roll."
It works for me.

hello kindergardener.
---
PSN NAME: IzzyTehPwnr
XBL: Izzy The Owner
#69Arn544Posted 12/14/2012 7:09:48 AM
banjo kazooie posted...
Arn544 posted...

[Citation needed]

Pretty sure it's owned by Nintendo.

From everything I'm reading if it's on the internet accessible to external sources, in this case wii u owners then it's public

Also why do you need citation? It's a corporation you can buy stock, NTDOY is one of the symbols in fact I own shares of it.
#70EoinPosted 12/14/2012 7:10:02 AM
Arn544 posted...
How is miiverse private property? isn't it a social media thing? how can you get more public than that?

It's fully owned by Nintendo.

If I own a house with a garden and have a sign outside saying "feel free to use the garden but if you talk about politics while you're here I'll eject you", and you come into the garden and start talking about politics, I'm totally allowed to eject you (in fact, I'm allowed to do that if I suddenly feel like it). You can't object to it, it's my property. The fact that it's "open" doesn't stop it being mine.