So apparently "God" is considered innapropriate on Miiverse.

#91wh0_kn0wsPosted 12/14/2012 9:06:54 AM
Arn544 posted...
I think it comes down to a little more than that and is left up to interpretation, it's typically private if it has a lot of membership requirements, in this case the only real requirement is owning a wii u. To access the internet you need a PC, that doesn't make the internet a club.

yes, the internet is considered more or less a public entity. nintendo's proprietary corner of it isn't. so it's run like they want which is basically like north korea.
---
it's simple. just be nice.
#92Arn544Posted 12/14/2012 9:11:40 AM
Akaimizu posted...
But every forum on the internet IS a club. This is the thing. You are asked to agree to Terms of Service upon entering that club. You do so voluntarily and anybody who makes an account to post in it, does so. Just like being at a Job, doing anything you sign up for, you agree that certain things are taboo to say. Get used to it.

Thinking otherwise is like trying to say that you enter a person's domicile in some country for where the rules are you can't do something, you argue for it since the world outside of it gives you full freedom to do it.

And using Miiverse doesn't mean you simply just have a Wii U. You can use a Wii U without Miiverse. In fact, you don't use Miiverse without first signing up for it. Remember that, account signup stuff you have? Yeah, that thing. Now you can fully not use Miiverse if you don't want to, but you did agree to some things.

employees are definitely protected, public or private as long as it doesn't interfere with their work. That's called title VII of the civil rights act.
#93Soanevalcke6Posted 12/14/2012 9:16:17 AM(edited)
Arn544 posted...
Eoin posted...
Arn544 posted...
How is it incorrect? If it's files on your computer it's private, however if you publish it and make it visible to other people it becomes public.

It's still your property. Also, you're talking about publishing. The Nintendo Network is, effectively, legally a club. You get in based on Nintendo's entry conditions. You stay based on Nintendo's sufferance and nothing else. Your speech is limited in whatever ways Nintendo wants it to be limited. They are not a government. Your freedom of speech rights do not apply.

It depends on if they are a public or private club, it does not have to be government, no public institution can violate your free speech. Even public clubs are not allowed to violate your free speech.

Yes they are allowed, They Own the Club (Which makes it Private), they have every right to kick anyone out for saying something they don't like.
---
They made a moon base to survey my standards but they have yet to make visual contact.
I'm a Genre-Pro. Great Music: http://tinyurl.com/d8f78ax
#94EoinPosted 12/14/2012 9:16:58 AM
Arn544 posted...
employees are definitely protected, public or private as long as it doesn't interfere with their work. That's called title VII of the civil rights act.

You're now conflating (or else just simply confusing) anti-discrimination laws with freedom of speech.

The post you're responding to is talking about freedom of speech. The part of the US Civil Rights Act that you're referring to has nothing to do with freedom of speech.
#952000eramaaxPosted 12/14/2012 9:36:18 AM
This honestly is pointless.Loads of games use 'god'.But I guess this helps a tiny bit.God doesn't ex- history proves he does.
---
WiiU/3DS Fc: 2363-6674-0779
maniax300/maax300/manax300
#96Arn544Posted 12/14/2012 9:36:35 AM
Eoin posted...
Arn544 posted...

You're now conflating (or else just simply confusing) anti-discrimination laws with freedom of speech.

The post you're responding to is talking about freedom of speech. The part of the US Civil Rights Act that you're referring to has nothing to do with freedom of speech.

well he was talking about taboo things to say if you sign up for a job, my point was a company couldn't fire you for saying god unless it caused damage to the company or kept you from doing your work
#97EoinPosted 12/14/2012 9:43:13 AM
Arn544 posted...
well he was talking about taboo things to say if you sign up for a job, my point was a company couldn't fire you for saying god unless it caused damage to the company or kept you from doing your work

He was talking about companies curtailing your freedom of speech. Typically this will happen in any customer-facing role. Employees will also typically be expected to act in a decorous fashion and avoid personal insults and non-constructive criticism no matter what their role is. These are large restrictions on your speech, but are totally legal, because - again, and this is the key point, they are not governmental attempts to abridge your speech.

To go back to the very beginning: what Nintendo are doing might be silly, but it does not violate your rights.
#98BufkusPosted 12/14/2012 9:50:02 AM
whoever said "God of War" gets moderated is full of it.

OP you said "God bless" which clearly has religious connotations.

Nobody is going to get moderated for non-religiously uses of the word God. If someone said "Godammit" or "OMG" I doubt they would get moderated.
#99bleedingelitePosted 12/14/2012 10:05:01 AM
Unfortunately, censorship is more like a hammer than a surgical tool. It blocks so many things just to keep the minority from getting offended by isolated occurrences. As far as I'm concerned, it's never a good thing.
#100Squished_MarioPosted 12/14/2012 10:09:50 AM
Let's face it...Nintendo has no idea what they're doing.
---
Part of the Viewmaster_pi's Caln Magna cum laude
PSN: VexSilver