Is the title killing it?

#1plasmawisp1713Posted 12/16/2012 5:58:27 AM
Before you guys call me trolls, I freaking love the Wii u.

So I had a few friends over to play the Wii U. My friend Shelby didn't know all night that IT WAS IT'S OWN CONSOLE. She thought the Wii U was the GAMEPAD and THAT IS IT. She thought it was a Wii Extension.

If it wasn't called the Wii U, I think people might think it' was it's own console. People do judge a book by it's cover...
---
Wii U Nintendo Network: Lightzeaka
3DS Friend Code: 4296-4396-5385
#2MetazoiddPosted 12/16/2012 6:00:42 AM
I think maybe but then again, why can't people figure it out? Xbox 360 that could be some kind of extension who knows. Nintendo needs better marketing than the stupid commercial with those people in that weird box playing nintendoland.
#3FayeLadyPosted 12/16/2012 6:06:03 AM
Doesn't seem to be hurting the 3DS much. Either that or people have grown to expect annual releases of that.
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#4DarkAdonis123Posted 12/16/2012 6:15:40 AM
No one should think you're a troll. That's actually a legitimate question. I also own a Wii U and I think they should've called it something else. They look at the 97 million Wiis sold and think it's a good idea to reuse the name. They didn't take into account that a good half of those people felt burned by the Wii.

Not to mention they don't seem to be advertising as hard. I sent my girlfriend a pic of the Wii U when I first got it, and she asked me "Is it a handheld?" People who don't really know about games can easily be confused about if the Wii U is a handheld or a controller add on for the Wii. It doesn't help that at a glance it looks very similar.
---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue
#5MetazoiddPosted 12/16/2012 6:20:32 AM
Even something as simple as the "Nintendo X" would've been much better.
#6Tsutarja495Posted 12/16/2012 6:27:19 AM
I don't see why this is suddenly a problem with the Wii U when it wasn't with:
PS -> PS2 -> PS3
Xbox -> Xbox 360
GB -> GBC -> GBA
NES -> SNES
etc...
#7DarkAdonis123Posted 12/16/2012 6:31:06 AM
Tsutarja495 posted...
PS -> PS2 -> PS3
Xbox -> Xbox 360
GB -> GBC -> GBA
NES -> SNES
etc...

Every system you listed had either a number, or an additional word tacked on to distinguish them as a successor. Not a random letter.
---
If Platinum was HAND drawn, she'd be on paper, fool. This is a video game. They just made her on screen, no "drawing" involved -Delano7 on BlazBlue
#8MetazoiddPosted 12/16/2012 6:33:00 AM
Tsutarja495 posted...
PS -> PS2 -> PS3
Xbox -> Xbox 360
GB -> GBC -> GBA
NES -> SNES
etc...

I think partially it has to do with how prominently the gamepad is shown on the box and the overall emphasis on it. But yea, its silly how confused people are about it.
#9FayeLadyPosted 12/16/2012 6:34:30 AM
DarkAdonis123 posted...
Tsutarja495 posted...
PS -> PS2 -> PS3
Xbox -> Xbox 360
GB -> GBC -> GBA
NES -> SNES
etc...

Every system you listed had either a number, or an additional word tacked on to distinguish them as a successor. Not a random letter.

Exactly. PS2 is a lot easier to recognize as a successor than PS-B (I'd buy a Playstation Beta though, that sounds awesome.)
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#10DBPanterAPosted 12/16/2012 7:03:43 AM
The name is horrible. Easily the worst part of the entire console.

Until the gaming community starts referring to it in another manner, much like 360 is analogous to Microsoft Xbox360, there will be issues. I simply refer to it as The U, leaving all confusing parts on the side line.
---
NNID: Minny612
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036