Why does the Wii U limit how many times you can play a demo?

#31Cyber Akuma ZeroPosted 12/17/2012 9:56:28 AM
poo111111111111 posted...
from what I read it's up to the developers. They could probably put a limit of 10, 15, 30, 60, 99999999 if they wanted.

Bull

Its NINTENDO that added the ability for their systems to limit demos based by amount of plays, THEY are the ones who specifically, on purpose, coded this functionality into their consoles.

Saying that "It's the publisher's fault" is like saying all DVD players in the world are region free and it's the publisher's fault for putting a region lock when they could have just made the movie region-free. The movie has nothing to do with whether it can be played back or not, its the player that is coded specifically to check for a region code and refuse to play the disk if the codes mis-match.

Same thing with the Wii U limited downloads, Nintendo on purpose coded the stupid assinine ability to limit the amount of times you can play a demo, then try to pass the blame to publishers for using this feature. The PS3 and 360 have no such "feature", have you seen demos ever claim that you played it too many times and thus can never play it again?
---
"A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. On my desk I have a workstation." - William Faulkner
Gamertag in profile
#32ONCbtMPosted 12/17/2012 10:03:41 AM
Why do people just want things to complain about? You can play it 30 times. That's about 29 more times than I need to play a demo.
#33sejan12Posted 12/17/2012 10:05:08 AM
When I was younger, I loved my PS1. Unfortunately, as a child, I didn't have enough money to buy many games. I did, however, have enough money to buy a gaming magazine every now and then that included a demo disk. Those things were amazing. Generally they had a number of playable demos and even more videos. These demo disks would keep me occupied forever. I'd play the demos over and over again, but I never purchased the game.

That is the reason for Nintendo's play counts and Sony's timed demos. Demos without restrictions on how much you can play them become cheap substitutes for purchasing games. By limiting the number of times you can play it, Nintendo ensures that you cannot abuse the demo. For the average player, playing a demo 30 times is more than enough to see everything there is to see and even get bored with it.

The limit is there to ensure you can try the game, but not abuse the system.
#34ADHDguitarPosted 12/17/2012 10:05:27 AM
Beats me.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#35AkagehisaPosted 12/17/2012 10:12:24 AM
digiblaster posted...
Some games have demos that are very good, and the game itself doesn't offer much more. I played the demo of Skate 2 for about 10-15 hours, didn't play the game that much when I bought it.

Limiting plays means that you have to go out and get it. If Sony/MS did this nobody would be complaining when Nintendo did it - people don't like change.

I can't believe there are people justifying this,,,

What if someone plays a demo like 20 times?,,, if you downloaded the demo it was because you are interested in the game,,,,, if you played the demo that many times you are obviously enjoying it and you just can't wait to buy the full game.

I don't understand the logic either,, Do Nintendo thinks that there are players that just want to play demos of the games they like? but never buying the full games?

This is stupid for me,, I can't see how this affects them.
#36ONCbtMPosted 12/17/2012 10:19:41 AM
Akagehisa posted...
digiblaster posted...
Some games have demos that are very good, and the game itself doesn't offer much more. I played the demo of Skate 2 for about 10-15 hours, didn't play the game that much when I bought it.

Limiting plays means that you have to go out and get it. If Sony/MS did this nobody would be complaining when Nintendo did it - people don't like change.

I can't believe there are people justifying this,,,

What if someone plays a demo like 20 times?,,, if you downloaded the demo it was because you are interested in the game,,,,, if you played the demo that many times you are obviously enjoying it and you just can't wait to buy the full game.

I don't understand the logic either,, Do Nintendo thinks that there are players that just want to play demos of the games they like? but never buying the full games?

This is stupid for me,, I can't see how this affects them.

Specifically, I think back to the demo of the Xbox launch party game Fuzion Frenzy. By far, the best minigame in it was included in the demo, and you could play that unlimited times. I rented the game, but never found much interest in it. Instead, we would always just play the demo and face each other in that one game. So yeah, it does happen.