Were the graphics for this console overstimated?

#31aether17Posted 12/19/2012 3:22:34 PM
Wii U will surpass PS360 in terms of graphics, you can have my head if I'm wrong after this gen is over (yes, I'm that confident). Launch ports and small budget games are not going to showcase the systems true power, especially not ports done by people who weren't even in the development process. I think the only games that will display better graphics and performance will be limited to the ports done by the actual team who developed the game (the same people who developed Trine 2 for example, also ported the game, and what do we see there?(I know, people are tired of that example, but you can't ignore it)), and apparently a Skylanders Giants dev also stated that the Wii U version runs in 1080p and with higher quality textures (I haven't seen comparisons, so I'm not sure how true that is. I don't have any versions of the game). I believe those who ported their games simply wanted their games to run on the system, I doubt they would spend extra resources and money (to improve graphics and such) on games which likely won't sell well. Stronger hardware will NOT account for developer decisions to not do things (or developer mistakes for that matter), especially not hardware which isn't significantly more powerful than PS360 and not hardware which is designed differently and never worked on before. (think about it, they're learning how to use the hardware, AND they're porting a game on a system which is still new to them)

Now some claim it will never surpass maxed out PS360 games. Considering how Iwata stated that games are using about half of the full power (more or less, and during E3), I cannot say devs have maxed out the games already (unless some believe he's wrong and that he doesn't know the specs of the hardware he's been looking at for the past few years). Now I'll add to that. Apparently according to a member on NeoGaf (Arkam?), sometime after E3 with the final dev kit there was an increase in CPU clock speed by roughly 25% (we're assuming 1ghz to 1.24ghz) and a GPU clock increase by 40%-ish (assuming 400 mhz to 550mhz), so add that to Iwata's statement about the games and the "half" statement goes down below "half" (also depends on what changes they made to the final dev kit aside from the clock speed increases. Arkam claims that things became "better" for the final dev kit compared to the previous ones, though not "amazingly" better) So right now, I expect better-looking games in the years to come. ;)
#32silverbulltPosted 12/19/2012 3:22:42 PM
The point is for just as many devs that claim it to be more powerful there are devs claiming it not to be.

I could question the validity of the in-favor devs too. Maye they have something to gain by making false claims. Hows that?

It's either more powerful, less powerful or on par and the general concensus seems to be that it's on par.
---
XBOX360 - It only does everything.
#33teknic1200Posted 12/19/2012 3:24:46 PM
mistermerk posted...
RedOrion posted...
mistermerk posted...
knightimex posted...
More so than ps3.

See trine 2.

More to come.

Believe it.

Less so than the PS3.

See Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tekken-tag-tournament-2-on-wii-u-face-off) and most other 3d big-budget third-party games.

It's easy to cherry-pick examples to paint the picture we want.

Having said that, TC, the graphics for the Wii U have been grossly overestimated. There were times this year and last where the fanboys spouted the the Wii U would do 360/Ps3 games in 1080p/60fps, or run equivalent to a high-end PC version (lol). Not only has that not been achieved, but the Wii U version of games isn't even up to par to the 360 version in most cases so far—I'd say that's an overestimation.

On a technical level, I doubt we'll ever see anything on the Wii U approach God of War:Ascensions, The Last of Us, or Halo 4. Artistically, there will be Wii U games that are gorgeous for the hardware they're on on, a la Galaxy 1/2, Xenoblade, etc.

This is grossly inaccurate.

How so? I'll wait.

trine 2 was actually updated graphically for the wii u. check it out, gorgeous game it's flipping amazing.
---
Today is the Tomorrow you were promised Yesterday
#34DiscostewSMPosted 12/19/2012 3:27:34 PM
teknic1200 posted...
mistermerk posted...
RedOrion posted...
mistermerk posted...
knightimex posted...
More so than ps3.

See trine 2.

More to come.

Believe it.

Less so than the PS3.

See Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tekken-tag-tournament-2-on-wii-u-face-off) and most other 3d big-budget third-party games.

Having said that, TC, the graphics for the Wii U have been grossly overestimated. There were times this year and last where the fanboys spouted the the Wii U would do 360/Ps3 games in 1080p/60fps, or run equivalent to a high-end PC version (lol). Not only has that not been achieved, but the Wii U version of games isn't even up to par to the 360 version in most cases so far—I'd say that's an overestimation.

On a technical level, I doubt we'll ever see anything on the Wii U approach God of War:Ascensions, The Last of Us, or Halo 4. Artistically, there will be Wii U games that are gorgeous for the hardware they're on on, a la Galaxy 1/2, Xenoblade, etc.

How so? I'll wait.

trine 2 was actually updated graphically for the wii u. check it out, gorgeous game it's flipping amazing.

And the Wii U only just released. Now, imagine if developers had 6-7 years of expertise of the Wii U under their belt like they currently have now with the PS3 and 360.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#35FewButCrazyPosted 12/19/2012 3:28:05 PM
Well, the systems graphics would have to be Stimated first, before they could be Overstimated.

I think you meant over estimated.
---
PSN = QuesoTomorokoshi
Gamertag = Tomorokoshi
#36nilesthebravePosted 12/19/2012 3:28:29 PM
The real question here is, does anyone have any clue at all as to what they're talking about
---
Anti-boner is a dangerous material. I isolated pure anti-boner and that is the reason why Germany has negative population growth.-Benamingaska
#37mistermerkPosted 12/19/2012 3:29:37 PM
teknic1200 posted...
mistermerk posted...
RedOrion posted...
mistermerk posted...
knightimex posted...
More so than ps3.

See trine 2.

More to come.

Believe it.

Less so than the PS3.

How so? I'll wait.

I understand that Trine 2 looks better on the Wii U, but one 2d game looking better does not override all the other big-budget 3d games that look/perform worse, and Trine 2 comes nowhere close to games like Halo 4, The Last of Us, etc. on a technical level.
#38silverbulltPosted 12/19/2012 3:30:15 PM
nilesthebrave posted...
The real question here is, does anyone have any clue at all as to what they're talking about

Only Pachter knows the true power of the Wii U
---
XBOX360 - It only does everything.
#39ugoo18Posted 12/19/2012 3:35:19 PM(edited)
silverbullt posted...
The point is for just as many devs that claim it to be more powerful there are devs claiming it not to be.

I could question the validity of the in-favor devs too. Maye they have something to gain by making false claims. Hows that?

It's either more powerful, less powerful or on par and the general concensus seems to be that it's on par.

Nope, point still stands.

NAMED devs (As in they stake their name and credibility by their statements) > So called faceless devs who very easily can be forum posters who know jack**** about what they are talking about (That's how you get statements like it doesn't have enough shaders, literally the only time that has ever been mentioned and completely flies in the face of GPU related statements by other NAMED devs).

So back to the original question, point out this plethora of NAMED devs who have had serious issues with the consoles.

I got you started with 4A Games, if it' as bad as you make it out to be then you should be able to find a long line of all these NAMED devs that have issues like that.

General consensus on what the Gfaqs board?

Because trolls and wannabe devs who would rather ignore the statements of people and groups who actually know what their talking about are a credible source.
---
"THE PRESIDENT HAS BEEN KIDNAPPED BY NINJAS. ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO RESCUE THE PRESIDENT ?"
#40godplaysSNESPosted 12/19/2012 3:36:01 PM
DiscostewSM posted...

More so than ps3.

And the Wii U only just released. Now, imagine if developers had 6-7 years of expertise of the Wii U under their belt like they currently have now with the PS3 and 360.

The experience gotten during those 6-7 years benefit the Wii U as well. The Wii U isn't really doing anything "new".

Trine 2 is also light on the CPU(which Digitalfoundry pointed out), which suits the Wii U's hardware better...So it still doesn't prove that the Wii U is above in all aspects
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!