I just read that Nintendo sells Wii U consoles at a loss

#1cheechmoosterPosted 12/20/2012 9:47:37 PM
So I was doing some Google searches and reading about the Wii U I just bought when I stumbled upon some startling information. Here i was thinking about the profits Nintendo is making and how much money they are saving by not including Blu-ray or even a dvd player in the Wii U when I discovered that Nintendo is actually losing money on each console sold according to Nintendo chief "Satoru Iwata". How did a company like Nintendo get such a bad deal on the manufacturing of their Wii U consoles? Using Google shopping I found a Blu-ray player for $26 and a DVD player for $20 dollars. Combined with the cheap plastic they used to make the gamepad and console itself, plus the battery they put in the gamepad, how are they losing money? I can't imagine a company manufacturing an item paying anywhere near $20 for a Blu-ray or DVD player. What aspect of making the Wii U do you think Nintendo lost the money on?
#2silverbulltPosted 12/20/2012 9:49:25 PM
cheechmooster posted...
So I was doing some Google searches and reading about the Wii U I just bought when I stumbled upon some startling information. Here i was thinking about the profits Nintendo is making and how much money they are saving by not including Blu-ray or even a dvd player in the Wii U when I discovered that Nintendo is actually losing money on each console sold according to Nintendo chief "Satoru Iwata". How did a company like Nintendo get such a bad deal on the manufacturing of their Wii U consoles? Using Google shopping I found a Blu-ray player for $26 and a DVD player for $20 dollars. Combined with the cheap plastic they used to make the gamepad and console itself, plus the battery they put in the gamepad, how are they losing money? I can't imagine a company manufacturing an item paying anywhere near $20 for a Blu-ray or DVD player. What aspect of making the Wii U do you think Nintendo lost the money on?

The stupic controller is the biggest cash sucker.
---
XBOX360 - It only does everything.
#3CapnStankyPosted 12/20/2012 9:49:33 PM
It's a good thing they're not selling very many then.
---
GOTY 2012 Candidates: Sleeping Dogs, Mark of the Ninja, Borderlands 2, Forza Horizon, Halo 4
#4Golden MavenPosted 12/20/2012 9:50:49 PM
I find it hard to believe that the Wii-U is worth more than the retail price.
#5Baha05Posted 12/20/2012 9:51:44 PM
Wow troll troll post in a roll
---
"Gamestop will not be around in 10 years because physical games will no longer exist, it'll all be digital" Xeeh_Bitz
#6Tsutarja495Posted 12/20/2012 9:52:25 PM
The loss is so small they get it back after one game bought though, so it's pretty insignificant. And yes, the controller is where a lot of the money is going.
#7jeffhardyroxPosted 12/20/2012 9:52:54 PM
cheechmooster posted...

they don't suffer a huge loss, because every time even one wii u game is sold, they profit.
---
XBL:CaptFartBrain Currently Playing: BO2, Halo4, MortalKombat
SCAR Suppressed - Five Seven
#8Board_hunter567Posted 12/20/2012 9:52:56 PM
According to Reggie, it takes only one game sale to start profiting.
Still, unusual for them to not be making a profit from hardware alone.
#9geneticsftwPosted 12/20/2012 9:53:43 PM
CapnStanky posted...
It's a good thing they're not selling very many then.

Ha ha ha ha ha
#10HeaderHogPosted 12/20/2012 9:55:17 PM
They may sell at a loss, but the sale of one game is enough to make a profit.
---
I used to say Waluigi sucked.
Then I took a golf ball to the knee.