I just read that Nintendo sells Wii U consoles at a loss

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. I just read that Nintendo sells Wii U consoles at a loss

User Info: cheechmooster

cheechmooster
3 years ago#1
So I was doing some Google searches and reading about the Wii U I just bought when I stumbled upon some startling information. Here i was thinking about the profits Nintendo is making and how much money they are saving by not including Blu-ray or even a dvd player in the Wii U when I discovered that Nintendo is actually losing money on each console sold according to Nintendo chief "Satoru Iwata". How did a company like Nintendo get such a bad deal on the manufacturing of their Wii U consoles? Using Google shopping I found a Blu-ray player for $26 and a DVD player for $20 dollars. Combined with the cheap plastic they used to make the gamepad and console itself, plus the battery they put in the gamepad, how are they losing money? I can't imagine a company manufacturing an item paying anywhere near $20 for a Blu-ray or DVD player. What aspect of making the Wii U do you think Nintendo lost the money on?

User Info: silverbullt

silverbullt
3 years ago#2
cheechmooster posted...
So I was doing some Google searches and reading about the Wii U I just bought when I stumbled upon some startling information. Here i was thinking about the profits Nintendo is making and how much money they are saving by not including Blu-ray or even a dvd player in the Wii U when I discovered that Nintendo is actually losing money on each console sold according to Nintendo chief "Satoru Iwata". How did a company like Nintendo get such a bad deal on the manufacturing of their Wii U consoles? Using Google shopping I found a Blu-ray player for $26 and a DVD player for $20 dollars. Combined with the cheap plastic they used to make the gamepad and console itself, plus the battery they put in the gamepad, how are they losing money? I can't imagine a company manufacturing an item paying anywhere near $20 for a Blu-ray or DVD player. What aspect of making the Wii U do you think Nintendo lost the money on?

The stupic controller is the biggest cash sucker.
XBOX360 - It only does everything.

User Info: CapnStanky

CapnStanky
3 years ago#3
It's a good thing they're not selling very many then.
GOTY 2012 Candidates: Sleeping Dogs, Mark of the Ninja, Borderlands 2, Forza Horizon, Halo 4

User Info: Golden Maven

Golden Maven
3 years ago#4
I find it hard to believe that the Wii-U is worth more than the retail price.

User Info: Baha05

Baha05
3 years ago#5
Wow troll troll post in a roll
"Gamestop will not be around in 10 years because physical games will no longer exist, it'll all be digital" Xeeh_Bitz

User Info: Tsutarja495

Tsutarja495
3 years ago#6
The loss is so small they get it back after one game bought though, so it's pretty insignificant. And yes, the controller is where a lot of the money is going.

User Info: C88Goblin

C88Goblin
3 years ago#7
cheechmooster posted...

they don't suffer a huge loss, because every time even one wii u game is sold, they profit.
XBL:CaptFartBrain Currently Playing: BO2, Halo4, MortalKombat
SCAR Suppressed - Five Seven

User Info: Board_hunter567

Board_hunter567
3 years ago#8
According to Reggie, it takes only one game sale to start profiting.
Still, unusual for them to not be making a profit from hardware alone.

User Info: geneticsftw

geneticsftw
3 years ago#9
CapnStanky posted...
It's a good thing they're not selling very many then.

Ha ha ha ha ha

User Info: HeaderHog

HeaderHog
3 years ago#10
They may sell at a loss, but the sale of one game is enough to make a profit.
I used to say Waluigi sucked.
Then I took a golf ball to the knee.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. I just read that Nintendo sells Wii U consoles at a loss

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived